"You have a letter from the Portal of State Services and monetary compensation!"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
A letter came to the mail from the portal of state services, but for some reason it was in spam. I open it - they write that I am entitled to social compensation, then the codes of some decree and even the name of the employee, who can be contacted for details. Below is the link where you need to activate the letter to request a payment.
The letter is designed one-to-one as the official mailing of the portal and is written in such official language. I almost clicked on the link, but suddenly I remembered my friend. She somehow also received a message about compensation. She was delighted, went to some website, entered her card details there in order to receive money - and they were debited from her instead of being credited.
I decided to take a closer look. Everything is decorated beautifully, but the content of the letter is kind of mess: they refer to the order number, then to the decree number. They propose to contact the "operator from the Central Service" for all questions, I googled - these are bailiffs. What does social benefits have to do with it?
I dug some more: I scored the number of this wonderful resolution in the search directly - and there are a lot of reviews from other people. They write that they receive the same letters and that they are scammers. It's good that I stopped in time. And I want to warn others.

Financial Culture Expert:
Fraudsters are constantly sending out such "letters of happiness" on behalf of well-known organizations. They expect that the person will be delighted with the sudden payments, lose their vigilance and follow the link.
But in no case should this be done. By clicking on the link, the user runs the risk of downloading a dangerous virus that will steal personal and payment data from his device.
Either a person ends up on a phishing site disguised as an official Public Services Portal or some other well-known resource. There, the user is often asked to enter the SNILS number, TIN, passport data or other information in order to allegedly "apply for social compensation" or "check the amount of payments".
Fraudsters, under any pretext, try to lure confidential information. And then they can use it, for example, to get a loan in someone else's name .
To receive the promised social payment, a person is asked to enter the full details of the card - including the expiration date, three digits from the turnover, codes and passwords from bank notifications. Allegedly, these data are needed "to transfer money" or "to pay a small commission".
If the cardholder provides this information, then the criminals will gain access to his account and can steal everything that is there. And the bank does not compensate the client for anything, because he voluntarily disclosed secret data to the swindlers.

Cybersecurity rules will help you secure your money and data:
  • Never follow the links from dubious messages - it is better to delete them immediately, do not enter secret information on suspicious sites. How to distinguish official resources from fakes, read the text "Safe shopping on the Internet".
  • Double-check the information. When you receive a letter from a well-known organization about sudden compensations, competitions and other attractions of unprecedented generosity, try to find the message in the original source. Go to the organization's official website, call it, look for information about payments in the leading media.
  • Install antivirus software on all your gadgets to help protect them from malware and spam.

You can learn more about the schemes that scammers use to lure out money and data in the text " Social Engineering: Why People Give Money to Scammers".