"Flight canceled due to coronavirus? We will refund your money"

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Bob:
Received a call from a number that starts with 800. The girl introduced herself as an employee of a well-known airline. She said that I would be refunded for the flight to Montenegro, which was canceled due to the coronavirus epidemic. And I just found out that my flight was canceled and wanted to take up the issue of refund. She gave me the flight number, my booking number and ticket prices. I say: yes, that's right. I was very glad that all the money would be returned and that they called themselves.
The girl asked where to transfer the money, I said what was on the card. Then she asked first for the card number, I dictated to her, and then another expiration date and three numbers on the back. Here I already tensed that they were asking me for data that should not be communicated to anyone. But the girl insisted that a three-digit code was needed for the translation. I said she was a fraud and hung up. Now I will call the airline myself and find out when the money for the tickets will be refunded. I just didn't understand where the scammers got such detailed data on my flights?

Financial Culture Expert:
Fraudsters always use the hype around various natural disasters, epidemics and global shocks to earn extra money. In stressful situations, people have reduced vigilance, and attackers take advantage of this.
George managed to recognize the deception in time. If he told the "airline girl" the full details of his bank card, including secret codes, then instead of refunding the money for the flight, he would lose the balance on his account.
To be convincing, fraudsters can name the full name, passport details, and in this case, even the flight number and ticket prices. Scammers get this information themselves from open sources (for example, from social networks) or buy from hackers who sell databases on the black market.
Cyber fraudsters could hack Bob's e-mail, which he received letters with information about the flight, or pick up access to his personal account on the airline's website and take data from there.
For a refund for canceled flights, you must contact the airline directly. You can write a message through the feedback form on the official website of the carrier or call the hotline number - it is also listed on the website.
Be careful: cybercriminals come up with a variety of schemes related to the coronavirus. For example, they call to collect money for the development of a vaccine, offer to buy medicines and medical masks at a low price, pretend to be online stores and food delivery services.
Also, recently, social networks have offered to take a test, which supposedly will help you understand whether you have a coronavirus. The result of such surveys is always the same: "You are in a special risk zone!" Then you are advised to order antiviral drugs with delivery - and all in order to find out your personal data and bank card details.

Don't be fooled by cybercriminals and follow the rules of financial security:
  1. Do not tell anyone the full details of the bank card, especially secret codes, passwords from SMS and PIN codes.
  2. Do not use the same passwords to log into your accounts on different sites. Create as complex passwords as possible from combinations of letters, numbers and symbols.
  3. Do not follow links from letters from unknown senders.
  4. Avoid posting confidential information about your flights on social media, such as a boarding pass that shows your booking code. The fraudster will only need this code and your last name to access the management of your booking on the airline's website.
In any situation, try to remain calm and be critical of messages from strangers.
Whether it is easy for fraudsters to deceive you, you can check using the test "How not to be a fool".