Earning money online and working from home - fraudulent vacancies

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Bob:
A couple of years ago, I was saving up for repairs in the apartment, so I took on any work on the side. On the Internet, I came across an ad: simple work at home, materials and tools are provided, you can get up to $ 50 a day. I immediately called.
The man said that he was in charge of personnel and invited him to a meeting. He said that there are a lot of people who want to get a job and there may not be enough work, so we must hurry. And I also asked to take money with me - a deposit for the materials, which will be returned to me immediately with the first fee.
So I rushed "to work". There was a basement at the indicated address, and in it was the employer's office, with a bunch of boxes containing work materials and tools. The boxes contained bags of plastic white and black balls mixed in. The work consisted of sorting the balls into two color groups. When asked why this was being done, the office replied that the white balls would be used for stamping syringes.
For one bag of sorted material, a payment of $ 5 was supposed, but at first a deposit had to be paid for "valuable raw materials" - $ 3 per bag. The pledge was promised to be returned on the day the work was received from me. One of the employers advised me to pick up a large batch of bags at once - they say, there are a lot of applicants, everyone wants to get as much as possible, so you shouldn't expect to take the rest later.
I collected 30 bags, paying $ 90 for them, and for the next few days, in the evenings, I painstakingly went through the balls. When the monotonous work was over, I happily went to hand over the work, hoping to collect my deposit and $ 100. When I arrived, the door to the meeting room was sealed by the police.
It turned out that the police had been trying for several months to catch fraudulent employers touring the cities, who profited from the unemployed, leaving them plastic industrial waste as a deposit. Alas, neither I nor the rest of the victims were able to return the money.

Financial Culture Expert:
The overwhelming majority of advertisements for simple and profitable work at home are fraudulent. They offer the most comfortable working conditions with minimal effort, which attracts the attention of inexperienced job seekers.
The most popular among fraudulent vacancies are various mass types of work: assembling ballpoint pens, making candles, typing, wrapping gifts, filling envelopes, or, as in Vladimir's case, sorting homogeneous material. Such schemes have existed for about 10-12 years, but victims are still found - as a rule, they are newcomers to home work, retirees or teenagers.
In fact, the collection of ballpoint pens and similar processes have long been automated - it is cheaper and more convenient to produce pens on special conveyors in workshops than to look for some remotely working employees, send them materials and accept finished products.

If you are looking for remote work, consider the following:
  • Prepayment. If, to start work, you are required to contribute any amount (even a $!), You should refuse such a vacancy and terminate all relations with the company - most likely, you are dealing with scammers.
  • Vacancy description. Of course, there is legal remote employment, but there are much fewer such vacancies, and they impose certain requirements on the candidate - you may need data on education, qualifications, portfolio, work experience. Fraudsters, on the other hand, try to reach as many people as possible, so the fake vacancies do not indicate the position and direct responsibilities, the required experience, age, skills.
  • Salary. An unjustifiably high income for low-skilled labor should be alarming, as well as a generous social package for a novice worker.
  • Contact details. If a real employer always indicates a legal address, a landline phone, mail with a corporate domain and other details, then scammers leave a minimum of data on their websites and in ads - usually only a mobile phone or email. A false employer may respond inappropriately to a request for more detailed information about the whereabouts, accusing the applicant of excessive distrust.
  • Ready to meet. Usually an employer, even if he is looking for a person to work from home, is ready for a personal meeting with a future employee on his territory. Conversely, fraudsters, under various pretexts, avoid face-to-face interviews with job seekers.
  • Reviews. A simple and effective way to identify a scam employer is to read what they write about him on the Internet. On special review sites and forums, as a rule, you can find information about scammers from those who have already "burned themselves" and want to warn others. If there is no information at all about the employer, this also speaks of his unreliability.