NLP Model: Timeline

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
To organize the experience over time, most people place images of events on imaginary curves - time lines.

D8UCk-TK5pU.jpg

Jack Makani estimates the number of people who do not use the timeline at 20%, I would subjectively estimate their number at 10-15%. In any case, there are a number of people who do not use the timeline.

Typically, timelines are used to determine the order of events and build causal relationships. At the same time, to understand whether the event was in the past, is happening now, or will occur in the future, the timeline is not required - for this you can use other submodalities. For example, images of the past can be faded or grayer.

A relatively large number of preferences are associated with the organization of time:

- the ability to plan well;

- rules for building cause-and-effect relationships;

- perception of goals;

- the habit of disassociating or associating;

- the tendency to "earn money";

- "planning horizon" - how much a person looks into the future;

- adherence to plans and commitments on time;

- do several things at the same time;

- orientation to the present, past or future.

A person can have several variants of timelines that he uses depending on the context or task. For example, a through time line at work and switched on - at home.

Timeline types: Included or end-to-end timeline.

-SQDKVcHHhI.jpg

The time line can pass through the human body, then they say about the "on" time line. If the time line does not pass through the body, they speak of a "through" time line.

Associated with these differences is the "In - Out of Time" meta-program.

People with the timeline turned on tend to:

associate in a situation;

do several things at the same time

easy to get distracted;

attach great importance to the context (the situation determines the behavior);

not commit to a deadline;

earn money;

focus on the present;

easy to change plans.

People with end-to-end timelines tend to:

dissociate from the situation;

focus on completing one task;

plan carefully;

Responsibly treat obligations on time;

determine the context (behavior determines the situation).

People with the included timeline usually "move" along the timeline passing and associating with the events located on it. People with a continuous timeline observe events from the outside.

Timeline shapes
Timelines come in a wide variety of types and shapes, here I will describe the most common options.

For most people, the future is usually located in the front upper right, in the area of visual design.

Accordingly, there can be an inversion for lefties.

The positions of the past are more varied: front-left-up, front-left-down, back-left-down, back straight (usually for an included timeline).

In this case, the time line usually has a slope to the horizon line - then the images of situations are partially visible one after another. If the time line is directed strictly forward, then the person will see only the closest situation.

The included timeline most often looks like an imaginary straight line passing through the chest and directed forward - to the right - upward.

The most common variants of the end-to-end time line are either a parabola, where the future is directed up-right, and the past is left-down or up-left; or an envelope curve where the future is forward-right-up and the past is back-left-down or back-left-up.

In general, timelines can have strange bends, loops, turns, and slopes.

Here are examples of "non-standard" timelines:

for one girl, the timeline looked like a very wide parabola, so to represent events she had to look either strongly to the right or to the left, but goals and expectations did not stick out in front of her all the time;

for one young man, the future passed in front of him and turned back to the right, so that his "planning horizon" was about a week in size;

one girl had a timeline in the form of a spiral around her body, from below there were events of the past, from above - events of the future, and she could easily compare the August of this year, past or future, but not December , which at that moment were behind;

for another girl, the future at the end turned to the left, into the area of visual memories - there she had images of important goals that she could not change (since the area of memory) and perceived as inevitable things that she would definitely achieve;

Time orientation

People can be past, present, or future oriented.

Related to this is the Time Orientation meta-program.

cAkhQN4Tyxs.jpg

People oriented to the past usually have images of the past in front of them, they are brighter and clearer than images of the present or the future. They build causal relationships from the past to the present: "In America, there has been a dominance of politicians lately, who thought only about minorities and the disadvantaged from their point of view, and did not think about the majority - it is understandable why this very majority has now chosen Trump."

In people oriented towards the present, the images of the present are usually large, are in front of them and often cover the images of the future (and the past, if it is in front). Causal relationships are not built, they give out information in a random order: "Now in the world that - and Syria is bombed, and refugees climb into Europe, and Trump was chosen, and we made a film about the tsar's affair with a ballerina."

By the way, people who do not have a pronounced timeline usually tend to think this way (the predominant meta-program “Present.”) Note that this is a subjective view of the present, not a philosophical one. The subjective present can be limited to the presentation of the current situation; include five minutes of the past, what is happening now and five minutes of a possible future; the idea of the day from how you woke up to how you fell asleep and the like.

Future-oriented people usually have more vivid and clear images of the future, and the past is more often directed backwards. They build causal links from the present to the future: "Now Trump has been chosen - and he wants to return production back to America, and this is a conflict with China, and if there is a conflict, then oil prices will fall."

Remember that the future differs from the past in its ability to change - if for the majority the past is stable, then the future is changeable and may have several options.

"Planning horizon" - how far a person looks into the future. For some, the "planning horizon" is limited to three months, for others it may be twenty years ahead. At the same time, people with a large "planning horizon" (five to twenty years) are usually prone to more conservatism than people with a short (several months - a couple of years) or medium (two years - five years).

Associated with these differences is the Comparison Focus meta-program. Timeline targets.

We can also place goals outside the timeline - usually this is what we want to achieve "in principle". But if we set a goal on the timeline, it will mean that it already has a deadline and usually the motivation to achieve these goals is higher.

Other ways to organize

The timeline is not the only way to organize experiences in time. For example, I've met people who use an imaginary calendar, like a google calendar. Or events are presented as a set of flipping slides with a time stamp, both digital, like a date, and analog: "the further into the past, the more faded the image."

Revealing the subjective timeline

1. Regularly recurring action

Think of a simple daily activity that you have done repeatedly in the past and are likely to do it again in the future. For example: taking a bath or shower, brushing your teeth, coffee in the morning.

2. Representation of the time line

Imagine this behavior of yourself, for example: today, yesterday, a week ago, a month, a year, five, ten years.

Similarly, tomorrow, in a week, in a month, in a year, in 3 years, 5, 10, 25, 50 years ... Define the "planning horizon" - until what point in the future this timeline continues.

3. Submodal differences

Notice what submodalities are associated with the perception of the past, present and future. Look at pictures from different times sequentially in a slightly faster way. Pay attention to color transitions, clarity, contrast, light, etc.

If the differences are not so obvious, then they become more pronounced if you think about how you do it at different times at the same time, for example, imagine how it was five years ago and how it will be in five years.

4. Draw a diagram of your timeline

Draw a diagram of your timeline. Place time values on it.

Simulation of someone else's timeline

Explore someone else's timeline and "try" it on yourself. Pay attention to:

the location of the line in space;

included or through;

line slope;

the density of the arrangement of pictures;

"Planning horizon";

location of targets;

submodalities of images (size, brightness, film / slide, clarity, etc.)

Explore and appreciate the pros and cons of this timeline for different contexts.

Editing the timeline

Experiment with the timeline: change parameters and track the pros and cons for different contexts.

For example:

change the timeline type: through / on;

the future in front or behind;

change the slope up / down;

change the width: closer to the center / further from the center;

"Planning horizon": three months, half a year, a year, 3, 5 10, 20 years;

the density of events on the timeline;

etc.

Return the timeline to its original state.

Highlight the main contexts where you might need different timelines, such as work, leisure, family.

For each context, construct your own timeline (if you wish, you can make one for all contexts - it depends on taste), evaluating the usefulness and convenience for this context. Conduct an environmental audit.

Start using the new (new) timeline in the right situations.

Your Hostages!

Tomcat

Professional
Reaction score

NLP: The Simulation Process​

f1e16796c11d7776096a2.png

Today I will tell you about the mechanisms and processes involved in the construction and use of models of the world (perception maps) call it what you want.
These mechanisms are at the heart of how we plan, learn, focus, dream, speak, and listen.
Considering that we are talking about manipulation, this topic is very important, but it is rarely touched upon, usually it is written about manipulations how to force a person to obey from a bunch of flounders. This is not how it works, manipulation is an art, here you have to create and create. And for this you need to have information that is not directly related to the manipulation itself. (For those who studied logic or psychology, I will not open a new one)
And so about the mechanisms, these are: Generalization, Omission, Distortion.

1) Generalization
The generalization mechanism enables us to understand how we can learn as quickly as possible. Many "new" behaviors are actually made up of pieces of past behaviors similar to new behaviors (crawl-walk-run). Through this process, we can generalize from old behavioral experiences ... and avoid the need to learn from scratch (ie, we constantly plug in past experiences and overlay them - generalize). This mechanism, like the following, in fact, underlies the process that we call thinking.
One of the forms of this process is our ability to memorize information in this way - "word = symbol", for example, a sofa, and then once having learned what a sofa is, we will begin to generalize all objects similar to a sofa and class them as sofas.
In communication, this manifests itself that you can tell a story without a specific description of figures and actions. For example: 1) "young people have used stimulants"
Here the action itself and those who performed this action are generalized. Despite the over-generalizations, everyone understood what I said, although personally I meant something specific: some schoolchildren tried amphetamine for the first time.

2) Omission
For us, kids, it is no longer a secret that an infinite number of units of information enter the brain (someone will say millions ... then I will say that it is more likely infinity). This is where the "omission" process begins to work. We omit a lot of information when we go somewhere, when we talk about something. This mechanism allows us not to overload our heads and pay attention only to what we are interested in.
How it manifests itself in communication. Let's take the situation: "young people have used stimulants." Here it was omitted: who exactly, what exactly.
I think you get the idea ... It's very simple

3) Distortion
Distortion as a universal process underlying the formation of our reality. This process is the foundation for most acts of creativity. By and managing this process correctly, one applying works of art, music, or literature. This process is also used to perceive these arts. But the most important function of this process is, in other words, pizdabolism.

How distortion manifests itself in speech: if you and a friend were in the same situation, you will talk about it differently. This is it.

Now the task:
Take the mechanisms of omission and generalization and on the basis of them, while listening to people, ask clarifying questions.
The task is to collect as much information as possible, to record for yourself the reaction of a person and to understand whether you need it or not. When I did the same for me, it was a great discovery.

Brother

Professional
Reaction score

NLP: explanatory metaphors​

5a2146e1e2056f950f6cb.png

Metaphors can be divided into therapeutic and explanatory. The purpose of therapeutic metaphors is to help a person solve a problem, and of explanatory ones to help to understand. A metaphor can be:
1. Direct analogy.
2. History.
3. Personal experience.
4. Parable.
5. Anecdote.
6. Proverb, saying.
7. Legend.
8. Toast
9. Fairy tale.
10. Anything
In principle, most often the types of metaphors differ only in the way of the story and the surrounding environment. The parables are recited in a chant and with a meta-message that this is very important. Jokes are fast and fun. Legends require a report of antiquity and a long and lengthy exposition.
With some patience and skill, one kind of metaphor can easily be translated into another. If I want to tell a parable, I chant and the main character is Khoja Nasreddin or the Buddhist Master, if I want to tell an anecdote, it will be a quick story about Petka with Vasily Ivanovich, or Stirlitz, or New Russian. The legend will tell about the heroes and sages of the past. A proverb is usually just a reminder of some kind of experience. Etc.
Remember the old story about turtles?

History
There was a scientist in America at the turn of the century, let's call him James. And he traveled around the country and read popular science lectures about the achievements of science. One day he came to a small town where the majority of the population were farmers. And so James came on stage and began his lecture. He feared that his lecture might not be understood, but the audience listened calmly enough. Only in the first row was a little dry old woman who was constantly giggling. James responded by increasing his eloquence, but she continued to giggle ...
But then the lecture ended, everyone went to the exit, and an old woman from the first row came up to James and sarcastically asked:
- Mr. James, what do you think the Earth is supported by?
The dumbfounded James immediately began to remember Kepler's law, but since he was a wise man, he simply asked:
- What do you think, ma'am?
- The earth is supported by a big turtle!
- And what does the turtle hold on ???? !!!
- You will not confuse me! There are turtles all the way to the bottom!

Joke
Once Petka and Vasily Ivanovich got drunk. I would like to talk to someone. Let's go look for Furmanov. Suitable. Petka asks:
- Tell me, Furmanov, and on what does the earth rest?
- But how can I tell you Petka. In general, nothing. It flies itself.
- No, - says Vasily Ivanovich, - it lies on the turtle.
- And what about the turtle: - Furmanov is amazed.
- And they are there to the very bottom.

Proverb
The turtles that hold the ground down to the bottom.

Parable
Once a peasant thought about what the Earth is supported on. He reflected on this day and night and went to Khoja Nasreddin. He came to him and said:
- Oh, Khoja. You have read many books, your head is gray and your wisdom is legendary. Answer me the question: what is the earth holding on to, why does it not fall into the abyss?
Khoja thought about it, and in order to gain time, he himself asked the old man a question:
- And what do you yourself think, on what the Earth is supported?
“In my opinion, on a giant turtle.
- And the turtle is on what, - Hodja was amazed.
- I think so, sir, they are there to the very bottom.

Legend
It was so long ago that even the memory of those countries was erased from human memory, the bones of those heroes decayed and the cities turned into ruins, which were covered with sand. But the legend has survived, which was passed from mouth to mouth, and although many years have passed, the truth contained in it has not been erased over time.
A young man, the son of a wealthy merchant, lived in an ancient country. And while the rest of the children were having fun, running and stealing apples in the neighboring gardens, he studied wise books, trying to comprehend the world around him. And then one day one question began to torment him:
- What does the earth hold on? An apple holds on to a tree, a tree grows from the earth, but what does the earth itself hold on?
And he asked the Teachers and Sages, Priests and Elders about this, read wise books written so long ago that we cannot even imagine, but could not find an answer anywhere. He spent a lot of money, stopped drinking and eating, and his mother cried at night, and his father turned gray ahead of time. And then one day, when a wandering dervish came to their city, the young man turned his question to him.
- I myself cannot answer your question. But in the east lies the land in which the sage lives. He is so wise that even animals come to ask him for advice, and he answers them in their language.
The young man caught fire, took the last money from his father and equipped the caravan. They walked for a long time through the deserts, crossed stormy rivers, fought off robbers and thieves. And finally they came to the mountain on which the Sage lived in a hut. The young man came to him with a mountain of the most wonderful silks, golden dishes adorned with precious stones, bags of coins and putting all this in front of him, asked:
- Oh, the wisest. I have walked here for hundreds of days and have endured many dangers and hardships. I have brought you rich gifts. You are my last hope. I know that your wisdom is so great that you know everything in the world. Answer me: what holds the earth on.
The sage interrupted the prayer, opened his eyes and, looking at the young man, said:
- She stands on a huge turtle.
- And what does that turtle lean on? the young man asked respectfully.
They're down there ,” the Sage replied with a smile.
Here the task of the metaphor is to beat the phrase " turtles to the very bottom " so that it is remembered and can be addressed. This is much faster and prettier than talking in detail about the various levels of generalization, the structure of information presentation, etc. Metaphor allows you to turn to the experience of a person and build a new understanding on its basis, providing only a form that each person can fill with their own content. The metaphor is more right-brain oriented and creates a colorful, vivid picture that is likely to be remembered much better than a dry explanation. And it will be available to the unconscious.
Andatory metaphors can be used both as the main teaching tool and as a powerful auxiliary system.
The simplest option is a direct analogy.
A tractor is just a very powerful car.
A giraffe is a horse with such a neck. And also with horns.

Ambiguity
Metaphors have one great property: they are polysemantic. Depending on the context, they will evoke a variety of experiences and associations, be filled with a separate meaning.

Anecdote on the occasion
Once a Georgian father called his Georgian son. And the son is such a 2-meter-high Kakhetian, ugly. Here, says the father:
- Gogi, I'll teach you wisdom now. Take one twig and break it.
He took it and broke it.
“Now,” says the father, “take ten twigs.
The son took it, broke it.
- Here, - says the father, - now break the bundle of brushwood!
Gogi hit one knee and broke.
- Wah, Gogi, - says the father, - you were born a fool, a fool and you will die!

I really love this metaphor in the context of a demonstration of a technique or exercise. You must do it in such a way (or suggest such an exercise) in order to get what you want with a very high probability, otherwise the result may be completely opposite.
If someone is in no hurry to join some joint work, then he can be rushed with such an anecdote:
Wife to husband: - Dear, let's have sex ...
Husband: - Go start, I'll come right now.

And this is about the relativity of statements
Two friends meet:
- I heard you got divorced?
- Yes ...
- And what's the matter, did you say that she is a beauty, her legs grow from her ears?
- Yes, and did you see where her ears are ???
In his 20s, he knew 9 operating systems. And not a single woman ...
... I didn't become a vegetarian because I love animals. I hate plants ...
One wife advises another:
“Don't worry that your husband is dragging behind every skirt.
My dog chases every car, but if he
catches up, you still don't know what to do with it!
The old maid, and sexually preoccupied, every evening, going to sleep, looked under her bed - if some guy had got there ... Ten years passed ... and she bought another bed ... so that her chances would increase twice ...
If someone really wants his problems to be solved for him, or wants the psychologist to explain why his right heel is itching, you can tell this anecdote.
Also, in my opinion, it is well suited to the case when someone is trying to pin their problems on you. Can be used in the context of "each has its own card".
There is also another area - the intention and context "everything that happens to you for some reason you need".
A young woman sleeps and has a dream:
She walks at night along a dark alley and suddenly hears footsteps behind her. Turns around and discovers that a huge negro is following her. She quickens her pace. He too. She's even faster. And he doesn't lag behind. She runs! And from behind the steps ran ... She runs into a dead end. The Negro grabs her, unfolds her ... The woman shouts:
- What are you going to do?
“I don't know, madam, because this is your dream ...

This anecdote can fit in the context of stereotyped behavior of people, stability of life.
There are three periods in every woman's life: in the first she gets on the nerves of her father, in the second - to her husband, and in the third - to her son-in-law.

Responsibility for actions, assessment of consequences, ecology.
Mother-in-law (son-in-law):
- You say I'm a burden to you ... But who made me a mother-in-law, if not you?!

About the fact that you need to take at least some specific steps towards the intended goal
The elderly Jew prayed to God all his life, begging for his winnings in the lottery. Every day he regularly offered up a prayer with this request, until, finally, one day the heavens opened and a voice was heard:
- Buy at least one lottery ticket!

About personal experience and trust
A lot of people gathered at one of the crossroads of Odessa.
- Why are so many people gathered? - asks a passer-by, - what happened?
- Nothing, but everyone wants to be convinced of this personally.

And this is about the lack of personal experience ...
Two Jews meet.
- I heard the Beatles, I didn't like it. They're lurking, fake, what can they only find in them?
- Where did you listen to them?
- Moishe sang for me.
A Texan talks about the size of his ranch:
- It takes me two days to drive from end to end on
car.
“I used to have a crappy car too,” he says sympathetically.
his interlocutor.

Suspiciousness and self-hypnosis
Two neighbors meet.
- All day, - says one, - the seaside wife complains of neurasthenia,
neuralgia, neuritis ...
- How do you explain this?
- Very simple. She was wrapped in a piece of bacon at the market
medical encyclopedia with the letter N.

About Context Reframing
- Daddy, who is a masseur?
- Masseur. This is a man who receives money from women for
what other men get in the face for.

Jollier

Professional
Reaction score

NLP in advertising. Reverse side of SCORE​

e2107816d536eb5bdc8d0.png

I am sometimes asked how is NLP used in advertising? And then they add: "Well, at the level of speech techniques when formulating advertising phrases and slogans, this is understandable. But is there any special advertising strategies or models in NLP?"
The question is generally difficult, because it is difficult to isolate one of its elements from the system and make it work alone. NLP, after all, is not really a set of tools, it is a system. However, there is one model that can be a standalone ad template. True, for this it had to be turned inside out :)

Reverse side of SCORE​

There is such a model in NLP - SCORE. It is usually used for counseling. However, the SCORE model, due to its structure, has another, less well-known, but no less powerful function - advertising and information. And in order to use it, you need to use SCORE exactly the opposite.
If you remember old man Ogilvie, he often said that the best advertisement for a product is to provide complete information about it. And, as experience shows, this is indeed the case. But wait, don't think that I mean technical or historical information! :) This is not interesting to anyone until they become buyers. In advertising, people need other information.

I think all professional sellers will agree with me - no product in itself is needed by anyone. What people really need is to satisfy their needs, solve their problems and fulfill their desires. Therefore, they will be interested in the product that will help them solve their specific tasks in a specific situation. And this is exactly what you need to provide people with complete information.
For this, SCORE is very handy. Five letters of the abbreviation SCORE correspond to five questions (five points SCORE), with the help of answers to which, you can describe any situation, giving a person a logically holistic idea of it.
And the beauty of this logical description is that it will have a formed need within itself, charged with motivation, the most obvious way of solving which will be the advertised product. What does it look like?

In the Russian translation (and in the advertising context), the SCORE points will sound like this:
S - "Symptom" - The situation at the moment, as it is.
О - "Desired result" - What we would like to have instead of the current situation.
E - "Effects" - What positive effects we will get when achieving the "Desired result".
C - "Reason" - Why the initial situation developed.
R - "Resource" - What we need to get the "Desired result".
Having answered the first four questions (of the ones listed above), we create a complete and logical description of the entire context in which a person has a need - a conscious desire, motivation and a complete understanding of why everything is so and not otherwise ... Now there is only one question that worries him - the question "How?" Or rather: "How can I, damn it, knowing all this, finally get what I want?"
And then we offer him the resource he demanded - a directly advertised product. It only remains to wait for him to make a decision (of course, if the context, need and motivation were relevant for him).

For clarity, I will give you an example of a short promotional article. The SCORE points in it follow the sequence described above and correspond to paragraphs.
The modern world is so arranged that life in it is filled with communication, on which a lot depends. We all periodically need to agree on something important with other people, to get what we need from them, and sometimes in these discussions we have to seriously defend our position or point of view. We do it as best we can, and, to be honest, we do not always succeed. And when it works, then more often, with the help of shouting, pressure, the use of powers or other not the mildest ways.
But, probably, almost every one of us would like to be able to resolve controversial issues calmly and confidently immediately in the course of a conversation, convincing people with the help of sound logic and competently presented arguments. And so that people would not just agree, but really accept our point of view and do what we agreed with them. As if we are old friends with them.

The prospects for such abilities are tempting. Anyone who knows how to convince and negotiate with people is successful not only in his business. Such people are needed by everyone and everywhere, and this means, at least, an increase in social status and an increase in income, and as a maximum - universal love and respect.
Naturally, successful communicators are not born. And neither school nor institutes teach this to a sufficient extent. Therefore, it turns out that learning how to effectively convince people and easily negotiate with them is possible only in special courses, which, for various reasons, are not available to everyone.
Approximately in this way, an advertising article is built from SCORE points: first, you describe the context of the problem, and then give a way to solve it. The sequence of the first four points does not really matter, the main thing is that the logic is observed, but the resource point always comes last. The use of all SCORE points is also not necessary - the cause and effect points can be skipped if necessary, if the integrity is preserved.

Author: Egor Bulygin, NLP trainer