How does a POS terminal determine use of chip rather than track

Georgie

Carder
Reaction score
I put all 3 of my cards through the MSR and there is nothing really between them.

When i went to buy something with my citi card it said please insert card after swiping it.... ie: must use chip (citi card has magstripe and chip)

Using the HSBC which has no chip, cant call for chip because it has none.

But how does a POS terminal determine the use of a chip on the card by reading the tracks?

Something preset with the merchants?

Maybe someone could answer this, because all tracks with and without chips are even the same formats.

Thanks

---------- Сообщение добавлено в 11:12 PM ---------- Предыдущее сообщение размещено в 11:05 PM ----------

Actually guys, so sorry.... !! :confused::D

See it now !! 101 is magstripe only i assume and with 201 is with chip, which is called for by the POS terminal if capable after reading track1/2

Maxi

BANNED
Reaction score
Please note, if you want to make a deal with this user, that it is blocked.
It's not reading the tracks first. In first step it checks for the chip. Chip means "contact card". There is a microprocessor over it and takes the energy from that contact. Terminals first checks if it provides some information. Otherwise checks for magnetic strip.
100% Right .

bobby

DEER
Reaction score
are you sure that a pos works like that ? that it first checks if there is a chip or not ? and then use allways the stripe ? all pos in all shops work like this ?

i think there must be something one card...or ?

strykn

Carder
Reaction score
edit: Don't want this bypass public. PM if u want info.

Last edited: