No more hacking: 22-year-old hacker promises to improve after three years in prison

Brother

Professional
Reaction score
Sebastien Raoul has committed many crimes and doesn't want to upset his family again…

On January 9, a 22-year-old French citizen was sentenced to three years in prison for participating in the ShinyHunters hacker group.

Sebastien Raoul, better known as Sezyo Kaizen, was extradited to the United States in January 2023 after being arrested in Morocco in 2022. He pleaded guilty to organizing fraud using electronic means, extortion of large sums of money and other crimes. In addition, he is now required to pay compensation in the amount of $ 5 million.

According to the indictment filed by prosecutors in the Western District of Washington, Raul, along with two accomplices, hacked into more than 60 companies around the world. Criminals placed the stolen data on such dark web sites as RaidForums, EmpireMarket and Exploit. In some cases, they demanded a ransom for deleting sensitive information.

In 2020 and 2021, ShinyHunters launched a series of hacking attacks on major organizations, including clothing retailer Bonobos, the Pixlr photo app, and Microsoft's GitHub account. The group also claimed to have data from 70 million AT&T accounts, although the company denied hacking at the time.

According to the US Department of Justice, Raul and his associates created fake websites that mimicked the login pages of real companies, and sent phishing emails to employees. After the victim entered their credentials, hackers gained full access to their accounts. "Hundreds of millions of customer records" were stolen, resulting in losses totaling about $ 6 million.

"This is an extremely serious crime. We are talking about millions of dollars," Federal Judge Robert S. Lasnik said during sentencing.

Raul's father told the resource DataBreaches.net that the sentence includes the time he has already served in Morocco and Seattle, and now the hacker has to spend another 11 months in prison.

During the court hearing, Raul stated: "I am aware of my mistakes and I want to put this period of my life behind me. No more hacking. I don't want to disappoint my family again."