How meditation changes our mind, brain and body

Lord777

Professional
Reaction score
What is meditation
Meditation is a collective term for many types of contemplative practices aimed at deep study of the mind in order to completely change the inner self. Likewise, sports reflect a wide range of sports trends. In both sports and meditation, the end results depend on what you actually do.

"Whatever the features of the meditative traditions are, they all share a common goal: altered human traits."
A practical tip for those who are going to meditate, or for those who are currently trying different practices: it is worth keeping in mind that, as with mastering a skill in sports, there are huge benefits to choosing the right meditation practice and using it ... Pick one practice and determine the amount of time you can actually devote to it every day - even if it is a few minutes. Try the practice for a month and see how you feel after that time.

Regular exercise improves your fitness. Likewise, any type of meditation will strengthen your psychological form to some extent. Special benefits of one type or another have an increasing impact as the cumulative hours of practice increase.

An undisturbed mind
“Everything that you do, be it something great or small, is only 1/8 of the problem,” a Christian monk who lived in the 6th century instructed ascetics, “whereas -for this, the task will not be completed, - the remaining 7/8 ".
A calm mind is an important goal of meditation in all great spiritual traditions. Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk, wrote his own version of an ancient Taoist poem in which he praised this quality. He talks about a draftsman who could draw perfect circles without using a compass and whose mind was "free and unconcerned."

The opponent of a calm mind is all those anxieties that occur in life: financial difficulties, too heavy workload, family or health problems. In nature, stressful episodes such as encounters with a predator are fleeting and give the body time to recover. In modern life, stressors are more associated with psychology than biology and can be constant (even in thoughts), for example, a terrible boss or family problems. Similar stressors induce the same ancient biological responses. If these stressful reactions continue for a long time, they can harm you.

Science knows that the more of these difficulties we experience in life, the higher the level of stress hormones like cortisol. It sounds creepy: if cortisol levels are constantly on the rise, it has negative effects on the body, such as increasing the risk of dying from heart disease. Can meditation help in this situation?

Research
In an Emory University study, people who had never meditated were randomly assigned to mindfulness training and compassion meditation programs.

Participants were scanned before and after the eight-week training session. As they scanned, they were shown a set of images - common in emotional research - that included disturbing photographs of, for example, fire victims. The lucid attention group showed a decrease in amygdala activity in response to disturbing images. The changes in the activity of the amygdala occurred during the standard state of the participants in this study, which suggests the possible first shoots of the effect of changing the traits.

The pain is in your head
When you pinch yourself firmly on the back of your hand, different brain systems are activated. Some systems are responsible for the pure sensation of pain, while others are responsible for our aversion to pain. The brain combines them into an intuitive, instant "Ouch!"

But this union is destroyed when we practice mindfulness of the body, studying physical sensations for hours in detail. We maintain concentration and our awareness is transformed.

What was a painful pinch changes, breaking down into its component parts: the intensity of the pinch and the painful sensation, the tone of the emotional feeling - we do not want pain, we want it to disappear immediately. But if we persist in our careful exploration, the pinch becomes an experience worth unpacking with interest, even calmness. We can see that our disgust disappears and the "pain" breaks down into subtle shades: pulsation, heat, intensity.

Among the main components of pain are our physiological sensations, such as burning sensations, and our psychological reactions to these sensations. The theory is that meditation can drown out our emotional responses to pain and thus make the heat sensations more bearable.

Meditation as psychotherapy
Although meditation was not created for the purpose of treating psychological problems, in the modern world it looks like a promising method in the treatment of certain diseases, especially depressive and anxiety disorders.

In a meta-analysis of 47 studies on the use of meditation techniques for treating patients with mental health problems, the results showed that meditation reduced depression (especially severe), anxiety and pain in much the same way as medication, but without side effects. Meditation also reduces the severity of psychological stress - less so than medication. Loving-kindness meditation can be beneficial for trauma patients.

Long term
Meditation over the years offers more benefits when people reach the range of practice, 1,000 to 10,000 hours. This could mean daily meditation sessions and possibly annual weekly training retreats - all over the years. The initial effects will grow, while new ones will emerge.

For example, in this range, we see the emergence of neural and hormonal indicators of reduced stress response. It also strengthens functional connectivity in the brain in an area important for regulating emotions, and decreases levels of cortisol, the main hormone released by the adrenal glands in response to stress.

Practicing loving-kindness and compassion over an extended period strengthens the neural resonance with the other person's suffering, as well as caring and the likelihood that you will actually help that person. Thanks to long-term practice, attention increases in many aspects: selective attention increases, the effect of blinking attention decreases, it becomes easier to hold it, and alertness to act increases. Experienced practitioners have shown an increased ability to suppress wandering and self-directed thoughts of the passive mode, as well as reduced connectivity in areas of this network, indicating less self-concern. These improvements often appear in meditative states and tend to become traits.

CarderPlanet

Professional
Reaction score
At the heart of each of you is an energy channel that connects with the Primary Source of being. Thanks to this, it becomes possible to broadcast information from the Source. This is true magic. In the modern world, such people are called mediums.

Divine knowledge gives you love, wisdom, sincerity and a feeling of happiness in the moment. The life from the mind, inherent in most people, makes it difficult to realize how this reality is actually built.

A limited mind perceives life on a primitive level: sleep, go to work, eat, take the children to the garden and to the circles, pick up from school, buy clothes, a phone or even a house - and so on all my life. Psychomagic allows you to go beyond narrow perception and start living from the soul.

The choice in favor of a happy, conscious life is happening right now. You can directly from your consciousness experience any experience, state and emotion, because virtually any pleasure arises in your soul.

Focusing your attention on the fact that you are a spiritual being who has incarnated in this body and has a mind as an instrument frees you from destructiveness, because you understand that at the state level everything that is in this world is available to you.

You don't have to look for any opportunity to fly to the Maldives, Bahamas, or the end of the world in order to have a great life. This is good, but just a consequence. Endless travel in an attempt to escape from oneself or from bad weather is not a perception on a magical psychomagic level.

True Psychomagic begins with the fact that through a state you begin to attract the appropriate decorations in your life.

The moment you get upset that someone from the environment did something wrong and your expectations were not met, you simply are not where you need your attention. You focus on external causes. And this is a key mistake, leading to the loss of the ability to control your life at the level of the magician's internal frequency.

You are able to become an absolutely happy independent spiritual being who will serve the world, develop and enjoy only through the perception of life from the soul as the fundamental principle of your being.

Your soul already possesses an abundance of all states. If you want to experience something pleasant, then that's great. But you shouldn't depend on travel, food, or people. After all, everything that surrounds you is a consequence of the perception of the world by your consciousness.

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
So, for those who are especially interested, I can reveal the diagram of my own meditation system. This is, so to speak, a more advanced version of meditation (compared to the version described yesterday). I have been practicing this particular option - every day, for almost 20 years now ...

MEDITATION (for advanced)

1. I sit in the "lotus" position. The spine is straight! Hands fall on your knees, clasp your kneecaps with your palms, but lie freely ...
2. The eyes are closed. Breathing - slow, lower abdomen. The flow of thoughts in the head - stops ...
3. Initially - attention is focused on breathing. Then, when breathing is normalized, attention is transferred to the area of space above the crown of the head (Sahasrara) ...
4. A powerful bright glow is visualized and felt overhead. A large ball-sized ball of dazzling white light. All attention is focused on him ...
5. From infinity Above the ball - the same dazzling white light ray descends and pierces the ball and my body from top to bottom, going down to infinity ...
6. From infinity on the left side of me - the same dazzling white light beam arises and pierces my body at the level of the shoulders-heart-chest from left to right and goes into infinity from the right side ...
7. From infinity in front of me the same dazzling white light beam arises and pierces me from the front, at chest level, exactly into the crosshair that was formed by the two previous rays, and goes into infinity behind me ...
8. Thus, I find myself in the center of a three-dimensional cross, formed by three endless bright white light beams, in the area above my head a bright fiery white ball of Sahasrara shines ... There is no room space around me! It is as if I am suspended in a black vacuum ... There is only this infinite black space, rays and Sahasrara ... The body becomes ghostly and transparent, as if woven from fibers of light ...
9. I transfer my attention to the region of the sacrum (Muladhara). The breath stops. A luminous ribbon creeps out of the Muladhara area and starts wrapping me from the bottom up, clockwise, like gauze a mummy. Inspiration is in progress. On inhalation, this luminous ribbon wraps around my entire body, turning me into a kind of "cocoon", and pours into the Sahasrara ...
10. Then comes the EXHAUST, in which the luminous energy pours out from the Sahasrara, like a fountain, enveloping my entire body from top to bottom. All the streams of this fountain below flow into Muladhara. The exhalation is over. A luminous ball envelops me, as it were ...
11. Again I turn to step 9. And this is how 5-7 cycles are done (if you wish, you can do more). As I inhale, the energy from Muladhara wraps a ribbon around me clockwise, like a mummy. As you exhale, energy gushes from the Sahasrara ...
12. Upon completion of 5-7 cycles: I am in a black vacuum, pierced by three luminous rays, Sahasrara shines over my head, INSTEAD OF AN NORMAL BODY - A GLOWING BUBBLE !!! The body is gone! I am a glowing energy bubble! No space around! No body sensation! No emotions! No thoughts! There is only the perception of this luminous bubble and light rays! .. Breathing has almost stopped, it is barely noticeable, in the lower abdomen ...
13. This state can last from 1-2 minutes to an hour or more! .. How much "trample" ... I usually have about 20-30 minutes ...
14. When thoughts begin to arise again, I take several slow deep breaths (5-7), during which the light structure seems to dissolve and in its place the usual physical body and the room in which I started meditation slowly emerge again ...
15. For a couple more minutes I sit in the same position with my eyes closed, but I visualize my body and the room around me ...

Then I open my eyes and get up ...

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
While meditating, you not only change physically, getting rid of a variety of diseases and ailments, you also transform spiritually!
As the same Ernest Tsvetkov correctly remarked, "... your I, which until then was a garbage pit, will be cleansed, become cold-blooded, calm and contemplative. And the more contemplative you are, the better and more efficiently you act ...".

The next step is to work with the chakras. But I'll tell you about this next time ... ?