The pyramid of logical levels by Robert Dilts

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
68194d6fc374db3f64305.png

Robert Dilts is a psychologist who developed the NLP direction. Learned from founders Richard Bandler, John Grinder. Milton Erickson and Gregory Bateson, sincerely inspired by the idea, he realized his belief in the possibilities of NLP in such areas as education, creativity, leadership, health. Robert's personal contribution was the development of a model of a pyramid of logical levels - a technology for changing thinking strategies and belief systems, which will be discussed in this article.

The Pyramid is based on the idea that people perceive and analyze the same information in different ways. And the way they do it directly affects their successes and failures. The model allows you to define for yourself situations that have a direct impact on life, to recognize mistakes and understand where to go next.

The Dilts pyramid is a practical technique, so it is better to take a piece of paper and, as you progress through the levels, write down thoughts, answers to questions that will come in the process of introspection.

Level one - environment
"What do I have?", "Who am I?", "Where am I?", "Where do I want to go?"
Dealing with this level of your life, you need to honestly look at what we have in the present (and most importantly - what we don't, but would like to have). This applies to the material sphere, relations, the reality around us.

Level two - behavior
"What am I doing?", "What to do next?"
The levels in the pyramid are connected, and the question "What am I doing?" can give an understanding of how the first level of the pyramid was formed. The reasons for what we have sometimes lie in the fact that we perform certain actions, and for other actions we do not have enough resources, discipline, and desire.

Level three - abilities
"How to do this and thanks to what?", "What can I do?", "What opportunities are there?"
At the previous level, it should become clear what actions I perform in order to have what I have. And it is important to clarify what CAN be done in order to find what at the moment I do not have, but I want to be. Passing the third level of the pyramid, it is necessary to answer the questions of how actions are performed and what helps. Introspection at this level should be aimed at finding ways that can lead you to your desired goal. Each person has a set of tools, which, step by step, led him to what he now has and to what he does not have now. Can you do something differently? How can you do it differently?

Level four - beliefs and values
"Why is it so important to me?", "What do I believe in?", "How does it affect?"
At this level, answers come to the questions “How did I understand that this is important to me?”, “Why do I need this?”. At this level, it is important to look at your beliefs from the outside, and try to evaluate them for stereotyped, blind copying of someone's attitudes, discover new meanings and visions of the situation.

Level five - identity
"Who am I?"
At this level, it is necessary to answer the question of understanding and seeing oneself.
Try to evaluate your real self. You should not slip into listing only the minuses or only the pluses. Describe yourself in many ways: from the professional side, from the personal side, and from the creative side. Write down the advantages and disadvantages, working on them, you become better.

Level six - mission
"Why am I doing this?" "For what?"
Decide on the meanings of your actions. Difficulty often arises here, since the meanings must certainly be something very global. However, this is not always the case. You are not wasting your time. Every person is important and necessary. Many meanings are greatly underestimated in our head, and some, on the contrary, are overestimated. This level is considered spiritual.