"You will soon get rich, but first tell me confidential data"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
They called me and introduced themselves as an employee of FinCoNet, an international organization whose members are the supervisory authorities of twenty-two countries, including USA and Europa.
The employee introduced himself as Kate Smith and said that a law firm from an offshore zone, under a power of attorney issued in my name, was transferring funds from the brokerage company's account to my account in the amount of 8240 euros.
This power of attorney was sent by the Central Bank for additional verification to the FinCoNet organization, since the reliability of the information in the power of attorney seemed questionable, and recently, cases of fraud on such transfers have become more frequent.
Please confirm the accuracy of this information and confirm the presence of this employee.

Financial Culture Expert:
This is a typical example of fraud on behalf of a real organization. In this case, on behalf of the international organization for the protection of the rights of consumers of financial services FinCoNet. In fact, she does not work directly with consumers, so her real employees could not call Anna.
Most likely, the attacker found Anna's full name and phone number in open sources. Under the pretext of "checking the power of attorney" for the "transfer of several thousand euros", the fraudster hoped to extract personal data from her.
Usually, cybercriminals are interested in secret information on a bank card (expiration date, CVV / CVC codes), which will allow them to steal money from the account of a gullible interlocutor. Also, telephone scammers can ask for passport data, and then secretly apply for a loan for it.
Fraudsters expect that the names of reputable organizations will confuse a person, and the good news of the imminent transfer of a large sum will lull vigilance.

To prevent attackers from enriching themselves at your expense, always follow the financial security rules:
  • Do not dictate secret data to anyone under any pretext: only scammers ask to name the codes on the back of a bank card, PIN codes and passwords from SMS from the bank.
  • Never share personal information about your bank accounts and other financial assets with strangers, or do it under an agreement that will specify the terms of use of such data. Never send copies of your documents to companies that you have not dealt with before until you have verified the information about them.
  • If they call you on behalf of the Bank or refer to the regulator, call the hotline and report it. You can also request information or report fraudsters through the regulator's online reception.
In all cases, when you are faced with financial fraudsters, write a report to the police.
For more information on what to do if cybercriminals managed to gain access to your account, read the text "What to do if money was stolen from a bank card."