"We will reimburse everything that scammers stole from you"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
I want to share my story. I hope she teaches someone something. A week ago, I took part in an online survey, for which I was promised $ 300. It turned out that they were scammers, they charged me a commission of $ 2, and then they removed everything that was there from the card - more than four thousand more. I was very upset and angry, but it was my own fault. She wrote angry reviews on the online survey site, posted a lot of information about their scheme on social networks - warned everyone that this was a complete divorce.
And yesterday I received a letter from the Center for Financial Protection by e-mail. They write that they return money to people whom scammers have deceived and robbed on the Internet. I think, hurray, well, finally. I followed the link to their website, typed in the last digits from the card number and clicked "check my compensation." It turned out that they would give me $ 1000! I thought it was a lot, but there were reviews from people who received almost $ 2500 each.
Then a chat with a lawyer opened, Alexander was his name. I had to answer the questions online. We talked in a chat, I told how they deceived me, gave my full name and my phone number. He writes to me on this that for paperwork it is necessary to pay for his services - $ 10, and threw off the link. I went over and paid.
In short, it also turned out to be a scam !!! I was immediately withdrawn $ 50 from my card and then they tried to withdraw some more amount, but it was not on the card already! I don’t understand how you can deceive people! I called the bank, they told me to urgently block the card and write a statement to the police. Guys, this is horror, twice for one rake. I just don't know what to say. Don't trust anyone on the internet!

Financial Culture Expert:
The double cheat scheme is quite popular. Scammers offer compensation for damage to people who have already suffered from online criminals. But they do not return anything, but lure out the data of bank cards and again steal money from them. Fraudsters understand that if a person once believed in the tales of the scammers, he can do it again.
Most often, they act on behalf of non-existent organizations: "Financial Protection Center", "Single Return Center" and other fake offices. Pseudo-lawyers monitor complaints on the Internet or use contact databases that were maintained for other online scams. And then they send letters to the victims by e-mail, through social networks and instant messengers. In addition to this, they run online advertisements with fake TV news screenshots and interviews with people who have allegedly received a refund.
The reason for the "payment" can be anything from the return of losses due to participation in fake lotteries and surveys to tax deductions, social subsidies and compensation for medical expenses.
Links in scammers' messages lead to phishing sites. There people are convinced that they are entitled to large sums. You just need to pay for legal services. But when the user enters the card details, the criminals gain access to his account and steal all the money.

To prevent fraudsters from being fooled, follow the rules of cyber hygiene:
  • Do not tell anyone the full details of the bank card, especially secret codes, passwords from SMS and PIN codes.
  • Do not follow links from letters from unknown senders.
  • Do not rush to transfer money to unknown recipients on demand.
  • Do not publish your personal data in the public domain on social networks: mobile phone number, address, passport data. All of this information can be used against you. Fraudsters can apply for loans or credits on your passport, as well as bombard you by phone and mail with "tempting" offers.
What to do if the criminals still managed to get access to your accounts, read the text "What to do if money was stolen from a bank card."
To check if it is easy for scammers to cheat you, take our test "How not to be a fool".