very quick qestion about magnetic strip on (legit) debit card...

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
I have a prepaid debit card (Maestro) that i've been cashing to to, its in my own name so i've been using it for my own legit purchases when i need to buy stuff online.

I've had it for a few months and i never had the need to use it for withdrawing cash at ATM, but i tried today and the ATM says that the card cannot be read? Now its one of those strips that are silver in colour, if that makes a difference, and i assume its become demagnetized somehow (its actually the card i use as a tool on a metal tray during my 'extra-cirricular' activities at night, so i guess thats done it ;) )

Anyway, i still need to grab some cash from the account tonight, and was thinking of going buy something and asking for cashback at the till. But does the till read the magnetic strip or is it just the chip&pin?

A total n00b question i know, but instore is something i've never tried or looked into much :eek:

Thanks in advance! :)

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
Right is this a difficult question or just no-one bothered to answer?

I never ever use credit or debit cards in shops (for obvious reasons lol), always cash, but if i did then i would know.

I want to get this done ASAP, like in the next few hours, but don't wanna look dodgy in any shops lol. Especially since i'm not 100% sure what the pin number is, i might have to try a couple at the machine at the till, lol

bamboocha

DEER
Reaction score
if its laser u can use it inside of stores,bt its its only maestro u can use only at atm or online

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
no way, really?

WTF, it says on the website you can use it in ATMs and in stores. But like i never use any cards to pay in person, and i mean ever in my life. :eek:

I only withdrew funds to that card because there was money moving in and out of the account i was withdrawing from from one card an i8 thought i would use another one (this PAYG maestro card) since its in my name as well.

Damn thats gonna leave me screwed today if i can't get cash out of it :(

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
what you mean?

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
yeah its got a chip in it. the only time this card as never been physically used is by myself when im using it for something completely different lol, and when it gets swiped at the paypoint machine in a filling station or whatever whenever i'm adding funds to it. In fact i think i only put money on it on Friday and then withdrew to it on Sunday. So the magnetic stripe must be working if they swiped it and topped it up ?

pacm@n

Professional
Reaction score
Ok actually went out a couple of hoursago and tried the card in a filling station. The magentic strip is damaged according to the guy working at the the till (i guess hats my fault for using it as a powder grinder, lol).