The vulnerability of the IFTTT autoposting service led to the hacking of crypto-influencers in X

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
On March 21, the accounts of several crypto industry influencers in X were compromised to promote the PACKY scam token. Probably, the hacker got access through the automatic post publishing service IFTTT (If This then That).

This is not me. Account hacked. Working to get it fixed. Don't click any links from me or (obviously) send money to a random address. pic.twitter.com/yKWnf2Dofd
— Packy McCormick (@packyM) March 21, 2024

One of the victims was the adviser Andreessen Horowitz (a16z) Packy McCormick. In the fraudulent post, the attacker called for investing in a new meme token "with big marketing plans and listings on CEX", attaching the address of the Solana wallet.

"It's not me. Your account was hacked. We are working to fix this. Don't follow my links and (obviously) don't send money to a random address," McCormick said after restoring access.

Later, the a16z adviser suggested that the hacker gained control of the account through IFTTT, which he "granted access to Twitter about ten years ago."

McCormick recalled the need to periodically revoke permissions from third-party apps.

IFTTT is a web service launched in 2011 that allows users to set up automated processes on various online platforms and social networks.

Justin Kahn, co-founder of the streaming platform Twitch, faced a similar problem.

Looks like I was hacked, don't buy any shitcoins pls
— Justin Kan (@justinkan) March 21, 2024

"It looks like I've been hacked, don't buy any shitcoins, please," he wrote.

Coinbase's chief Product Officer, Scott Shapiro, was also hacked. On his behalf, the hacker promoted the same PACKY token, which was allegedly launched in collaboration with the exchange's CEO, Brian Armstrong.

Is there anything that says web2.0 more than this list of connected apps?

Frightening how many decade old auth tokens are among these graveyards.

**Revoke All** pic.twitter.com/y6ptEK8r2r
— Scott Shapiro shapiro.eth (@scottshapiro) March 22, 2024

"Is there anything that says more about Web 2.0 than this list of connected apps? It's scary how many authorization tokens from ten years ago are in these cemeteries. Disable everything, " his post reads.

In addition, the attackers attacked the accounts of co-founder of the Rainbow Web3 application Mike Demarias, CEO of Asymmetric Finance Joe McCann and digital artist Brian Brinkman.

Update: Apologies for those scam tweets. My IFTTT account was breached, which had my twitter linked as a connected app and they were able to send out the tweets via that. I immediately deleted the tweets and disconnected connected apps, but they were able to send out 7 scam links…
— Bryan Brinkman (@bryanbrinkman) March 20, 2024

"The lesson I learned is that even when using 2FA and Yubikey, there are always vulnerabilities," the latter noted.

On-chain sleuth ZachXBT agreed with the assumption of a vulnerability on the part of IFTTT.

They got Packy & Justin Kan earlier today via IFTTT as well. pic.twitter.com/GnycqRVPHF
— ZachXBT (@zachxbt) March 22, 2024

Earlier, the official X-account of the manufacturer of hardware crypto wallets Trezor was hacked to promote cryptoscam. Hackers offered to send funds to the presale of a new token.

On March 19, unknown people hacked The Open Network blockchain account in X and posted a fake post about the airdrop.