How to protect your gadgets from scammers

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Cybercriminals constantly hunt for someone else's personal data. They attack phones, tablets and computers with the help of malicious programs, lure classified information from bank clients by means of social engineering tricks. We will tell you how to protect your privacy and fight off cybercriminals.

What data do scammers need?
The key to the money on your account can be the card details, including the expiration date, three digits from the turnover, as well as passwords and codes from the bank's notifications. Or logins and passwords from your online bank and other applications and personal accounts to which payment information is linked.
“It all started when I decided to sell a refrigerator on the Internet. I placed an ad on a popular website, and literally five minutes later the buyer calls. He says he works for a company that buys old refrigerators. They repair and resell them, and those unsuitable for repair are used for parts. Like, they are very interested in the model of my refrigerator and they are ready to transfer the prepayment right now ... "
Be vigilant, do not step on someone else's rake!
Fraudsters use social engineering and phishing to lure confidential data, and they often send messages with links to malware or files containing viruses. With the help of them, cybercriminals hope to gain remote access to gadgets and steal secret data from them.
The bank does not compensate for anything if the person himself told the fraudsters confidential information or voluntarily installed spyware.

How to protect devices from cybercriminals?
Follow the basic rules of cyber hygiene.

Use antivirus software
Install anti-virus software on every gadget you use. Then scammers will not be able to take over data from your device, even if you click on a malicious link. The main thing is not to forget to update your security systems.

“Every month my ex-husband transfers alimony to my card. One evening we phoned and he said that he had transferred four thousand. I immediately received an SMS from the bank stating that the money was received. At night I received another notification from the bank that my card was blocked. To cancel the blocking, you had to follow the link from the message... "
For more information on how to recognize a dubious link and protect your money and data, read the text "Phishing: What It Is and How to Protect Yourself from It" .

Keep your system up to date
Attackers are always looking for vulnerabilities in software and applications, and manufacturers regularly release updates and strengthen antivirus protection. Therefore, it is important to always use the latest software version. In the settings of your gadget, find the automatic update function and enable it. Hacking an upgraded device is much more difficult.

Download only verified apps
Download apps from trusted sources. For example, for phones and tablets based on iOS - from the AppStore, for Android - from Google Play. Before downloading, read the comments of other users on the specialized forums in order to know in advance about the possible risks of using the program. And also make sure that it is actively updated by the developer - the date of the last changes is usually indicated in the official stores.
“I decided to earn extra money on maternity leave and began to search the Internet for a remote job. I posted my resume on a popular job site. Soon the girl called and said that she was looking for call center operators in her cosmetics store. She offered a good salary and only worked three hours a day. Just what I need. We began to discuss the details, she asked me to download several programs for work on her phone ... "

If you have downloaded an application, but do not use it at all, it is better to uninstall it. What if he has weak cyber defense? Reduce the risk of your device being compromised.

Don't install software at the request of strangers
Malicious apps are not the only threat. Sometimes scammers use legal remote access software to control the device on your behalf.

“I just faced a situation, a phone call, a person introduced himself as a bank employee and said that a third-party phone connected to my account and tried to transfer money, this attempt was blocked".

With the help of remote access programs, criminals can read SMS from a bank with secret codes and passwords, enter your online bank, transfer money, or arrange a loan on your behalf.

Explore your privacy settings
When installing applications, pay attention to the privacy settings. Is it really so necessary to share your contact list or geolocation with the program?
Allow access only if it's really necessary: for example, the location is needed for the taxi application, but hardly important for the calendar of tasks. If you are not satisfied with the access rights requirements, please choose another application.
When the user agreement is updated in the program, do not rush to immediately accept the terms - first, carefully study them.

Choose strong passwords
The password must be at least eight characters long: numbers, uppercase and lowercase letters, special characters. It is best not to use popular words and common abbreviations. No dates of birth, names or surnames. Passwords should be different for each account - don't repeat yourself. And re-enter the password manually each time - do not save it for automatic entry.
If possible, set up double identification: then, in addition to entering a password, the system will each time ask for confirmation of login using a code that instantly comes in an SMS, push notification or email address.

How can I secure my data in case my phone is lost?
These risks are worth considering in advance. Follow three steps:

1. Turn on the lock
Turn on automatic screen lock to protect your device. Use a passcode, fingerprint, or Face ID - the owner's face recognition feature.

2. Set up tracking
Install a program that allows you to remotely track your device's location. In case of theft or loss, you can see where your gadget is, connect to it and even remotely erase all information from it. For example, Android devices have a Google Find My Device search function, Samsung devices have a similar Samsung Find My Mobile option, and iOS devices have Find My iPhone. Be sure to activate them in advance in the gadget settings.

3. Create backups
Make regular "backups" - back up your data. This option allows you to save the configuration of your device settings, all applications and other information. This will help you recover data from a lost or stolen phone faster and transfer it to a new one.

What to do if your phone is stolen?
If you have lost your phone number that is linked to your bank account, proceed as if you had lost your card. Call the bank's hotline or run to its branch and ask to block all cards, mobile and online banking.
After that, just in case, call your number: perhaps someone found the phone and is ready to return it to you.
If the gadget is stolen, write a statement to the police about the theft. Take a certified copy of this statement - the bank may need it if the criminals manage to hack your phone and online bank and steal money from your accounts.

What if scammers hacked into a stolen phone and withdrew money from accounts?
In this case, you can count on compensation only under two conditions:
  1. You have not violated any safety rules. For example, they did not share confidential card data, logins and passwords from an online bank with fraudsters, your device at the time of theft was password protected, like all applications to which payment information is linked.
  2. You disputed the write-off on time - no later than the next day after you received a notification from the bank about the operation that you did not perform.
To recover the losses, write a statement to the bank as soon as possible that the transactions took place without your consent, ask for an internal investigation and return the money. Emphasize that you followed the cyber hygiene guidelines. And attach a copy of the phone theft statement you made to the police.
If a loan has been issued for you, then, in a separate application, ask the bank to declare the agreement invalid. Ask to postpone the commencement of loan payments until the investigation is complete. In cases where the bank does not agree to defer payments, it is better to make them so as not to spoil your credit history. When the contract is canceled, you will be able to demand that you have the money paid back to you.
If you have complied with all the security requirements, but the bank does not listen to your arguments, complain about it to the Internet reception of the Bank.
For more information on how to protect yourself from cybercriminals, read the text "How to protect yourself and your loved ones from financial fraud".
You will find stories about other schemes used by scammers to steal data and money, and advice on how to recognize fraud in time, in the "Fraud" section.