10 phrases a smart carder will never say

Tomcat

Professional
Reaction score
Salute, and, worst of all, the word is not a sparrow, there will be no way back after they have been pronounced.

Often these are just subtle remarks that make us incompetent and insecure, and cause the most damage.

Regardless of how talented you are and what your main merits are, there are certain phrases that forever change the opinion of other people about you, and at the same time create a negative halo around you forever. These phrases are so charged with negativity that they can ruin your career in no time.

How many of these phrases have you already heard in your office?

1. "It's not fair"
Everyone knows that life is not fair. By saying something is dishonest, you are showing that you believe life should be honest, which in turn shows you are immature and naive.

If you don't want to portray yourself in a bad light, you always need to stick to the facts, stay constructive, and keep your own interpretation of events aside. For example, you might say, “I noticed that you were assigning Ann to a big project that I was really counting on. Could you tell me what influenced your decision? I would like to know why you decided that I am not the best choice for this place, so that I can somehow improve my skills. "

2. "We've always done this"
Technological changes happen so quickly that even a process that was debugged six months ago may not be relevant today. Saying something “has always been done this way” not only makes you sound like a lazy person and a fighter for change, but it can raise questions from your boss about why you are not trying to improve work processes on your own. If you've really always done things the same way, there is always a way to make them even better.

3. "I think ... / This might be a bad idea ... / Ask a stupid question ...".
These overly passive phrases constantly diminish your reliability in the eyes of other people. Even if these phrases accompany some great idea, others will think that you lack confidence, which means that people will not be able to be confident in yourself.

Don't be your own worst critic. If you yourself are not confident in your words, then no one else will be confident in them either. And, even if you really do not know something, say: "I do not have the necessary information right now, but I will definitely clarify this issue and let you know about it."

4. "It only takes a minute."
By saying this, you are playing down your own skills and giving the impression that you are breaking through work tasks. Unless it really takes you 60 seconds to complete a task, feel free to say it won't take long, but voice it in such a way that people don't think the task might be completed sooner than you need to. reality.

5. "I'll try"
Just like the word “think,” “try” makes you sound cautious, as if you lack confidence in your own ability to cope with the task. Take full responsibility for your capabilities. If you are asked to do something, agree to do it or suggest an alternative, but never say that you will try, as it will sound like you will not try hard.

6. "He is lazy / incompetent / stupid"
You will definitely not get any benefit from a dismissive remark towards a colleague. If your remark is accurate, then everyone will already know about it, so there is no point in pointing out the obvious things once again. If your remark is not very accurate, then you risk becoming a fool yourself.

In any workplace, there will always be rude and incompetent people, and the likelihood is high that other colleagues will have the same opinion of them. If you don't have the ability to help them become better or fire them, then you will not achieve anything by speaking out loud about their shortcomings. Vocalizing your colleague's incompetence from the outside looks like an attempt to appear better to yourself against his background. Your rudeness will inevitably lead other colleagues to think negatively about you.

7. "This is not on my list of responsibilities."
This often sarcastic phrase makes you sound like you are only going to do the minimum required to get your wages, which will negatively impact the safety of your workplace.

If your boss asks you to do something that is not part of your job's list of responsibilities (unless, of course, the request is morally and ethically acceptable), then the best solution is to do this task with enthusiasm. Then set up a meeting with your boss to discuss your role in the company and ask if you might want to update your personal list of responsibilities. This way, you are very likely to avoid making your role look too shallow. It also allows you and your boss to establish a long-term understanding of what you should and shouldn't do in your current position.

8. "It's not my fault"
Blaming someone is almost always a bad idea. Be responsible. If you are in any position - even the smallest - if something went wrong, take responsibility for it. If not, then offer a solution to the problem, explain what exactly happened wrong. Stick to the facts and let your bosses and colleagues decide who to blame for the situation.

The very moment you begin to blame someone else, the people around you begin to see you as a person who lacks the ability to take responsibility for their own actions. This makes people even more nervous. Some people will try not to work with you when they have the opportunity, while others will strike first and blame you if something goes wrong.

9. "I can't"
“I can't” is the cousin of the phrase “it's not my fault”. People don't like to hear that you can't do something because they think you just don't want to do it. By saying "I can't," you are saying that you will not try your best to get the job done.

If you really cannot do something because you lack the necessary skills, then you need to offer an alternative solution to this problem. Instead of talking about what you cannot do, tell what you can do.

For example, instead of saying, “I can't stay later today,” say that you can come early tomorrow. Instead of “I cannot do this calculation,” say, “I don't know how to do this analysis yet. Do we have someone who could tell me how to do this correctly? "

10. "I hate this job"
The last phrase no one wants to hear at work is someone complaining about how much they hate their job. By vocalizing such a thought, you demonstrate that you are a negative person, which, in turn, lowers group morality. Bosses are quick to spot these group moral destroyers and know that they can always be replaced by more passionate people who are now looking for work.

Summing up

As soon as you remove these phrases from your vocabulary, you will immediately feel the benefits of this decision. The main problem with these phrases is that they tend to slip out of your language absolutely imperceptibly, so you should catch yourself thinking about them in time until you finally get into the habit of completely refusing to say them.