"Give my money back, but you can keep some of it for yourself"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Bob:
An unknown man calls and says that he sent me $ 500 by mistake. He asks to send them to him by the card number, which they say will now dictate. I figured it was a divorce and hung up. I check the mobile bank, and the money really came.
Then that man calls again and starts yelling into the phone that I have embezzled his money and he will sue me if I don’t return it. I say no, go to the bank, let them figure it out, but I have nothing to do with it.
To which he says to me: do it like this - keep $ 30 for yourself, transfer the rest to my card.
I do not know what to do. What if it's not his money at all? Where did he get my phone number? Can he really sue me if he doesn't return anything?

Financial Culture Expert:
If a certain amount unexpectedly fell into your account, and you do not understand who sent this money and why, do not rush to rejoice at the sudden enrichment. This may be a mistaken translation, but there is a high probability that it was the work of scammers.
When someone calls you from an unknown number and demands to send the received money to the card, do not enter into negotiations. Contact your bank and ask to send the transfer back using the same details from which it came to you. Leaving money with you or sending it somewhere on your own is dangerous, and here's why.
Fraudsters could have involved Bob in their scheme of money laundering. For example, they obtained his bank card and phone numbers in advance using a phishing site. And then they threw off the stolen money to confuse the trail. After that, the criminal called Oleg and demanded to transfer the "erroneous transfer" to another account.
If Bob fulfills the requirement, he will become an unwitting accomplice in the crime. And leaving himself $ 30, he will also be in a share with the scammers. Then it will be difficult to prove your innocence.
Perhaps Bob is not the only one whom scammers are trying to deceive. For example, criminals could sell a non-existent product to someone via the Internet and asked to transfer money for purchases to Bob's card. Now the scammers hope to convince him to transfer other people's money to them. After that, they will disappear, and Bob will have to deal with the buyer.
If you immediately ask the bank to make a reverse transfer, then Oleg will avoid trouble: the money will be returned to the buyer, and the fraudsters will be left with nothing.