Security team sees evolution of skinny slot-fitting ATM skimmers

tdotwire6

RIPPER
Reaction score
Found this on a physics site. Don't know what to make of the device. How is it possible to fit that whole thing in the card slot? Not possible, I think this article is wrong.

securityteam.jpg

http://phys.org/news/2012-07-team-evolution-skinny-slot-fitting-atm.html

The European ATM Security Team (EAST), an organization that collects ATM fraud reports, has been publishing their ATM fraud alerts, They have been issuing country crime updates from representatives of countries in the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), and from non-SEPA countries. They say a number of European countries are noticing higher-quality and more efficient skimming devices. According to EAST, one country which they have not named, alerted them about a new form of skimming device that is thin enough to be inserted directly into the card reader slot. These devices record the data stored on the magnetic stripe on the back of the card as it is slid into the compromised ATM. EAST notes that these insert-skimmers are continuing to evolve whereby a secondary component to record customers entering their PINs, such as a PIN pad overlay or hidden camera, is being used. EAST was alerted to the new skimmer by one of its reporting countries; the U.S. is no stranger to the fact that techniques in ATM card-reading crimes are always evolving.

robertas_25

Carder
Reaction score
looks fishy,,position of all the chips and msr head is very interesting. cant understand on what tipe of atm it could be used and how to insert it inside and keep it in place.. and then remove it

Last edited:
Reaction score
I saw this on the Krebs site, would love to see the original report from European ATM Security Team in case there are extra pics/info. I will card that if I get the time.

A really nice innovation in skimmer technology.

robertas_25

Carder
Reaction score
but how it keep magnetic stripe attached to msr head? accuracy of reading should be very low. to fit all this inside it might be possible. but to keep it in place where you want it and to get it out should be problematic...

sinatra

RIPPER
Reaction score
How much would you pay for this?

Ninja

Reaction score
If its working with green anti-skimmer - i will buy it myself with camera.

Reaction score
lol, just asking, there are some skimmers where you must modify the part around where the card is inserted. It is easy to open the stand alone ATM's.

goshko

Carder
Reaction score
I am working on it, but since nothing is pushing the card to the head it has very bad success rate. And if there is a JITTER, which most NCR have the rate is even worse

Ninja

Reaction score
WHat if no jitter is presented?