How to make a hacker iPhone or iPad (Pentest on iOS)

Lord777

Professional
Reaction score
Content
  • 1 How to make a hacker iPhone or iPad
    • 1.1 iOS Jailbreak
    • 1.2 Cydia
    • 1.3 MobSF
    • 1.4 Frida
    • 1.5 Objection
    • 1.6 Runtime Mobile Security (RMS)
    • 1.7 Grapefruit
  • 2 Conclusion
We told you how to make a hacker smartphone using Termux and Kali Linux. That article was about Android. Today I'll show you how to make a hacker iPad or iPhone on iOS. This will be more of a methodology than a step-by-step guide, since some jailbreak tools may not be relevant at the time of reading this article.

How to make a hacker iPhone or iPad​

You may recall from the previous article that using Android emulators is a useful topic. But this was only true for Android. iOS emulators are not full-fledged emulators, because only the basic needs of the application to run are modeled, so they are called simulators. To test the app on the simulator, you'll need Xcode on your Macbook device.

Due to the limited capabilities of the iOS Simulator, I will only offer you the settings, tools, and methods that I use on a physical device.

iOS Jailbreak​

Jailbreaking is the process of removing restrictions and expanding the capabilities of devices based on the iOS operating system.

There are two common and completely different jailbreak methods:
  • A tethered jailbreak requires users to perform the jailbreak process every time they restart the device.
  • An untethered jailbreak is a one-time action and has no restriction.
Both jailbreaks allow you to install "unauthorized" software on proprietary Apple devices, i.e. apps that are not installed from the Apple Store and have not been approved or verified by Apple. These include apps from the Cydia app store.

There are various tools for jailbreaking iOS:
  • Checkra1n
  • Palera1n
  • Unc0ver
Let's look at each one separately.

Checkra1n​

Checkra1n is a semi-connected jailbreak method, so you need to connect to your computer every time you want to re-jailbreak. The advantage is that you can still use your iPhone in a non-jailbroken state after turning it off and on again.

Hacker's iPhone. iOS Jailbreak Checkra1n

In addition, checkra1n uses a bootrom hardware exploit called checkm8, which works on devices with the A7 chip and devices as new as the A11 chip, for example. iPhone 5S to iPhone X. If you don't have a Linux device, bootra1n can be used to easily jailbreak your iPhone.

Palera1n​

Palera1n, as described by its developers, is a developer-oriented jailbreak for checkm8 (A8-A11) devices running on iOS 15.0-16.5. This means that devices such as the iPhone X with iOS 16 can only be hacked using this technique on a Macbook or Linux computer. Palera1n has all the features that checkra1n has, but the main drawback is that on A11 devices, you have to disable your password and won't be able to use your password or other SEP features until you boot into the standard iOS state.

Unc0ver​

Unc0ver is a semi-detached jailbreak method, so you won't need to connect to your computer every time you want to re-jailbreak. The advantage is that you can still use your iPhone in a non-jailbroken state after turning it off and on again.

Hacker's iPhone. iOS Unc0ver Jailbreak

In addition, Unc0ver uses many different tfp0 software exploits, which means that Apple can fix it with software updates. As a consequence, Unc0ver only works for iOS versions prior to 14.8, because Apple fixed issues that allowed Unc0ver to run.

Cydia​

The correct use of publicly available apps from the Cydia Store is crucial for a successful penetration test. While some may work on their own, others require a combination of them to perform the action successfully. To help you deal with the headache of finding apps to use, I've created a list of apps from the Cydia Store. Of course, the same can be found in Zebra or Sileo stores.
As I mentioned, the iOS environment is really complex, and sometimes you may need to use 2 or 3 apps to complete an action successfully. For example, to install an app, you may need Filza + AppSync Unified + IPA Installer. Or, to successfully bypass the advanced jailbreak detection mechanism, you can use Choice + KernBypass.

Having a machine with all the necessary tools pre-installed is cool, so I recommend Mobexler as a virtual machine.

If you still only need a couple of third-party tools, I'll give you a quick overview of the most popular tools that I use in almost all of my iOS projects. All the installation tools and methods described below are designed for Ubuntu, but you can find information about Windows.

MobSF​

The Mobile Security Framework (MobSF) is an automated, universal platform for testing mobile applications (Android / iOS / Windows), analyzing malware, and evaluating security.

MobSF has features such as vulnerability detection, code analysis for malware, static and dynamic vulnerability detection, network traffic analysis, API security verification, and much more.

Hacker's MacBook. MobSF

You can use MobSF to perform static and dynamic analysis of mobile apps. Static analysis allows you to examine the source code and resources of an application without actually executing it. Dynamic analysis involves running an application in a controlled environment and monitoring its behavior in real time.

Installation is simple and consists of the following three steps:
git clone https://github.com/MobSF/Mobile-Security-Framework-MobSF.git
Mobilecd -Security-Framework-MobSF
./setup.sh

We reviewed MobSF in our review of the best vulnerability scanners.

Frida​

As already mentioned many times, Frida is a must-have tool that every pentester should have in their arsenal of hacking programs. Frida allows you to perform dynamic analysis by embedding JavaScript scripts that interact with the operating system.

Frida can intercept any function, monitor the API or application code.

You can easily install Frida using:
python3 -m pip install frida-tools

Once you have installed Frida on your hacker station, you can easily search for already created scripts on https://codeshare.frida.re/ or create your own. Alternatively, you can use scripts with any of the following commands:
frida -U -f Twitter -l script.js
frida -U -F -l script.js

We discussed the use of Frida in the article "Embedding code in someone else's application using Frida".

Objection​

Objectionis a set of pentester tools created on the basis of Frida, which helps to assess the security level of mobile applications without jailbreaking.

You can set an Object using pip:
python3 -m pip install objection

Runtime Mobile Security (RMS)​

Runtime Mobile Security (RMS) allows you to monitor and analyze the network interaction of a mobile application to detect potential vulnerabilities, data leaks, or suspicious activity. Uses machine learning and behavior analysis algorithms to detect abnormal actions or potentially malicious app activity.

To install RMS:
installnpm -g rms-runtime-mobile-security

Grapefruit​

Grapefruit, formerly known as Passionfruit, allows you to view objects stored in a keychain, the private directory of the entire application, decompiled source code, and much more.

Installing Grapefruit:
installnpm -g igf

Conclusion​

I hope this article was useful and helped you set up your hacker device on iOS.