"I will refund the overpayment for the delivery of the parcel - just enter all the card details"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
It was necessary to deliver a parcel from some city. Urgently, in one day, it was possible only through a well-known service for finding fellow travelers, there sometimes it is possible to agree on the delivery of the cargo. I am looking for a car and I find Bob. Bob is kind, writes without errors. 38 detailed praise in the app and a rating of 4.9 out of 5. And the photo on the avatar is so positive.
Bob asked to translate the advance, because the package is voluminous, it will take place for me, and I will take it and merge. This has happened more than once, I want guarantees. Transferred $ 20.
Here he writes: "You have translated a lot - $ 20, and my services cost $ 15. Let's return the change." I was surprised, because $ 20 was written in the profile, but she wants to return - let him return. I say, throw it back on the card.
He insists: “No, I work only through the payment system of the service (on which Anna found him. —Ed. Note), so it’s safer, I have an account there, all that, now I’ll send you a link, I’ll officially return all the money to you.” The link is more than convincing - with the service logo, name and other trustworthy details. You need to enter your card details in order to return the payment to it. Including the CVV-code on the back of the card.
I think, why would it be necessary to enter three numbers that even my husband does not know. Moreover, I do not pay, but I return the money. I say, Bob, so they say and so, I will not enter the code, I don’t need your change, just deliver the parcel.
And then a correspondence began, in which, very unobtrusively and, at first glance, competently, Bob said that he could not take more money and, in general, he was honest. I went in from this side, and from the other. Only five minutes later I realized that I was in a scam clean water. But at least it’s good that she didn’t enter the details. Otherwise, I would not have lost $ 20, but everything that I have on the card.

Financial Culture Expert:
Anna really ran into a scammer. Unfortunately, there is a very high probability of meeting scammers on popular services where people buy and sell things or order services.
Fraudsters come up with all sorts of legends to trick users of their personal and billing information. Their speeches can seem convincing and even noble - how can a bad person offer to "return the overpayment"? They do not ask for money, but, on the contrary, supposedly intend to transfer it. And only for this they ask for card data.
Often scammers offer to spend money “through the official payment system of the service” - and they themselves send links to phishing pages where you need to enter the full card details, including the secret CVV / CVC code. If Olga had succumbed to persuasion, then everything that was on it could be written off from her card account.
Moreover, she would hardly have succeeded in returning the stolen money. Banks do not compensate for losses when customers themselves disclose confidential information to outsiders.

If you decide to use services where participants agree with each other about purchases or services, remember that any of your interlocutors may turn out to be a scammer.
To save your money, follow the safety rules:
  • Communicate only in the service chat, do not go to other sites, social networks or external messengers. Service algorithms often track and block phishing or viral links. In third-party chats, this option is most often not available.
  • Whenever possible, make transactions within the service - usually this service is called "Safe Deal". In this case, payment does not go directly between users, but through the service gateway. And the organizer of the deal makes sure that all its participants fulfill their obligations.
  • If you still conduct a transaction without the intermediary of the service, do not give money for a product or service until you receive it. When you are offered a prepayment, refund or change, only mention the card or account number. Sometimes a phone number is enough if it is linked to a bank account. This data is enough to transfer money. Keep other information secret.
  • Do not follow links from other users and do not enter card details on questionable sites. For information on how to recognize fraudulent pages, see the text "Phishing: what it is and how to protect yourself from it".
For more information on what other schemes are used by scammers to steal data or savings from you, read the article "Social Engineering: Why People Give Money to Scammers".