How to protect children from online scammers

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Basilio the cat and Alice the fox tried many tricks, trying to lure Buratino to the Land of Fools and steal his gold coins. But, as the tortoise Tortilla would say, it was "three hundred years ago." We will tell you what tricks scammers use today to deceive children and get to their pocket money or to the bank accounts of their parents.

Now scammers are hunting not just for "gold", but for the data of bank cards, from which you can steal all the money at once, if you're lucky. They are trying to get new "golden keys" - secret passwords and codes - which will open the cherished "door" for them from the bank cards of children and their parents.
Many schoolchildren use bank cards linked to their parents' account or registered for themselves (if they already have a passport).
Sometimes scammers try to get through children not only to money, but also to documents of adults. To get into the trust of the child, tried-and-tested schemes are used.

Create fake pages for online shopping
Hackers love online games as much as kids, but they have their own reasons. In the virtual world, vigilance is weakened, and players may not notice the deception and fall for the tricks of the scammers. For example, the offer “buy profitably” objects for playing on a fake site.
“The guys from the school and I are hooked on one online game, where you can communicate with each other and meet other players. The game itself is free, but to be on a par with the tops, you have to pay for the best gear and guns. The game has its own store where you can buy all this. Once a guy wrote to me in a game chat, we chatted, and he secretly threw me a link ... "
Be vigilant, do not step on someone else's rake!
Players are lured in by low prices and “unique promotions”. And make no mistake, not only children, but also adults can fall into such traps.
“My husband and I decided to give our son a smartphone for his birthday. He chose an expensive model, but it is not every day that turns 18 years old - you need to please him. We looked on the Internet where to buy such a phone, and came across a Moscow online store with delivery anywhere in Russia. Prices there are much lower than elsewhere ... "
Before entering personal data, passwords, codes or bank card details anywhere, make sure that this is not a fraudulent page. For more information on how to distinguish a safe site from a fake site, see the text "Phishing: what it is and how to protect yourself from it",

Offer get rich quick
If a teenager does not have enough pocket money for a fashionable phone and the patience to save up for it, scammers will gladly "help" him. They post a lot of ads on the Internet about quick and easy money. But often in such cases, only the fraudsters themselves manage to suddenly get rich.
Fraudsters can convince a teenager to invest in a "super-profitable project" (spoiler alert - in a pyramid scheme). It usually does not come to payments to depositors. Having collected money from as many people as possible, the organizers disappear.
Sometimes cheaters offer to “make money quickly” simply by registering on a dubious site. You just need to complete tasks or place bookmaker bets. To withdraw "earnings", they ask to pay a commission. As a result, the money, along with the card data, ends up in the hands of scammers.
“My classmate once ran into scammers. He begged his parents to buy him a new iPhone, but his mother said that it was too expensive, the maximum they would buy last year. And then, if a quarter finishes well. In short, he began to look for where to buy a new one, but cheaper, and found an interesting ad. Like, you can quickly make money on a new iPhone ... "
Promises of lightning-fast profits are always a worrying sign. If your teen wants to buy an expensive item, talk to him about how to achieve that goal. Sometimes the child himself can accumulate the necessary amount in full or at least part of it. A financial plan will help you achieve your goals faster; you can draw up it yourself or with your parents. If you have to save for a long time, then it is better to put money on a bank deposit at interest.

Entice with "winnings" in contests
Often, scammers send letters and messages promising unexpected winnings, or launch ads for “win-win lotteries” on behalf of popular bloggers. But then they ask to pay a small commission for the delivery of the "prize" or some other additional services. To do this, you need to follow the link and enter your bank card details. But in reality, the link leads to a phishing site, and instead of prizes, the gullible user gets losses.
“I took part in a contest on the social network Instagram about a month ago, where the prize was any item that I choose, posted on the page. I chose sneakers, wrote to the organizers, after which I was offered to pay for the delivery ... "
If the organizers of the competition ask you to pay for something, this is a reason to be wary. Before trying your luck in online sweepstakes, you need to make sure that the organizers are not scammers: read reviews on the Internet, news (suddenly they have already been seen in scandals). It is worth checking on the blogger's official page whether he really advertises this contest, or whether he has also become a victim of scammers.

Asking for help on behalf of friends on social networks
Cybercriminals hack social media accounts, and then send messages on behalf of others to the list of friends. They start a conversation with the banal "how are you?" and almost immediately go to complaints about life and ask for a loan. Or with the words "catch pictures from your birthday!" instead of a link to photos, a malicious virus is sent. It steals personal data from the gadget, logins and passwords from personal accounts, including banking. There can be more complex frauds.
“An old friend wrote to me on Facebook. She said she had lost my number and asked to be reminded. I recalled. And then she asked to help her out: she was buying something, and the seller had to send her a confirmation code ... "
Before doing everything that the "friend" asks for, it is better to call him back and clarify whether you really need help. Most likely, he is not aware of the correspondence. But the sooner he finds out about what happened, the sooner he will warn the others that his account has been hacked.
Antiviruses that can be installed on all gadgets will help protect against malicious links. Parental control programs can also be set up for the safety of young children.

Make friends on thematic forums
Fraudsters often hide behind the guise of interesting interlocutors on forums and in groups on social networks. They make a virtual friendship with a teenager on the basis of common interests and rub into trust for the sake of future benefits. When contact is established, they come up with various excuses to get the information they need. For example, scammers ask a child to send photos of bank cards or parents' passports. This data may be enough to steal money from an account or apply for a loan in someone else's name.
“Recently I got a call from the bank. The employee said that there are suspicious debits on the card and they blocked the card. I said that I had not paid for anything, I would study the text messages and call them back. I got into the messages and was horrified: it turned out that the last half hour I received some messages with codes, and then the money was withdrawn ... "
To keep your child safe, you need to discuss the rules of sound financial behavior with him as soon as possible. If he cannot live without gadgets, then special mobile applications will also help him to understand the topic of finance , and for those who like to read there are suitable collections of books about money and the economy.

Connect SMS or push notifications to all bank cards, so you will immediately notice suspicious purchases.
It is not necessary to transfer large amounts to the child's card. In addition, you can limit the amount of withdrawals or the number of transactions on the card per day, so that fraudsters do not manage to steal all the money from it at once. For more information on how to secure money on accounts, read the text "Bank cards for children" and "How to protect against theft of money from a card".
The character quotes are taken from the film "The Adventures of Buratino" (Belarusfilm studio, 1975).