Elon Musk offers Wikipedia a billion dollars for a Name change

Carding 4 Carders

Professional
Reaction score
Musk is ready to give a billion dollars to Wikipedia... but not everything is so simple.

Elon Musk made an unexpected offer to the online encyclopedia Wikipedia. He promises to donate a billion dollars if they agree to rename their site "Dickipedia". Musk wrote on his account: "I will give them a billion dollars if they change their name to Dickipedia. Please add this to the [cow and bunch emoji] on my wiki page in the interest of accuracy."

saatl0wimtktdg67zac3wlrimcgk4uv0.png

Journalist Ed Krassenstein expressed support for this idea, suggesting that Wikipedia accept the offer and then return the former name. Responding to this, Musk clarified: "At least for a year. I'm not stupid."

Musk's proposal was prompted by his earlier expressed dissatisfaction with the Wikimedia Foundation's financial requests. He criticized the foundation for its large financial needs, saying that " the entire text of Wikipedia can fit on your phone! So what's the money for? People want to know...". The answer came quickly: Wikipedia indicated that it processes more than 25 billion page views per month and more than 44 million page edits, which requires significant operational costs.

This isn't the first time Musk and Wikipedia have clashed over their differences. In May, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales criticized Musk for his decision to restrict certain content on the X platform ahead of the Turkish presidential election.

In 2018, Elon expressed his intention to create a website called Pravda, where the public could evaluate the" basic truth "of any article and track the "credibility rating" of journalists and their publications.