Installing and configuring the Jabber Psi+ client with the OTR plugin

Dirt

Professional
Reaction score
Greetings friend! Prompted me to write this manual because of frequent questions to me how to use this client and the OTR plugin, I honestly got tired of chewing everything to everyone. Therefore, I will write a great detail manual how and what to do and will add it to my signature below.

Let's get down to business, you will need to download Psi plus, because this client has OTR, OMEMO and PGP, which the usual Psi does not. So please download Psi Plus not just Psi. You can download it here, this is their official website - https://psi-plus.com/

1. Download the client along the red arrow shown, the red arrow will appear everywhere in this manual, so do not forget to pay attention to it on the screenshots.
1.JPG

2. Here you can choose the client that suits your OS.
2.JPG

3. You will be redirected to the client download page. We poke into the big green button and download.
3.JPG

Downloaded, well done! Now install it from the Downloads folder. I will not describe the installation process.

4. When starting the installed client, such a window may pop up with error
4.JPG

Do not panic, an error pops up when there is a shortage of one component for the client to work, you can download it from the official Microsoft website

If this error does not occur, then feel free to skip steps 5-6 and 7

5. Go here and poke the red button - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999
5.JPG

6. Next, such a window will pop up and there you to tick as on the screen, if you have a 32-bit system then check the one on top, click NEXT. The NEXT button will become active after you check the box for the file that suits you.
6.JPG

7. Next, go to the Downloads folder and run the "vcredist_x64.exe" file. Tick on the consent and poke on Install.
7.JPG

That's it, the problem of launching the client from Psi plus has been solved.

8. Next, start the client, 2 windows will pop up. You can register in the client itself by clicking on Register new account and choose the server you like, or if you have already registered somewhere then click on Use existing account. I will talk specifically about your already prepared account, using Use existing account. Links where you can register your Jabber account will be added at the end of this manual.
8.JPG

9. After selecting a window will appear where you will need to enter your nickname (XMPP Address) it looks like "[email protected]" and the password of your already registered account. Tick the check boxes as on the screenshot.
9.JPG

After all press the SAVE button, you are in the client. Done!

10. In the client go to Settings
10.JPG

11. A window with settings will appear, click on Plugins on the left as shown in the screenshot. Check the OTR box and go to the settings of the OTR plugin.
11.JPG

12. In the settings go to the Own keys tab and generate your fingerprint. It looks like this
13.JPG

Click OK and exit, that's it, OTR is configured. You can also configure OMEMO - an analogue of OTR but this is if your contact uses for example an iPhone, because they have another Jabber client and for some reason OTR is not there, maybe I'm wrong. In my experience it is but this is not certain, because I do not use or have never used Apple products so I can not say that for sure.

13. You can add contacts like this, poke on the icon as on the screen. In the XMPP Address field, drive in a contact and come up with a nickname for him in the Nickname field in your client (optional), you can add contact groups at your discretion.
15.JPG
14.JPG

14. Select a contact and right-click on it, a window will pop up, you need to select as shown in the screenshot. Further, your contact must verify you for himself or vice versa
3.JPG

Wait and as soon as he does this your contact will become active in your contact list.
IMPORTANT! Do not check this in the chat window, a notification about it will appear there in client itself. Many people simply don't notice and think that first authentication takes place in the chat window.

15. Next, open the chat window and click on the orange lock and select Authenticate contact
2.JPG

16. Authenticate the contact through a fingerprint as shown in the screenshot or if you want you can go through the question-answer, as you like.
1.JPG

The lock should be in the same state as on the screen, if there is a red question mark on it then authenticate the contact again. Done, you can chat now.

You can register your Jabber account using these links, everything is very simple - https://jabber.hot-chilli.net/ or https://thesecure.biz/