Feds: 18 charged in $200M global credit card fraud

DMS

Professional
Reaction score
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Eighteen people were charged in what may be one of the nation's largest credit card fraud rings, a sprawling international scam that duped credit-rating agencies and used thousands of fake identities to steal at least $200 million, federal authorities said Tuesday.

The elaborate scheme involved improving fake cardholders' credit scores, allowing the scammers to borrow more money that they never repaid, investigators said.

"The accused availed themselves of a virtual cafeteria of sophisticated frauds and schemes, whose main menu items were greed and deceit," said David Velazquez, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI's Newark field office.

Paul Fishman, the U.S. attorney in Newark, described an intricate Jersey City-based con that began in 2007, operated in at least 28 states and wired money to Pakistan, India, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, Romania, China and Japan.

The group used at least 7,000 fake identities to obtain more than 25,000 credit cards, Fishman said. He said investigators documented $200 million in losses, but the figure could rise.

"Through their greed and arrogance," Fishman said, the people arrested harm credit card companies, consumers and "the rest of us who have to deal with increased interest rates and fees because of the money sucked out of the system by criminals."

Participants in the scam set up more than 1,800 mailing addresses, creating fake utility bills and other documents to provide credit card companies with what appeared to be legitimate addresses, investigators said. Once they obtained the cards, they started making small charges and paying off the cards to raise their credit limits, authorities said.

They then sent fake reports to credit-rating agencies, making it appear that cardholders had paid off debts, setting the stage for sterling credit ratings and high credit limits, investigators said.

Fishman said once the credit limits were raised, participants would take out a loan or max out the credit card and not repay the debts.

The group also created at least 80 sham businesses that accepted credit card payments, Fishman said. The group would run the fraudulently obtained credit cards through the machines, keeping the money, he said.

The scheme funded a lavish lifestyle for the accused, including spa treatments, electronics, luxury cars and millions of dollars of gold, Fishman said. In one raid, authorities said they found $78,000 stashed in an oven.

Three jewelry stores in Jersey City were closed Tuesday and their inventory seized, Fishman said.

The stores are located within blocks of one another in a heavily Indian section of Jersey City. All had signs advertising gold jewelry. Their metal security gates were shut. Two were surrounded by yellow crime scene tape and were guarded by FBI agents.

Thirteen defendants were arrested Tuesday.

Seven defendants appeared before federal Judge Madeline Cox Arleo on Tuesday afternoon. Most were casually dressed middle-aged men; one was a woman. Lawyers said one man was a taxi driver, another a limo driver. Many own property in New Jersey or New York and are U.S. citizens. Three were released and four remain in custody ahead of a Friday bail hearing.

Prosecutors allege one man was able to withdraw and wire $1.5 million from personal accounts despite not having a job. They said he engaged in an "enormous" amount of travel to Pakistan and was ordered held.

Authorities said many of the defendants had family ties, including a father and son.

Six more defendants were to appear in court late Tuesday afternoon.

Lawyers for the defendants declined to comment.

Four of the defendants named in Tuesday's indictment were arrested previously and three have pleaded guilty. Others have not yet been charged and the investigation was ongoing, Fishman said.

All were charged with one count of bank fraud and face up to 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine.

___

http://money.msn.com/identity-theft/news.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130205&id=16082591

Badger

RIPPER
Reaction score
They were doing this since 2003.

Here's indictment from DOJ
hxxp://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/NJ.pdf

and this article explains a little better how they do these thing:
hxxp://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-05/18-accused-by-u-s-of-200-million-credit-card-fraud.html

A crime ring based in New Jersey created thousands of fake identities to obtain 25,000 credit cards and steal more than $200 million in one of the largest scams of its type, the Justice Department said.

Eighteen people engaged in a conspiracy to create thousands of false identities and credit profiles, burnish their creditworthiness, and take large loans that were never repaid, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation arrest complaint unsealed today in federal court in Newark, New Jersey.

“This is, as far as we can tell, one of the largest, if not the largest, credit card fraud cases ever prosecuted by the Department of Justice,” U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman said at a news conference in Newark. “We have already documented losses of $200 million, and that number could quite well go higher.”

The ring used a sophisticated blend of identity theft and credit card fraud, Fishman said. Millions of dollars were wired to Pakistan, India, the United Arab Emirates, China, Romania, Japan and Canada, the FBI claims. The defendants also bought luxury cars, electronics, spa treatments, high-end clothing and millions of dollars in gold, according to the FBI.

“The goal is to get credit cards, get the credit limits as high as possible, then use those credit limits to max them out, and then walk away,” Fishman said. “A lot of what they did was very painstaking and very sophisticated and took a long time.”
Jewelry Stores

Thirteen people were arrested today, and authorities searched 13 locations. They have seized three jewelry stores in Jersey City. Four people were previously charged, and three pleaded guilty. Authorities had earlier seized cash, including $68,000 from a defendant’s stove in Jersey City, and $2 million in gold from a jewelry store in that city.

Fishman said that credit card companies cooperated throughout the 18-month probe of a scam that began in 2007 or earlier. He said prosecutors charged the top operators.

The leaders, Fishman said, were Babar Qureshi, 59, of Iselin, New Jersey, and Muhammad Shafiq, 38, of Bellerose, New Jersey. Eleven live in New York, six in New Jersey, and one in Pennsylvania. Most are Pakistani, and some are U.S. citizens, Fishman said.

Those arrested today appeared in federal court in Newark this afternoon. They are charged with conspiracy to commit bank fraud, and face as many as 30 years in prison.

At the hearing, Assistant U.S. Attorney Zach Intrater said Qureshi posed a “profound risk of flight,” and U.S. Magistrate Judge Madeline C. Arleo ordered him detained until a bail hearing on Feb. 8. Intrater said he has access to “enormous sums of money” and often travels to his native Pakistan. After the hearing, Qureshi attorney Paul Casteleiro declined to comment.
‘Lower-Level’

“The investigation is continuing,” Fishman said at the news conference. “There are lots of people with whom these defendants were working, who have not yet been charged and have not yet been caught, and may have had lower-level functions.”

After using 7,000 false identities to obtain 25,000 credit cards, the conspirators ran the scam through real businesses such as the jewelry stores, and at least 80 sham companies that used more than 1,800 addresses, according to Fishman and the FBI.

The network also used black-market businesses known as “tradeline” providers, according to Fishman. A primary tradeline is a line of credit in a credit history, which affects how much a user can borrow. A second type of tradeline allows a credit card holder to add an authorized user to an account. That lets an authorized user raise his credit score.

The complaint referred to CC-1, a co-conspirator who e- mailed a defendant in February 2011 about primary tradelines for sale.
‘Ongoing Dialogue’

Fishman said the credit card companies, which he wouldn’t identify, have “ongoing dialogue every day” with the FBI and other agencies that helped to build the case. The U.S. Postal Inspection Service, U.S. Secret Service and Social Security Administration also worked on the case.

“They were working very closely with the FBI and the other investigative agencies and our office to detect this,” Fishman said. “They’ve been very helpful in helping us figure out which credit cards were real and which were not, which accounts were real and which were not.”

Banks and U.S. investigators give each other leads “all the time,” he said.
‘Real Cooperation’

“There’s real cooperation that goes on between the banks and credit card issuers and law enforcement to try to track this stuff down,” Fishman said.

A Miami computer hacker, Albert Gonzalez, was sentenced in March 2010 to 20 years in prison for leading the largest U.S. identity-theft ring, stealing 130 million credit- and debit-card records from Heartland Payment Systems Inc. (HPY) and other companies.

Gonzalez pleaded guilty to thefts from Heartland, 7-Eleven Inc., Delhaize Group’s Hannaford Brothers Co. and two unidentified national retailers. Another judge sentenced Gonzalez to 20 years for stealing 40 million credit- and debit- card records from retailers including TJX Cos. (TJX), OfficeMax Inc. and BJ’s Wholesale Club Inc. The sentences run at the same time.

The case is U.S. v. Qureshi, 13-mj-8013, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey (Newark).

jamal911

Professional
Reaction score
how much money do you need to stop is the question you need to ask

restinrdp

Reaction score
Never heard of a billionaire in dollars fraudster and i know some people wanna be. So its not about how much before you stop bro! Crime is addictive....try stop getting online and see how it feels like!

j.bronowski

Professional
Reaction score
I disagree, I think it is about how much you make before you stop, but on the other hand I have stopped n started more than once.... :D

elcharro

Carder
Reaction score
I disagree, I think it is about how much you make before you stop, but on the other hand I have stopped n started more than once.... :D

totally 100% on the dot mate have done the same start my own RL biz and it gets so boring after a while, I never really leave carding totally but tone it down when I'm starting RL biz but can't stay away for long.

kojax

Carder
Reaction score
alot has to do with what your doing with the money your making....alot of people is living pay check to pay check....meaning before they even make the money(sometimes) it's spent.....and their waiting for the next sting...this is always a bad thing to do when you getting fast money....AT SOMETIME FAST MONEY SLOWS UP THEN WHAT...? so if you dont plan for the future you will always be hustling to be hustling....at some point some of us need to come together and create something legit (software/hardware) that we can sell to these banks, walmart, bestbuy, etc,etc,...pharmaceutical company's has been doing this for years...create the problem and then have the cure(not really the cure just something that will help you get thru the pain)....it's alot of great minds here let's make something happen....we've read too many stories like this and too many associates has fallen victim to this...we all know nothing last forever....any body that knows coding PM me.....

elcharro

Carder
Reaction score
alot has to do with what your doing with the money your making....alot of people is living pay check to pay check....meaning before they even make the money(sometimes) it's spent.....and their waiting for the next sting...this is always a bad thing to do when you getting fast money....AT SOMETIME FAST MONEY SLOWS UP THEN WHAT...? so if you dont plan for the future you will always be hustling to be hustling....at some point some of us need to come together and create something legit (software/hardware) that we can sell to these banks, walmart, bestbuy, etc,etc,...pharmaceutical company's has been doing this for years...create the problem and then have the cure(not really the cure just something that will help you get thru the pain)....it's alot of great minds here let's make something happen....we've read too many stories like this and too many associates has fallen victim to this...we all know nothing last forever....any body that knows coding PM me.....

you are right mate when I first started in this biz I thought it would only last for 2 years or so, how wrong was I I've been around for 14 years, of course I have done good things with it if I was to stop today I would be ok, I wouldn't be a millionaire but I would do good!! have a couple of businesses running for a while now and doing ok so yes people should look into getting something going besides this because you'll never know.
I hope we don't get in trouble for drifting from the post but that's just my 2 cents!

j.bronowski

Professional
Reaction score
I know exactly what u r saying :) I think if carders realized that early on in their career (or some1 kicks it in their thick heads) they would be much better off.

Idul

Carder
Reaction score
It became there resource of living, instead of getting that cash stored and stay on the legal part as much as possible..completly would be hard for most of us i think :D

Syc0

VIP member
Reaction score
I think as a carder you need to plan above carding if you wish to succeed. Think of your carding money as your capital and then create a plan to legitimize that capital and eventually lose the need to card at all.

Dr10450

Carder
Reaction score
smart idea

I think as a carder you need to plan above carding if you wish to succeed. Think of your carding money as your capital and then create a plan to legitimize that capital and eventually lose the need to card at all.

wise words