Pseudo-buyers on the Internet and phishing card data for "prepayment"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Bob:
A year ago, I posted an advertisement on the Internet for the sale of agricultural equipment. After a while, a buyer was found, asked about the goods, we quickly agreed on the price. The delivery was also settled - it was decided to send a transport company for the equipment. The buyer was from another region, so we agreed that he would transfer the money to my card.
I gave the card number for the transfer, in addition to which the buyer asked me for passport data, said what is needed for the cargo transportation company. I decided that this is quite possible, and sent him my data.
Fifteen minutes later, there was a call, the man introduced himself as a bank security officer. He said that a large amount should be received on my account, for which confirmation of the transaction is required, and asked for a confirmation code from the SMS that the bank sends when making a payment.
I checked the phone screen - the message really arrived, it contained information about some kind of registration and numbers. I dictated the data from the SMS to the "employee" of the bank service, and after a couple of minutes, messages about the withdrawal of funds - replenishment of some telephone accounts and mobile transfers to other people's cards - "poured down" on my phone.

Financial Culture Expert:
Bob is one of the many salespeople caught in this trap. The scammer's goal is to obtain data that will give access to the money on the merchant's card. In Bob's story, the attacker, already having the card number in his hands, obtained a one-time password from a message from the bank in order to re-register the card in the online banking system. The dictated password served as a code to restore access to your personal account. Having received such access, the fraudster can manage not only the account of the card, the number of which he knows, but also all other accounts of the client.
Sometimes a person himself transfers access to the Internet bank, through an ATM, - performs the necessary operations under dictation and reports the passwords from SMS coming from the bank. The swindlers immediately enter their personal account and transfer funds to their accounts.
The main sign that the buyer who has contacted you is a fraud, is the requirement of confidential information for making a payment: a pin code, a password from an SMS, a three-digit code (CVV2 or CVC2).
To transfer money to the card, it is enough to indicate the card number and the name of the holder. If the payment is made through another bank, you may need other details, but personal information does not apply to them. In addition, some banks allow you to transfer money by phone number - the system itself will find the customer data to which the number is linked.
You should also be wary if a potential buyer categorically refuses to buy using cash on delivery and is in a hurry to complete the deal - he is ready to pay right away without asking about the product and its properties, the reasons for the sale.