10 things that can lead us into hypnosis

Teacher

Professional
Reaction score
22fb208afcdfcee3983b8.png

1. Life itself

Oddly enough, but we are in a hypnotic state for a fairly long time of our life. The trance state is a change in the functional state of the central nervous system for receiving and processing any kind of information.

According to the doctor of medical sciences, Professor Eduard Kastrubin, we are even more often in a hypnotic state than in wakefulness. Our brain is immersed in a state of trance, which is characterized by the activity of alpha waves (frequency 8-14 hertz) and theta waves (4-7 hertz) several times per hour.

Such brain activity is necessary for building, checking and strengthening associative connections, for reviewing internal systems.

Organism and their repair.

In moderate doses, such conditions are even beneficial, but people with a marked overabundance of alpha and theta brain activity may have increased anxiety, attention dysfunction, seasonal affective disorders, chronic fatigue and depression.

2. Meeting with gypsies

Gypsy hypnosis is a typical example of neurolinguistic programming. There is nothing mysterious, let alone frightening in it.

The main thing that any hypnotist achieves is to obtain the so-called rapport - a controlling contact. The technique of gypsy hypnosis is based on mind control through attention, so the first thing a hypnotist does is try to switch your external attention to your internal one.

Psychologist Sergei Zelinsky in his work on Gypsy hypnosis emphasizes: "Gypsies are well aware of the phenomenology of deep trances, so if they notice a sign of a phenomenon, they immediately contribute to its development, thereby immersing the client in an even deeper state of trance. "

Anyhow, to whom the gypsies will not approach. They have a well-developed intuition and easily distinguish people with a high level from the crowd.

hypnotizability - that is, a predisposition to suggestion. Traditionally, hypnosis takes place in crowded places. This is again part of the ritual - the attention of a person in the crowd is scattered. Traditionally, these are markets and shops, that is, places where a person comes knowingly with money, as well as in a state of psychological imbalance (shopaholism is one of the signs of hypnotizability).

The art of gypsy hypnosis is passed down from generation to generation. He is taught both verbally and empirically. Every gypsy hypnotist is an excellent psychologist who, through long practice, has developed tactile, visual, auditory, even olfactory perception. Any movements of a person, even micro movements, such as blinking or the work of facial muscles, say something. And the gypsies know what they are about.

3. Contemplation of fire

There are dozens of ways to go into trance and activate alpha and beta waves. However, most of them take years of practice to master. One of the oldest and most effective practices for changing brain activity is fire relaxation.

American scientists have conducted research on how watching fire affects humans.

The focus group of 226 people was divided into several parts. Someone watched the real fire, someone watched the fire on video with sound, another group watched the video without sound.

The results surprised the scientists themselves: in all subjects, observing the fire caused an increase in the level of prosociality and absorption (susceptibility to hypnosis), and a decrease in blood pressure.

In addition to the conclusions about the benefits of relaxation to fire, the researchers also suggested that the reaction to fire became an evolutionary adaptation, and sitting around the fire was one of the factors of the success of Neolithic evolution.

4. Watching TV

Yes, it is: when we sit in front of the TV for a long time, our brain is in a state of trance. This is well understood by those who are engaged in the production of TV content and advertising.

It is not for nothing that they say that television "zombies" the viewer, and the television itself is called a "zombie box".

For the viewer, almost all the signs of a person in a trance state are characteristic. Firstly, the narrowing of the focus of attention, secondly, the transmission of some of the external information, thirdly, relaxation, fourthly, unwillingness to move, fifthly, distortion of the perception of time.

Finally, a person in front of the TV has a stopped gaze, and his consciousness is filled with inner images and illusions.

5. Surfing the net

It's no secret that seemingly harmless Internet surfing can easily "kill" several hours of time at once with zero output efficiency. Modern psychologists are concerned about this problem a lot. Web surfing can lead not only to procrastination (putting things off for later), but also to more serious systemic disorders of the human psyche.

Psychiatrist Sergei Vygonsky believes that society has not yet fully realized how much the Internet influences its development.

In an interview, he said: “Internet users are characterized by a distorted perception of their own physical body. In addition, it turned out that these people have a lot of emotional problems - instability, depression and a feeling of loneliness, which is experienced very acutely. The situation is aggravated by the fact that while sitting at the computer, a person is literally in a state of light trance, and sometimes the brain completely goes into "sleep mode". In this state, a person is very hypnotizable, so he often does what he would not do in a conscious state.

6. Running

Those who run long distances know firsthand about such a state as runner's high - a state of special ascent, similar to mild intoxication, observed in athletes in cyclic sports during prolonged physical activity, as a result of which stability increases to pain and fatigue.

Those who have experienced this state feel happier, calmer, ready to solve life's difficulties and think more clearly. After running a long distance, the pain threshold usually rises and there is a feeling of elevation.

Usually this condition is explained by increased release of endorphins,

however, there are more specific explanations for this phenomenon.

A 2001 study at the University of Nottingham in Britain linked the runner's euphoria to the release of enylethylamine, the body's natural analogue of amphetamine, and a 2004 study at the Georgia Institute of Technology found that another natural chemical, the endocannabinoid, could cause the runner's effect. anandamide, similar to the main active ingredient in marijuana.

7. Listening to music

Music as a means of entering a state of trance is used in various systems, from shamanic rituals to sessions of holotropic breathing by Stanislav Grof.

Research into the effects of music on the brain is plentiful. Let us mention about one of them. The Bulgarian doctor Lozanov discovered that it is the rhythm of music that greatly influences the activity of the brain and its work.

The scientist concluded that a musical tempo equal to 60 beats per minute increases the alpha activity of the brain by 6%, which, as we already know, is associated with the trance state of the brain. At the same time, the same musical tempo decreases the beta activity of the brain, associated primarily with activity and wakefulness. Thus, with music with a tempo equal to 60 beats per minute, a person develops a meditative, relaxed state of consciousness.

8. Meditation

Meditation causes changes in the activity of the human brain, adjusting its biorhythms. For meditative states, as well as for the trance state, alpha waves (frequency 8-14 hertz) and theta waves (4-7 hertz) are characteristic.

If in the normal state the biorhythms of the brain are a chaotic picture of waves, then meditation makes them move evenly. The graphs show that uniformity of frequencies and amplitudes reigns in all parts of the cranium.

In 2005, at Massachusetts Hospital in Boston, scientists used MRI to track all changes in the meditator's brain. They selected 15 people with meditation experience and 15 people who had never practiced meditation. After analyzing a huge amount of information, scientists came to the conclusion that meditation increases the thickness of those parts of the cerebral cortex that are responsible for attention, working memory and sensory processing of information. “You train your brain during meditation, which is why it grows,” said study leader Sarah Lazar.

Researchers from Yale University also note that meditation can act as an effective preventive measure for a number of neuropsychiatric disorders.

Scientists using MRI monitored the brain activity of several volunteers. Their conclusion is this: meditation inhibits the work of the neural network of the brain, which is responsible for self-awareness and introspection,

which protects the psyche from excessive immersion in the jungle of their own "I". It is this “withdrawal” that is characteristic of such mental disorders as autism and schizophrenia.

9. Slumber State

The fact that in a state of slumber, in a borderline state, when the brain goes from a waking state to a state of sleep, people have noticed brilliant ideas for a long time. So, Salvador Dali often fell asleep with a heavy key in his hand. When the artist fell asleep, the key fell out on the plate standing below and woke Dali. The Spanish surrealist claimed that in this way brilliant ideas came to him.

Even before Dali, the inventor Thomas Edison used a similar method. He usually sat in a comfortable chair with his arms dangling at his sides and holding a large bearing in each.

Edison began to doze, but as soon as he really fell asleep, his hands weakened, releasing the contents, and the thunder of bearings falling on the wooden floor woke him up. As he drifted into and out of sleep in this way, he found that it was in such a half-asleep state that he was able to come up with and remember any great ideas.

The intermediate state between when the whole brain is still awake and when the whole brain is already asleep is incredibly effective as a catalyst for creative ideas.

From the latest scientific works on this topic, one can recall the book of the neurologist Jack Lewis "The Brain: A Brief Guide".

10. Falling in love

Another state close to trance is the state of being in love. It affects almost all hormonal activity in the body. Even Freud wrote that the formation of falling in love is based on the mechanisms of hypnosis.

According to Freud, humble submission is characteristic of both the object of love and the hypnotist. No one but the object of love and the hypnotist is taken into account. The Austrian psychologist saw the difference only in the fact that a hypnotic connection is an unlimited love of self-giving, excluding sexual satisfaction, while in falling in love, sexual satisfaction is only temporarily pushed into the background.

Brother

Professional
Reaction score

Hypnosis: How Our Brains Work. Habits and Willpower.​

Consider a common example: a person wants to quit a bad habit, such as quitting smoking. He decides on a conscious level not to touch the cigarette and for some time he manages not to smoke and stop himself from buying cigarettes. But then the most interesting thing begins: a person using his willpower begins to act completely differently from what he planned at the beginning. He begins to communicate more with people who smoke, finds mental excuses for himself in order to smoke, and lights up again. The willpower that the person used gives another failure, and the person receives another confirmation that it is impossible to quit smoking by willpower, willpower does not work.
A person feels how something inside him guides his actions and will and makes him buy cigarettes again and again. He acts out of habit, which again defeats his willpower.

To describe this and many other processes associated with habits, emotions and the interaction of the conscious, subconscious and unconscious, American hypnologist Gerald Kein proposed a simplified model of the brain.

Consciousness level​

On a conscious level, a person makes conscious decisions, such as in our example, to extinguish his last cigarette and not to smoke, to refuse an offer to take a smoke break with colleagues or friends, to walk past a tobacco kiosk, remembering his intention to stop poisoning his body. The conscious level is characterized by such concepts as willpower, logic, analytical thinking, critical factor (analysis of incoming data and their processing, "guardian of consciousness"). If you compare this level with a computer system, it is similar to the desktop and windows of the operating system. A person himself makes decisions about which windows to open, how to organize his desktop, how to place program shortcuts on it. The conscious level is characterized by short-term memory, which is why willpower may not work.

Subconscious level​

In the example above, the habit of smoking is precisely at a subconscious level that our long-suffering willpower cannot reach. The habit and skill are similar to a computer program running in the background. In conscious mode, a person is an unambiguous being. However, when, for example, driving a car becomes a skill, then over time it becomes possible to quite successfully speak on the phone while driving, and when the subconscious is driving the car, then consciousness is talking. At the subconscious level are our emotions, skills, habits and long-term memory. Compared to the same computer, these are background programs, the human file system.

Unconscious level​

In computer slang, this is a person's "hardware", his electrical circuits, power cables and electricity. Unconsciously, in automatic mode, breathing, blood pressure, eye motility and the like are regulated when a person is sleeping or, for example, in a coma. This level can be accessed through the subconscious or hypnosis: there is an example when a criminal sentenced to death in hypnosis while blindfolded was told that his veins had been cut open, and he began to bleed profusely. In fact, he was held with the back of the blade over his hand, which was then poured with warm water. After a while, the man died. (VM Bekhterev "Hypnosis. Suggestion. Telepathy"). There are a lot of such examples.
Thus, in our example, you can use this model to get rid of a person's smoking habit. To do this, it is enough to “remove” the “smoking” program from the subconscious level, which is undoubtedly simpler and more effective than methods of quitting smoking with the help of willpower. It is simple and effective, because in hypnosis the therapist communicates directly with the client's subconscious, bypassing the “critical factor” that is on guard.

Tomcat

Professional
Reaction score

Ericksonian Hypnosis​

62b466494da32b5bdd883.png

Many people do not know that besides classical hypnosis, when a hypnotherapist authoritatively tells you what to do and feel, today there are other, more modern and effective methods of hypnosis. Ericksonian hypnosis is named after its creator, Milton Erickson (1901-1980), who received worldwide recognition as a psychotherapist-practitioner. His approach to altered states of consciousness formed the basis of both Ericksonian hypnosis and neurolinguistic programming (NLP). Both of these methods are related to suggestive psychotherapy, which gives a quick strategic result.

"Most of our life is determined by the unconscious." Milton Erickson.

Milton Erickson, MD, founder and first president of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis, and associate professor at Wayne University. He was the head of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association and the American Psychopathological Association, and was a member of the American Psychiatric Association. His name is associated with the founding of the Training and Research Foundation of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis.
At seventeen, Erickson suffered polio. The disease was extremely difficult, and doctors feared that he would not survive. On the night the illness reached its tipping point, Milton experienced what he called an "autohypnotic experience."

Erickson: While I was in bed that night, I heard three doctors tell my parents in another room that their boy might be dead by morning. I felt intense anger that someone was telling a mother that her son might be dead the next morning. My mother then came to me with the most serene face she could possibly get. I asked her to rearrange the chest of drawers, put it to the side of the bed and turn it at a certain angle. She didn't really understand why I needed this, she decided that I was delusional. It was difficult for me to speak. But at that angle, with the help of the mirror on the dresser, I could see through the doorway the west window in another room. I would be damned if I died without seeing another sunset. If I could draw even a little, I could even sketch that sunset.

Rossi: Your anger and anticipation of another dawn was the way you kept yourself alive on that critical day, despite the doctors' predictions. But why do you call it an autohypnotic experience?
Erickson: I saw the endless sunset colored the whole sky. But I know there was still a tree outside the window, but I crossed it out.
Rossi: Did you strike it out? Is this the same selective perception that allows you to say that you were in a state of altered consciousness?
Erickson: Yes, I did it unconsciously. I saw the entire sunset in its entirety, but I did not see the hedge and the large boulder that was there. I crossed out everything except the sunset. After I saw the sunset, I passed out for three days. When I finally woke up, I asked my father why they removed the hedge, tree and boulder. I didn't realize that I had taken them out of there myself when I focused all my attention so intensely at the sunset. Then, when I began to recover and realized the loss of some of my opportunities, I began to wonder how I would earn a living. By that time I had already published my work in one national agricultural journal. "Why Young People Leave Farms". I no longer had the strength to be a farmer, but maybe I could become a doctor.

Due to the transferred polio, Erickson was paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair. As a result, he developed his own method that helped him cope with the consequences of this serious illness and remain socially active for the rest of his life. Erickson received patients and was engaged in teaching until a ripe old age, he had a big friendly family. It was this personal overcoming of the disease that helped Milton Erickson create a new direction of psychotherapy based on the use of hypnotic trance in combination with a special language of hypnosis, in which the suggestion is made softly, without violence, bypassing the patient's consciousness. This hypnotic language is figurative, vivid, multilevel (words are used in such a way that they can have different meanings on a conscious and unconscious level). Besides, Ericksonian hypnosis is distinguished by carefulness and respect for the patient's desires - he is always given the opportunity to choose, he can either accept the suggestion or leave it unattended. The fact that the work takes place in a trance state greatly enhances the effectiveness of psychotherapy. In a trance state, it becomes possible to directly work with the unconscious layers of the patient's psyche, bypassing the control of consciousness, inhibiting or even blocking the process of change.

The Nature of Therapeutic Trance in Ericksonian Hypnosis
Erickson's approach to hypnosis was fundamentally anti-theoretical, individual and pragmatic. Milton Erickson in his work primarily used knowledge gained in practice, and not theoretical reflections. He never even formulated a unified theory of hypnosis, nevertheless, Erickson left behind many books in which he expressed his views on hypnotic trance.
  • Trance as an inner guided state. Hypnotic trance in Ericksonian hypnosis is a state when the attention of the hypnotized is turned from the outside world inward, and the voice of the hypnologist directs this inner attention. At the same time, the focuses of attention, so numerous in our everyday life, are limited to a relatively small number. It turns out that the patient is not distracted by irrelevant external stimuli, the limitations of his usual frames of reference are removed, and, thanks to this, learning new things in trance occurs more intensively.
  • Trance as a highly motivated state. Ericksonian hypnosis uses the patient's personal psychodynamics and motivation to induce and develop the trance experience, avoiding standardized approaches that usually neglect the patient's individuality. It is the patient's motivation that prompts him to direct the focus of attention inward, and experts in Ericksonian hypnosis always take into account the patient's individuality when guiding and utilizing a trance.
  • Trance as active unconscious learning. Erickson believed that patients' problems were related to acquired limitations. The purpose of trance in Ericksonian hypnosis is to mitigate these acquired limitations of the patient's conventional frames of reference to enable him to become aware of the variety of choices from the vast array of unconscious possibilities. After the liberation of consciousness from ordinary attitudes, prejudices and blocks, learning can occur on an autonomous or unconscious level. Thus, the Ericksonian hypnotherapist first removes the limitations acquired by the patient and then helps the patient to use the accumulated life experience, knowledge and skills in order to create and rebuild himself from the inside, at an unconscious level, avoiding the limitations of consciousness. It turns out that in Verikson hypnosis,
  • Trance as an altered state of consciousness. Hypnotic trance in Ericksonian hypnosis is considered as an altered state of consciousness, which is neither wakefulness nor sleep. In this case, it is only necessary to create this altered state only once, and in order to re-induce it, it becomes enough only "symbolic" associations (some color, sound, memory of the state when the trance arose for the first time). Anyone who has ever experienced a deep therapeutic trance can attest to how different this state is from the waking state. At the moment when the trance subject returns to the waking state, he may find it difficult to answer such simple questions as: what day is it, or how much time has passed while he was in a trance. He can experience in a trance state sensations, as if the size and shape of the body or some of its parts change, arms or legs may become invisible or cease to be felt. In order to experience a deep and truly satisfying trance experience, it is important to learn to subjugate and reject waking behaviors, that is, to abandon some of the acquired limitations and usual frames of reference that are characteristic of conscious attitudes.
  • Subjective trance experience. Each person experiences trance in their own way, depending on their personality and life history. A general characteristic of the experience of trance in Ericksonian hypnosis is that everything seems to happen by itself. So, for example, the hand of the trance subject can begin to rise by itself (this is called "hand levitation"). Very often, such processes cause surprise and awareness of the contrast between what happens by itself and what we think we control and direct. Our inner life is a dialogue between what happens to us and what we do about it. Feelings, sensations, emotions, moods, fantasies and associations always arise spontaneously at the subconscious level and present themselves at the threshold of consciousness. How we learn to respond to these spontaneous manifestations greatly determines our sense of reality, mental health, and well-being. For example, we can respond to something new that happens in our sensations or dreams,

The unconscious in Ericksonian hypnosis
In Ericksonian hypnosis use the concepts of "consciousness" and "unconscious". What do these concepts mean? Imagine that your mind consists of two parts - conscious and unconscious. The conscious mind is the part that analyzes, criticizes, thinks logically and rationally, directs and focuses attention, is responsible for speech, abstract thinking and conscious effort. Consciousness is a characteristic of the functioning of the left hemisphere of the brain (for right-handers, for left-handers - the opposite is true). In a trance, the left hemisphere begins to work less actively, and all the therapist's efforts are aimed at moving consciousness away from the rigid framework and limitations of consciousness.

The right hemisphere of our brain is responsible for creativity, intuition, pantomime, kinesthetic (bodily) sensations, musical and visual-spatial perception, spontaneity, comfort, psychic abilities; this is the area of unconscious processes. The unconscious or subconscious is the part that governs bodily functions, from heartbeat to breathing. All your memories, desires and fantasies are stored in the subconscious, all the experience accumulated over life, from infancy onwards, all knowledge and skills. Wisdom, creativity dwells here. This is where the ability to solve problems lives. But it is also the area where the sources of all our problems, fears and illnesses are contained. Now you probably understand why immersion in a trance and communication with the subconscious directly.

Unlike other methods of psychotherapy, the essence of the approach of Ericksonian hypnosis lies precisely in the appeal to the creative subconscious of a person and to unconscious learning in a state of trance. "Most of our life is determined by the unconscious" - this phrase belongs to Milton Erickson. The same idea was expressed earlier by the founder of psychoanalysis Sigmund Freud, who believed that human behavior is mainly governed by unconscious drives and desires (according to Freud, mainly sexual), which are contained in the subconscious. The fundamental difference between Erickson's approach to the unconscious is that he was one of the first psychotherapists who began to view the subconscious not as a source of problems, but as a huge reservoir of potential resources and opportunities - health, well-being, achievements, successes, victories, joyful and happy moments that you once experienced. Unfortunately, this powerful reservoir of resources is not available to most people in everyday life, however, it can be accessed through hypnosis and activated all these resources for the benefit of the person.

To all that has been said, we can add that today scientists with the help of modern devices for studying the activity of the brain have established that in a trance state the work of the left and right hemispheres of the brain is balanced, and as a result of this, our brain enters the mode of operation in alpha rhythms, which is already in itself has a healing effect on the entire body and psyche of a person. In addition, when working with negative experiences in a hypnotic trance state, you have the opportunity to relive these situations in a safe environment and, using the tips and help of the therapist, find new ways to deal with difficult situations.

As a result, a new experience of positive experiences is recorded in the subconscious, for which it does not matter whether the solution to the problem occurred in real life or in a hypnotic trance. This leads to a restructuring of the psyche, and problems, illnesses and difficulties remain in the past. Hypnosis, therefore, is the help that the therapist provides in order for the patient to enter a state of trance, turning the focus of his attention inward, and triggering unconscious internal mechanisms to find a solution to his problem.

Unconscious learning and circumvention of the limitations of consciousness in Ericksonian hypnosis
According to Erickson, hypnosis facilitates learning and makes openness and willingness to accept change more likely. This is not about an instilled drowsy state. In Ericksonian hypnosis, the therapist does not "immerse" his patients, they do not lose self-control, and they are not guided by the will of another person. In fact, the trance state experienced with hypnosis is a natural state that everyone has experienced many times, and so are you. The most familiar state of this kind occurs when we fall into dreams; other forms of trance may occur during meditation, prayer, or a repetitive physical exercise sometimes referred to as "moving meditation."
In such cases, the person realizes that internal states and sensations are perceived more vividly than external stimuli, such as sounds and movements, which are given less importance. Under the influence of hypnosis, the patient often begins to intuitively understand the meaning and meaning of dreams, symbols and other forms of expression of the subconscious. The suggestions of a hypnotherapist in a state of hypnotic trance are perceived less critically, but nevertheless, if these suggestions run counter to the patient's values, then either their assimilation will be partial, or they will be completely rejected.

If the hypnotherapist's suggestions are accepted, stable changes occur in the patient's behavior and system of relations. The stability of the changes can be explained by the fact that under the influence of hypnosis, the patient's abilities for unconscious learning awaken, and he begins to use them. That is, in a trance, you come into contact with your own unused knowledge accumulated throughout your life. It turns out that by remembering these forgotten skills, you can incorporate them into the structure of your behavior, which will become more constructive and strengthen your personality. Impact of Ericksonian hypnosis stable and leads to intrapsychic changes that reproduce and maintain themselves and lead to further changes. Such stability of changes when using Ericksonian hypnosis is due to the fact that the work is aimed at internal growth, self-disclosure and self-acceptance by a person.

Differences between classical hypnosis and Ericksonian hypnosis:
It is important to understand that when we compare classical and Ericksonian hypnosis, we are not talking about two different hypnosis, but about two approaches to hypnosis, which are very different from each other. In classical hypnosis, an authoritarian approach is used, the hypnotist exploits such means of influence as a "magnetic gaze" and an imperious voice, while the hypnotist himself thinks that he has a special magnetism and power over other people.
In Ericksonian hypnosis, a permissive approach is used - the trance subject (the person who is hypnotized) feels and understands that practically everything is "allowed" to him. At the same time, a hypnologist working in Ericksonian hypnosis considers himself to be a guide, a guide who helps the trance subject to navigate in the process of hypnosis, and the partner, equal relationship between the hypnologist and the patient is especially emphasized. If in traditional hypnosis the hypnotist seeks to create a relationship of submission, then in Ericksonian hypnosis, on the contrary, there is a release.

In traditional hypnosis, the main emphasis is on implanting certain thoughts, ideas, feelings and sensations into a person's head with the help of direct directive suggestions. In Ericksonian hypnosis, suggestions are also used, however, the main work is aimed at releasing and starting to actively use what a person already has inside - his positive experience, accumulated knowledge and skills, skills, memories. The Ericksonian hypnotherapist's primary concern is to help you make the most of your own capabilities and resources to achieve your goals.

Suggestions in Ericksonian Hypnosis
Scientists estimate that most people use no more than 10% of their mental potential. Our consciousness is too narrow, rigid and limited in its ideas about what we are capable of. Our education and upbringing system taught us certain skills and armed us with some knowledge, but at the same time constrained us with rigid frameworks of prejudices against our abilities and subjective ideas about what we can and what not. Many times in the past you have probably had such moments when you could be so immersed in something that interests you that you simply did not notice anything around. At such moments, you are able to “not hear” what is being said right next to you, “not see” anything other than what you are doing, “not feel”, for example, that your posture is uncomfortable, and your leg is numb and numb. All this you do easily and automatically, when you do not think about it. However, if you are asked to “not hear” or “not see” anything right now, your reaction is likely to be confusion: you may think you don't know how to do it. Our consciousness does not know how it is "not to hear" and "not to feel" on direct instructions, although in appropriate circumstances we do it easily and without thinking.

In Ericksonian hypnosis, special forms of suggestions are used - indirect suggestions. This form of hypnotic suggestion is aimed at ensuring that a person can perform certain actions that he finds it difficult to do consciously, although automatically and unconsciously they are quite accessible to the same person in certain life situations. With the help of such indirect forms of suggestion, characteristic of Ericksonian hypnosis, the patient becomes able to control and direct such reactions that are usually regulated by the subconscious.

Erickson has developed and inherited many unique forms of indirect hypnotic suggestion, which allow you to momentarily change the limitations of consciousness that bind the patient and open up to the inner potential. A well-trained expert in Ericksonian hypnosis is, first of all, a good observer, skillfully recognizing what is hindering the development of each individual patient. The Ericksonian hypnotherapist seeks to provide the means to liberate and revitalize human development, the use of which is already the patient's responsibility.

Using Learning Stories in Ericksonian Hypnosis
Milton Erickson himself has often skillfully interweaved teaching stories in his work with trance states - stories from his own life and the lives of his relatives and other stories told in the form of parables, which are brilliant examples of the art of persuasion. It is these teaching stories that are the "trademark" of Ericksonian hypnosis , they give the therapy a special charm and, of course, increase its effectiveness. These trance stories are also called therapeutic metaphors, and they can influence the unconscious and provide an impetus for lasting positive changes in a person's behavior. Moreover, the impact of Ericksonian hypnosis leads precisely to such changes that reproduce and support themselves and lead to further changes.

Through teaching stories, a hypnologist provides new information, evokes new feelings, and encourages new experiences. Communication takes place at different levels, including the unconscious. New, life-affirming views can be transmitted to the patient both in the waking state and in the hypnotic state. And then you may find that you don't have to rely entirely on standard thinking and remain trapped in your own limiting attitudes.

Patients often identify themselves with the characters of therapeutic metaphors, thereby absorbing the qualities, knowledge and skills that they need to successfully solve their problems, and this new experience then passes into real life. This can be illustrated by solving sexual problems such as premature ejaculation. If the patient, being in a hypnotic trance, was able to experience the same sensations that arise when enjoying a successful intercourse, then this means that the psychotherapist was able to add to his memories a sense of success and the expectation of further success.

As an example of Milton Erickson's teaching stories, I will cite a story from his book "My voice will stay with you ...", which is called "How to get from room to room."
I asked the student: "How do I get from this room to another?"He replied: "First you need to get up. Then take a step ...".I stopped him and said: "Name all the ways you can go from one room to another."He said: "You can run, you can step, you can jump on one leg or two; you can do somersaults. You can leave the building, go around it from the outside and enter the room through another door. If you want, you can climb through the window ... ".I said: “You promised to think big, but you yourself made a mistake, a serious mistake. taxi to the airport, bought a ticket to Chicago, from there I would fly to New York, London, Rome, Athens, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Honolulu, Chicago, Dallas, then back to Phoenix, drive up to the house in a limousine, enter through backyard, through the back door, through the back door into this room. And you only thought of going forward! And you didn't think of going in the opposite direction, did you? And besides, you forgot that you can get to the room by crawling. "The student added: "Or, accelerating, ride on your stomach."How much we limit ourselves in our thinking!