"Write me the code in the messenger"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
John:
An old friend wrote to me on Facebook. She said she had lost my number and asked to be reminded. I recalled. And then she asked to help her out: she was buying something, and the seller had to send her a confirmation code, and her phone was dead. She asked me to indicate my number so that the SMS would come to me, and I would have thrown off the code from the SMS in Facebook to her. Then I tensed and called a friend. As I suspected, she did not write me anything. I think they were scammers, but what's the catch, why would they send me a code?

Financial Culture Expert:
This is one of the online fraud schemes. Cybercriminals hack or copy a person's profile on a social network, and then knock on everyone they know from their contact list. As a rule, people see a familiar face and do not feel the catch.
Then the scammers ask to "remind" the mobile number. Often, criminals already have databases in which you can find out the details of a person's bank card by phone number.
Then they make a transfer or payment from this card. But to do this, they need to find out the code that is sent in an SMS message to the cardholder.
Even if a very good friend asks for a small favor - to provide the code from SMS, this should never be done. If you succumb to persuasion, you will not help your friend, but the fraudsters will write off the money from your card, and the bank will not return it - after all, you yourself gave the secret data to the criminals.
How can you protect yourself from fraudsters in such a situation? For a start, you should call your friend, who asks him to help out. Most likely, it turns out that he does not know anything about mailings on his behalf. And thanks to your call, he will be able to warn all his acquaintances on the social network that his profile has been hacked or forged.
The second thing that must be remembered firmly: no one and under no circumstances can be told codes from SMS messages that the bank sends. Moreover, you cannot name the secret CVC / CVV-code on the back of the card.
For purchases on the Internet, you should use a separate card and do not store money on it - put only the amount that is necessary for the purchase, right before paying. Scammers usually get into the databases the details of exactly those cards with which you pay in online stores.