"Buy your movie tickets on this site. They give a discount there".

Father

Professional
Reaction score
Bob:
I met a girl on a dating site. We chatted with her in the chat room. I think we ought to invite her somewhere. And then suddenly she herself says: let's go to the cinema, there are so many interesting films going on now. And like she even knows a site where you can buy tickets at a discount. She threw me a link. Well, I was just glad, I went there to get tickets. I entered all the necessary card data. It was not the cost of tickets that was immediately debited from the account, but in general everything that was! Every second I received SMS about some payments. While I was thinking what to do, the card was reset. And the girl abruptly stopped answering.

Financial Culture Expert:
Bob got to a phishing site. Fraudsters deliberately create such to extract from people bank card details, passwords or other confidential information.
Attackers usually disguise their pages as websites of online stores, banks, government agencies, ticket services, or other legal organizations.
If you enter your card number and the secret authentication code (three digits from the card's back) on such a page, fraudsters will gain access to it and be able to steal money.

To prevent this from happening, follow the rules for safe online shopping:
  • Do not follow links from letters and messages of strangers or unfamiliar people. You risk not only getting to a phishing site, but also downloading a virus that will steal payment information from your device or gain access to your online bank.
  • Choose well-known online stores and services. If the site is unknown to you, look at the reviews about it on the Internet.
  • Only shop on sites that provide a secure connection. Their address starts with https: //, and the address bar has a closed padlock icon.
  • On the payment page, look for the logos of the MasterCard SecureCode, Verified by Visa and Mir Accept programs. These programs additionally protect you while shopping on the Internet. If the online store has connected them to its website, after entering the card details, you will receive an SMS from the bank with a one-time password, which will need to confirm the purchase.
  • Get a separate card for online payment. Put on it exactly as much money as you plan to spend right now. Set a limit on the number and amount of transactions per day.
If the fraudsters still manage to write off the money, call the bank and ask to block the card. Write a statement that you disagree with the operation because it was not you who did it. True, if the bank proves that you violated the rules for using the card (for example, you yourself told the fraudsters its details), the money will not be returned.
It is also worth contacting the police.