lower case b starting track 1

Sucio

Reaction score
I am starting to get t1s where the initial b is lower case.
My MSR wont write it. Does it matter?

Remembering back to the early 00s late 90s we wouldn't even put a t1 ona card just t2.

Now it seems like t1 is being used verifed maybe at some stores even the name one the card matching.

Can I get some comments on rather on not writing the initial b in upper or lower case makes a difference as well as some commentary on what the authorization systems are doing with t1?

just a quick back story i was out of the game for a while and now i'm back... so I am trying to catch up on the changes.

Appreciate you guys.

Sucio

Axell1941

DEER
Reaction score
Не актуально

Last edited:

diego3119

BANNED
Reaction score
Please note, if you want to make a deal with this user, that it is blocked.
needs to be capital B. download pckit to generate your own track 1, some dump vendors have fucked up track 1s

BigBear

VIP member
Reaction score
Thats correct, all data contained in TR1 must be coded in capital letters, anyway most writer programs will do that automatically. You are right, in the 80s and 90s there was no need of TR1, but this changed at the beginning of the new century, first thing they did was implement a check to compare if pan of TR1 is same than pan of TR2, with this update all TR2 single track writers became useless. Since 2004 US banks started to record in their databases the checksum of TR1, so all modern pos systems read the lenght of TR1, calculates the checksum and send it together with TR2 data to the issuer, there it gets compared with the original checksum they have in the base. Many people think that they compare the original name but this is not possible because of the limitation of their authorization network, all transmissions are done in 5 bit sequences, 4 bits for a number and 1 checkbit. Alphabet letters have 8 bits, so its technically impossible to transmit a name over this network.
I hope this helped to get u a up to date.