“I want to buy your product! Let's discuss the details in the messenger"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Anna:
Sometimes I am asked if it is safe to trade through an classifieds site. So I'm telling you what the scammers are doing. So that no one gets caught!
In short, I was selling my computer through a well-known classifieds portal. I found a buyer and offered to discuss the details of the transaction not in the chat of the site itself, but in the messenger. Like it's more convenient. We discussed it. He writes: yes, everything suits me, now I will pay, you need to enter your card number for transfer. And throws a link where I have to indicate the number.
I open the link, there is a page with a description of the product and the usual form where to enter the card number, expiration date and secret code. I've already started looking for a map, but I myself think: stop! Why should I enter all the numbers from the card there, he buys it, not me?
I looked more closely at the address of the link that was thrown off to me, and it was somehow strange, like the name of an ad site, but with a doubled first letter. The page itself is very similar to the real one, but it still looks like something is not right.
In short, it dawned on time that they were trying to deceive me. This buyer just made a mirror of the site and wanted me to lease all the card data to him. He attacked the wrong one! Be careful!

Financial Culture Expert:
The essence of this scheme is that the fraudster takes the user out of the chat of a secure online platform for transactions - an ad service, delivery of goods, or another well-known site. The fraudster offers to go to one of the messengers, because there allegedly "it will be more convenient to discuss the details of the transaction." In fact, he is simply afraid that the security service of the service will track him and prevent him from turning the scam.
This scheme can be used not only by the buyer, but also by the seller. Fraudsters create fake ads, and as soon as a potential buyer appears, they offer to continue communication outside the service.
Then the scammer sends a phishing link in the messenger. It can be disguised as a purchase confirmation page for the service on which the ad was published, or as a site for product delivery. At first glance, it is quite difficult to distinguish a fake page from a real one: the design coincides with the design of a familiar service, the correct information about the product, the delivery address, contact information that the fraudster found out from the user in advance is indicated.
On the fake page, you are asked to enter the full details of the bank card in order to allegedly receive money for the goods, pay for the purchase or delivery. If a person enters the full card details, including the three-digit code on the back, the fraudster will be able to steal money from his account.
Sometimes the link contains a dangerous virus that steals data from the gadget.

In order not to fall for deception, follow the rules of financial security:
  • Don't follow links from emails and notifications from strangers.
  • Be wary if, when making a purchase on a popular site, you are prompted to switch to a third-party site. It is better to carry out all calculations within the service: many of them provide the "safe deal" service. In addition, the site's security system blocks malicious links.
  • Do not enter card details on suspicious pages. For more information on how to distinguish a fake site from a safe one, see the text "Phishing: what it is and how to protect yourself from it."
  • Install antivirus software on all gadgets you use.
  • Get a separate card for shopping on the Internet and do not store a lot of money on it. Put the amount you need for the purchase on this card immediately before paying. Then, in the event of fraud, you will only lose it, and not all your savings.
For more information on how not to fall for the tricks of deceivers, read the texts "Safe shopping on the Internet" and "Social engineering: why people give money to scammers themselves".
How to act if fraudsters still managed to empty your account, you can learn from the text "What to do if money was stolen from a bank card".