How visiting tourists are scammed

Tomcat

Professional
Reaction score
The author's invention. Don't repeat it. For informational purposes only.

This is how my former classmate (let’s call him “N”), who served a total of about 11 years, earns. Now I’m completely unemployed, they don’t hire me anywhere. But he lives very, very well, drives a decent Solaris, lives in his own two-room apartment, and feels great.

For a work shift, he earns from 3 to 25 thousand rubles and this is far from the limit (it all depends on luck).

To work according to the scheme, you need to have the appropriate social engineering skills, acting abilities, and the ability to get into character.

The essence of making money

Every day, transforming into various images (an elderly Russian language teacher, a bespectacled intellectual, a retired tourist, etc.), he goes out “on the route.”

The route mainly consists of key points where hundreds and tens of hundreds of different out-of-town tourists come every day.

There are enough such places in my city. These are various pseudo-holy places, places of worship, famous historical buildings.

There are enough buses with license plates from different regions every day.

“N” (already in character, adapting to the general psychotype of the crowd) slowly walks around the group of tourists, listening with interest to the words of the guide. Intelligent, goatee, glasses, clean clothes.

Suddenly his phone rings (actually an alarm clock). Taking out the phone, “N” begins a conversation like “Oh mommy, hello dear!!” and..... Awkward movement, the phone falls on the asphalt...

What a pity! A man called his old mother to report on his excursion and then such a disaster happened. The screen burst, everything went dark, the phone didn’t work (in fact, it didn’t work).

“N” looks around in confusion, almost a tear appears in his eye, his lips tremble.

He timidly approaches the crowd (And the crowd is already deeply empathic towards the “unfortunate” and is ready to help with anything) and asks someone for a phone number so he can send his mother an SMS.

I watched his work - at least 3-5 people give a phone number without even thinking about the consequences.

They offer to call your mother without hesitation, to which “N” replies that he is a tourist, and his mother is in another region and he will simply send an SMS.

He takes the phone, opens an SMS, smiling modestly and happily, “sends an SMS to mom,” then another one, gives the phone, tries to give another fifty dollars for help.

Glory to God, Help your neighbor, God bless you - the crowd answers.

The job is done, "N" moves to another point, or to another group.

In fact:

"N", as an experienced fraudster and just a person sitting (and they are all good psychologists) - chooses a victim based on certain signs.

Having received a phone to “send SMS to mom,” he immediately goes into SMS, looking for messages there from banks number.

People are usually carefree, and such SMS are not deleted. Or rather, few people remove them, and some leave them on purpose. Like there is a Soviet habit of keeping receipts.

"N" via SMS commands simply withdraws funds to pre-prepared cards. SMS messages about debiting are immediately deleted.

That's the whole simple but effective scheme, completely based on pure social engineering.