In the Vinnytsia region, a hacker was detained who "earned" more than UAH 3.5 million by stealing data from residents of the United States and Canada

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
The cyber police exposed a hacker who used malware to steal personal data of residents of Canada and the United States, and then sold it to people interested in embezzling the victims savings. The attacker contacted customers using a Russian phone number. I received payment in bitcoins and transferred funds to my bank card and my wife's card.

A 31-year-old resident of the Vinnytsia region created malicious software to steal personal data from the Android operating system. The resulting confidential information was later used by the attacker to break into the accounts of Google services, according to the Cyber Police.

598058820d.png

To spread the virus, the hacker created and administered several sites where he offered users to download a variety of software for free. The person involved launched an entire advertising campaign on the Internet to promote controlled web resources.

After installing the modified malware, the victims ' computers were infected with malicious code. Thus, the attacker gained access to bank accounts, online banking systems, and other personal data.

262a7d76a7.jpeg

It is known that Vinnichanin attracted accomplices from the darknet to his activities, whose identities are being established.

On February 14, law enforcement officers with the strong support of special forces "KORD" of the GUNP in the Vinnytsia region conducted 3 searches, as a result of which, among other things, a Mercedes-Benz GLE car was seized, the market value of which is approximately 2.5 million UAH.

b45a9a27aa.jpeg

It is established that the man began to engage in criminal activity in 2017. And since 2021, it has switched to mass phishing. According to preliminary data, in this way he "earned" at least 3.5 million hryvnias. The victims of his actions were residents of the United States of America and Canada.

The suspect faces up to 8 years in prison with confiscation of property. Currently, the Vinnytsia City Court is deciding on the choice of a preventive measure in the form of detention.