Users Friend.Techs were attacked with spoofing of SIM cards

CarderPlanet

Professional
Reaction score
Some users of the Friend Web3 social network.Tech reported that they were victims of SIM swapping, during which they lost thousands of dollars worth of digital assets.

I was just SIM swapped and robbed of 22 ETH via @friendtech

The 34 of my own keys that I owned were sold, rugging anyone who held my key, all the other keys I owned were sold, and the rest of the ETH in my wallet was drained.

If your Twitter account is doxxed to your real… https://t.co/5wA86mjYEG
— daren (friend, friend) (@darengb) October 3, 2023

One of the victims, under the pseudonym darengb, complained about the theft of 22 ETH (~$36,500).

Because the users are Friend.If you need to link your X accounts with your phone number, the risk of spoofing SIM cards increases significantly.

"If your account uses your real name, your personal phone number can be found. This can happen to anyone, " darengb warned.

At some point, he started receiving a huge number of calls from unknown people, so he switched the phone to silent mode. Spam was used to hide a warning about logging in to your account from a third-party device.

Founder of SlowMist recommended it an effective way to protect against such hacks is to enable two-factor authentication.

September 30, Friend representatives.Tech was also warned about an error in the distribution of bonus points, which caused some accounts to be reset to zero. The community believes that these points will play an important role in future prospective airdrops.

The calculation for this week's points distribution contained a bug which resulted in some users having their accrued points set to zero. It was not our intention to remove points from any user.

We have fixed this bug and redistributed this week's points
— friend.tech (@friendtech) September 30, 2023

"Our intention was not to take away any user's points. We fixed the bug and will redistribute them this week, " the developers assured.

Previously, the analyst and developer of DefiLlama under the pseudonym 0xngmi has already warned about possible vulnerabilities of the project and its clones.

btw this should be obvious but all the friend-tech clones (including the original friend tech!) store your key in frontend

so it's possible to steal your key or all funds with a frontend update
— 0xngmi (@0xngmi) September 20, 2023

According to him, the app stores private keys from users ' wallets on the frontend. If the external interface of the protocol is hacked, the loss of funds is inevitable.

Growth in spite of

Despite technical problems, security issues, and the closed beta test stage, Friend.Tech continues to show strong performance.

According to DeFi Llama, the total blocked value in the protocol is $49.35 million. Over the past month, the project has raised more than $30 million.

On October 2, the daily trading volume of the app was 7,430 ETH (~$12.3 million), according to the Dune dashboard.

The total turnover of the platform reached 244,754 ETH (~$406 million).

At the same time, on Friend.Tech accounts for about 21% of all commissions in the Base L2 network, on the basis of which it is built. The second most popular application — the LayerZero cross-chain protocol-accounts for only 3.4% of transaction fees of the second-level solution.

By the beginning of October, activity in the protocol began to decline, but remained at stable averages. In recent days, the number of active addresses has fluctuated between 10,000 and 15,000.

Recall that by the end of September, users and influencers of Friend.Techs earned a total of more than $12 million on commissions.