Five Ways To Lose Money Selling Things Online

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Zhanna often adds spontaneously purchased and unusable shoes and bags, clothes of previous seasons, old phones, household appliances and furniture through various online sites with private ads. Many times, under the guise of buyers, scammers began to communicate with her and tried to deceive her. Sometimes they succeeded, and instead of proceeds, Jeanne received losses. We will tell you what mistakes she made and how not to repeat them.

Many sites and applications through which you can sell and buy things and services help users to protect themselves from intruders. They block malicious links in correspondence, offer secure payment systems, and allow their number to be encrypted when an ad is published so that it does not end up in the hands of fraudsters.
People are constantly reminded of the rules of financial security. But not everyone follows them - and this leads to losses.

Mistake # 1: disclosing your personal information
Zhanna did not want to spend a lot of time communicating with potential buyers, so she immediately wrote in the ad the number of her card to which the payment for the purchase should be transferred. She also decided not to hide her mobile phone - after all, it is easier to agree on everything over the phone.
She got a really quick call. But not a potential buyer, but a “bank security officer”. He said that a suspicious transaction was being carried out on her card and that in order to cancel it, it was necessary to “go through verification”.
The security officer named the card number himself, Zhanna had to say the rest of the details - the expiration date, the owner's name and three numbers on the back. After the frightened Zhanna dictated all the information, all the money was debited from her card.
What Happened: Social engineers who play on people's feelings to get to their account often only need a phone number to start a conversation. And Zhanna turned out to be so open that they did not even have to find out her card number.
It is easy to identify both the bank that issued the card and the payment system using it. When fraudsters themselves disclose this "confidential information" to a person, he often gets the impression that a real bank employee is calling. And having already aroused trust, the scammers lure out the rest, really secret data, which open up access to the account of the gullible interlocutor.
“I just ran into a situation, a phone call, a person introduced himself as a bank employee and said that a third-party phone connected to my account and tried to transfer money ...”
Be vigilant, do not step on someone else's rake!
Unscrupulous marketers who collect phone numbers from open sources and then overwhelm you with advertising offers can also use personal data.
How to proceed: When composing an ad on the Internet, limit yourself to the description of the product. Do not indicate card details and personal data: exact address, passport number and other confidential information. Never post photos of your bank card and documents.
It is also best to hide your mobile phone number if your ad portal or app allows you to do so. Buyers will be able to call the number provided by the online platform, or contact the ad service chat.

Mistake # 2: discussing details in third-party messengers
Once, a customer from another city liked Jeanne's handbag. She offered to discuss how best to transfer the parcel in a popular messenger.
They agreed on everything, and the lover of handbags threw off Jeanne a link to "reliable and inexpensive delivery service." Everything looked convincing: the customer transfers the agreed amount to the courier service, who takes the parcel from Jeanne and immediately sends the money to her card. But when Zhanna filled out a questionnaire on the website of the "courier service", where she indicated, among other things, all the details of her card, money was stolen from her.
“I was selling a computer through a well-known classifieds portal. A buyer was found and offered to discuss the details of the transaction not in the chat of the site itself, but in the messenger. Like it's more convenient. We discussed it. He writes: yes, everything suits me , now I will pay, you need to enter your card number for transfer ... "
What happened: Scammers create special phishing pages that help them find out the user's card details. They disguise these pages as sites of delivery services, payment pages of ad services, money transfer systems.
If you enter the full details of your card on these fake pages, including the secret code on its back, the scammers will actually receive the key to your account.
Ad service chats usually block phishing links. That is why scammers are trying to take you away from a secure site to a third-party site.
How to do it: Don't skip the "safe deal" service often offered by major ad services. In this case, the buyer pays for the goods with a bank card, the money is reserved on the account of the online platform and goes to the seller's card as soon as the buyer receives the parcel.
Well-known Russian and international courier companies also allow you to pay using this scheme.
If it is not possible to pay the buyer in person, you can send the parcel by cash on delivery. The recipient will pay for it at the post office, pick up the goods, and the post office will transfer the money to you.

Mistake # 3: informing the buyer of confidential information about the bank card
Zhanna decided to buy a home theater and sell her TV. Almost immediately she got a call from the TV studio and said that they were ready to buy it out - they just need just such a model. And they even offered to immediately transfer the advance payment to her.
This time, Jeanne was not asked for any secret codes. It was only necessary to say the card number and its expiration date. But when she reported them, a large amount was again debited from her card.
“It all started when I decided to sell a refrigerator on the Internet. I placed an ad on a popular website, and literally five minutes later the buyer calls. He says he works for a company that buys old refrigerators. They repair and resell them, and those unsuitable for repair are used for parts. Like, they are very interested in the model of my refrigerator and they are ready to transfer the prepayment right now ...
What happened: in some online stores, you do not need to enter the three-digit code on the back of the card and confirmation codes from the bank in order to purchase. Fraudsters take advantage of this. They pay the bill with someone else's card, knowing only its number, expiration date and the name of the owner.
How to proceed: a card or account number is enough to transfer money. No other information can be provided.

Mistake # 4: giving the product before the buyer paid for it
Zhanna bought expensive shoes, but could not walk in them - the heel is too high. The return period to the store had already expired, so she decided to sell them. A customer from an ad site came to her home, she liked the shoes, and she immediately transferred money to Zhanna via her phone.
Zhanna saw with her own eyes how the girl in the application of her bank transferred the required amount to her card. But for some reason, the notification of the receipt of money did not come to Jeanne.
“It happens that the translation arrives with a slight delay,” the customer assured her. - Sometimes in a few minutes. But you yourself saw - I sent everything. Now excuse me, I have to run. " The girl with the shoes disappeared, but Zhanna never received her money.
“I was presented with a new phone, but I didn't need it, I immediately decided to sell it via the Internet. I made an ad on a popular website. Almost immediately the guy called and said that he wanted to buy a phone. He asked to meet as soon as possible, because he buys as a gift. We agreed at the metro, arrived with a friend in a black Mercedes ... "
What Happened: Sometimes scammers use demo versions of banking applications. There you can simulate a transfer - the screen simply shows how the money transfer will look in the application, but in fact, the amounts from account to account are not transferred.
In some cases, scammers create duplicate sites that look like real online banks.
How to do it: thesame as in a store. First, the buyer must pay for the product and only then pick it up. Transfer from card to card takes just a minute. Be sure to wait for the bank to send you a message about the transfer of money.
When you are given cash, make sure the money is real. Or ask to withdraw the amount at the ATM with you.
Again, the "safe deal" service of an ad service or a trusted courier service can help out.

Mistake # 5: following links from strangers
Jeanne was selling an old sofa. This time, she decided to carry out all the calculations through the ad service application. She received an SMS message that the buyer had already transferred the deposit for her sofa, and the message contained the correct amount and a link.
Zhanna followed the link and saw the page of her ad with a note about payment. And below there was a button to update the application so that the translation would be correct. Zhanna pressed this button, the application opened for her, but she needed to re-enter the contact information and card details. And then (well, you get the idea) - her bank account was reset.
“I was selling my old tablet through an app of a famous classifieds site. An SMS has come that someone has bought a tablet and has already transferred money. There was written the amount of $ 200 and a link. I click on the link, the page of the site opened, on which I posted information about the sale ... "
What Happened: The scammers created a fake page that mimicked the design of the original app. On this page, they inserted a screenshot of Zhanna's ad, added a note about the payment and added a button with a link.
When Zhanna clicked on the link and downloaded the "updated app" of the ad service, she actually downloaded a virus to her phone. Malicious programs not only steal card data, but also steal passwords and codes from the online bank. This is how scammers gain access to all bank accounts and withdraw money from them.
How to do it: You need to install anti-virus programs on all your gadgets and update them regularly. You should never follow links from letters and messages of unfamiliar users.
When you visit the website of an online service, store, bank or other organization you know, check the address bar very carefully. Fake sites can be very similar to real ones, and their addresses can differ by only one or two characters. For information on how to recognize a duplicate site, see the article "Phishing: what it is and how to protect yourself from it".
How to act in the event that criminals still managed to gain access to your accounts, you can learn from the text " What to do if money was stolen from a bank card".
Sometimes not only buyers, but also sellers turn out to be swindlers. To avoid falling for their tricks, read the article "Safe online shopping".