Jabber Tutorial

kr0n1k

RIPPER
Reaction score
Soon i will be getting rid of my icq account for good. it feels like ive been saying this forever because everytime i tell someone please add me on jabber they start freaking out. but how? what? why? when? how does it work? so im writing this so that from now on i can just refer them to the post :)

If you dont know already ... ICQ IS NOT SAFE. they are constantly changing their protocol to not work with programs like pidgin and otr. the server admin can read ALL plain text messages. there are special programs made to scan thru words searching for words like "skimmer" "drops" "carding" "d+p" etc. and then theyll be watching your account like a hawk.

jabber is open source, and a safe protocol. i reccomend EVERYONE switch over to jabber. and boycott icq. FUCK ICQ!!!

first get the chat IM program and install it. i like pidgin the best
http://www.pidgin.im

then get the otr plugin to encrypt chats.
click on the first link that says "WIN32 installer for pidgin-otr"
http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

install pidgin first to the default directory ... then install the otr plugin.

then sign up for a public jabber(XMPP) account at any of the sites listed or any other ones you may have done your research on.
http://www.jabber.org/create-an-account/
http://www.jabbim.com/

to enable OTR messaging open pidgin ... go to tools ... click plugins. then scroll down untill you see "Off-the-record Messaging" and make sure the little box beside it is checked.

now you need to link your jabber account to pidgin ... at the top goto accounts, then click manage accounts. a box will pop up. now click add. there will be a little drop down menu beside protocol. click on this and scroll down to XMPP.

in username type in your username from jabber.org
in domain type in jabber.org
in password type in your password.
(replace domain jabber.org if you signed up with another server)

in a few seconds you should be connected and can start adding your fellow jabber friends :)

Encrypted chats:
once a chat box is opened with one of your friends. you will notice in the bottom right hand side in RED writing "Not Private" click on this and goto Start Private Conversation.

now asuming that your friend also has OTR installed, within a few seconds it will change from "Not Private" to "Unverified" again, you want to click on "Unverified" and click on "Authenticate buddy"

there are various ways to authenticate your buddy. one thats simple is asking a question. like what color is the sky? Answer: Blue.

Once your buddy has entered the correct answer to your question, the letters in the right hand side will now say "Private" Now your safe to chat.

-kr0n1k

Last edited:

faktory

BANNED
Reaction score
Please note, if you want to make a deal with this user, that it is blocked.
Everyone should be doing this

kr0n1k

RIPPER
Reaction score
definatly everyone should be switching over ... maybe admin can PayPaly this post ;)

-kr0n1k

Lucy

Carder
Reaction score
Yes, good post. rep +1 OP.
Jabber is the future. Pidgin is a good program and is open source. XMPP protocol is open source too. OTR is a good plugin. Good way to communicate.
I also recommend TOR, another open source tool.

cashin

BANNED
Reaction score
Please note, if you want to make a deal with this user, that it is blocked.
Good post. I ended to use ICQ long time ago and i now use only jabber using PSI with GPG key enabled but have ICQ+OTR too. Nice programs and as u said i hope all guys here will stoop using ICQ and start with Jabber instead of get pissed when we ask to add our jabber ;)

senshido

Professional
Reaction score
This is a very necessary thing for people to switch to, security should always be a priority in this biz.

turbobox

Professional
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial, from now on I'll start using jabber.

SellToAnyOne

Professional
Reaction score
if you have your own server to host the jabber server is better.. I do not trust public services .. because long as they have your user name ( login id ) they can trace you ....