[ARTICLE] Novelty ID Guide

kilobit

VIP member
Reaction score
An interesting read from back in the good ol' days......hope it helps.

--kilobit

===============================================
ALL ARTICLES FROM www.counterfeitlibrary.com

2ALL: WARNING. ALL INFO IS FOR READ ONLY. YOU CAN NOT USE IT, BEFORE YOU ARE NOT MEMBER OF www.counterfeitlibrary.com !!! join: hxxp://www.counterfeitlibrary.com/cl/ membership.asp
IF U NOT AGREE WITH IT, PLEASE LEAVE THIS PAGE.

2 www.counterfeitlibrary.com YOU HAVE SERIOUS HOLE, THAT GIVE ACCESS TO SOME INFO IN MEMBERSHIP. 2detalis: [email protected]

Types of Fake ID Cards

article by Johnny Primus

Counterfeit ID Cards
These are licenses that are completely different from the actual valid license. They may be designed to look "official" or they may follow a familiar, earlier license style.

Altered ID Cards
Additions and changes are often made to an actual, valid license, or a photograph of a valid license. This type of technique is used by minors for liquor purchase , by credit card defrauders who need supporting IS, and others involved in identity change efforts

Forged ID Cards
When alterations are combined with forgery of the license (usually adding a new photograph), fraud can be detected by checking for raised edges around the photograph, unauthorized lamination, a broken or partial signature and missing or partial state seals at photo edge.

Fake ID Guide--All you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask

article by DrNick

So you want to get drunk this weekend. Or buy some cigarettes. It is sometimes easier to buy marijuana and take advantage of the black market brought on by the War on Drugs. Or, follow on and learn how to kill your brain cells with alcohol.

Table of Contents

I. Disclaimer/Legality

A. Getting ID
B. Making your own ID
C. Buying ID
D. Using the Fake ID

I. Disclaimer

Fake ID is both a state and federal crime. If caught you might not be charged with both, but who knows? Usually making a fake ID is illegal in many states. It is usually a crime to alter existing state-issued ID, or to create a new fake ID. These crimes include forgery and fraud. They are no fun to get charged with. This site has some more info on it, it is a good example and food for thought:

{hxxp://www.colorado.edu/sacs/ralphie/a/Appendix_B,_Alc.html}

Using a fake ID to purchase alcohol or cigarettes is some sort of crime. These crimes all differ from state to state, so check your local laws. I do not advocate creating a fake or fraudulent id. This information is for informational and novelty use only. Do not break any laws. This is not intended for anyone evading prosecution, warrants, etc. I will not hinder prosecution. I do not know how to create a new identity.

A. Getting ID

You can make it yourself or buy it. Some texts you might read talk about birth certificates and death certificates and all that crap. There are some links included which will take you there. This phile will help you make your own ID. This ID is intended primarily to get you into bars and help you buy beer. Don't even bother trying to fool a cop or fed with it.

B. Making it yourself:

You will need a various combination of the following tools, but these are just guidelines. You should try experimenting with different combinations and seeing which one works best for your ids! You can probably find all you need here at Staples or your local stationary store.

1. Computer (if you don't have one just forget it)
2. Color scanner for computer (or access to a friends)
3. Color Printer (hardcore=die-sub printers, for home hacking try Epson 400, 600, 800 series)
4. Software--Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro
5. Cutting Tool: Exacto Knife (preferred method) or really sharp short blade on Swiss Army
Knife (used to cut out the printed id from the rest of the paper)
6. Adhesive: Strong Glue PayPal or Double sided scotch tape (experiment here)
7. Posterboard or Manila file folder or Metrocard (strengthens the card--experiment here)
8. Contact paper (optional use only to get the right "look" or "feel")
9. A pencil
10. Paper to print front of id on--high quality inkjet or photoglossy depending on id. Don't even
bother with copy paper.
11. The ID you want to fake (whether it be New York, Connecticut, LILCO, or NYNEX)
12. Nail File (for smoothing ID's edges).
Also you might want to try 3M id cards. They come 2 to a sheet. Experiment.

How to Make it:
1. You need an ID or a template. You need to know what the legitimate 21 year old version of the ID looks like. Its good if you have a legit ID on hand to compare yours with. Check the "{The I.D. Checking Guide}" (hxxp://www.driverslicenseguide.com/) as an invaluable reference tool. It is a great book worth the order. If you need to scan in your own picture or ID make sure it is very clean. Use a high resolution, 720 DPI is good. You must use at least 24 bit resolution. Making your own template is as easy as recognizing the important information on the id and how to correctly present it.
2. Follow what the template says. Put the picture in the right place. Fill in the right blanks.
3. Find a good medium to print on and work with. Remember you are going to need a front and back for this ID. I have seen fake NY State Ids using recycled Learners Permits. The new fake front is glued on top of a learners permit so the back is the same. Sometimes though you don't have an old license around. If not then scan the back of the drivers license and print it out on posterboard. Use the posterboard as the back. Its not perfect but close. Again, you are encouraged to experiment and see if you can find something better.. This is part of the process and helps you stay on your game as an artist.
4. Print the front out. Use a high quality paper, photo glossy is not necessary and is sometimes too thick or glossy for the job. Depending on what ID you are imitating you may or may not need a laminating surface.
5. Use a glue PayPal or double PayPal tape to adhere the front of your ID to the back.
6. Trim the corners with the knife (if necessary). If necessary you might want to use a nail file to smooth the edges on the ID.

C. Purchasing Fake ID

If you live in a big city (ie: New York) walk down to the business districts (ie: Times Square, Eighth Avenue, W. 47th Street) and you can find some shops. I am not 100% sure as I have never done this myself but my friends have. Look and listen. In New York you can sometimes buy fake ID in the back of luggage shops. Weird but true. It is often some fake looking out of state or some bad college id, but see if it suits your needs. Most of the net is full of crappy novelty ID, nothing to buy beer with. Info on the net will help you make your own.

D. Using the ID

So, you finally got an ID. One that says your 21 or 18 or however old you need to be to buy items (to exercise your property rights!). So, now that you've invested $20-$100 you're all set, right? Wrong! If you were I wouldn't waste my time by writing this, or make you read it. This is free advice. Take it. Kant says the only right acts are those with good intentions. I try.

Don't consume alcohol in public where doing so is prohibited by law (ie: on the street). This is because it is illegal and when some cop finds out you are not only drinking on his streets but not even twenty-one he will throw a fit. Save yourself the trouble.

If your ID is successful or not depends on many things. Some are beyond your control, such as the club's policy on fake id. Some are within your control, such as how you present yourself and what you exude.

Factors beyond your control:
The setting. Ie: the bar, restaurant, store. Hopefully you can choose a place that is easily passable.

Possibly within your control:
Your server/bouncer. When in a grocery store DO go towards the 19 year old cashier. The younger ones usually care less about this whole ID thing. DO take advantage of the Korean/Pakistani Immigrant grocer. In the midst of all of Guiliani's Law and Order crackdown my friend at NYU can still buy his Coronas quite easily. The immigrant clerk questions my friend "Id?" To which my friend replies (with a smile) "Yes ID." Your biggest friend is your great personality. Look happy and confident and you will walk away with the beer. DON'T PANIC!

What you can do:
Know your fake birthday, name, address, zip code all that info on the card and your Zodiac sign. Go to a place that has accepted your ID in the past! This is my best advice. When waiting on a line for admission to a club have the ID ready--be confident! When you are purchasing at a grocery store or take out place it is nice to have it ready to present to the cashier. Try to view it as a formality that you are accustomed to engaging in. You are used to getting carded...remember?
In a restaurant chances are about 50/50 you will be carded when ordering from a waiter. If you are with your parents these odds decrease, with your friends these odds increase. However I have been denied in older company and served with my friends. Lucky Chengs has been particularly lenient...of course in that case you wouldn't even need ID. What can I say? I am only trying to help.

============================================

How to build a fake College ID

article by Bishop

I. Introduction

A Fake ID is realitively easy to make. In this article I will teach you how to build a fake College ID. College ID's are much easier than a drivers licence, becuase of the
number of colleges. As long as they have your Date of Birth you'll be ok. It will be approx. $75.00 investment to buy the equipment.

II. Necessary Equipment

I have built many fake College ID's perfectly so PayPal to the recepie

GBC DocuSeal 30 -- Laminator

GBC Laminating Pouches -- Laminate Card (25 to a box) (Badge Card Size)

Bulldog Paper Slicer -- a cutting board and a slicer to make perfect cuts

New Razor Blade -- allways prove useful

Adobe Photoshop 4.0 -- Necessary Software

Ink Jet printer -- never use a dot matrix! (color optional)

Recent Photograph -- This will be a photo ID (wallet size)

A VHS tape -- ya' know the kind you put in your VCR

III. Using the Software

Make dimention of the card 3.5 inches wide 2.333 inches tall Now using text only put in the name of a College one state away from you. Use only adverage colleges, not Yale or anything. Use Ariel Rounded MT Bold for the name of the college. Then under
that use Calisto MT for the town the college is in.

--------------------------------------
| | |
| Photo | Marywood |
| goes | College |
| here | |
| | Scranton, PA. |
| until the line | |
| | date / here |
--------------------------------------

The graphic above is a rough disription

Now you have the front, print out the card.

Next you have to give the card a back.
Make a new card with the same dimentions,
type the below using Ariel Rounded MT Bold

Birth Date: Height: Weight:
___________ _______ _______

print out the file

Use your Paper Slicer to cut out the card to the correct size. Then fill out the card
with the approate information. An existing card like a drivers liscence or credit card
can help. After both cards are cut out, get the badge card lamenate and insert both cards. Flip it over and make sure you've done it right. Take out your picture and use the Paper Slicer to cut the picture out to the size of the card and put it in place. Do not use any glue! Let the badge holder hold it in place.

Now get out that VHS tape and take it apart. Carefully remove tape and measure the exact width of the paper card. Put the strip of film at the bottom on the Badge Card. It should look like a real card. You will notice a tint / blur in the card. This is ok, don't worry. After it is centered and cut PERFECTLY!!!!!

put the card in the Leadered Carrier folder and make sure the stuff in the card doesn't move. Now plug in the Laminantor, wait a minute and it be warmed up. Make sure the green light is on. Put the laminantor in the on mode. Now slowly and carefully put in the folder adn laminate the card. Open the Carrier and take out you new ID!!!!!

Please remember Fake ID's are an art NOT a science.
Try a few before you quit and, don't settle for an ID that has a flaw, Fake ID's are against the law!

IV. Getting away with it.

REHEARSE YOUR INFORMATION! assure yourself you know that you were born in
1978 or whatever year you need to be 18 or 21. I reccomend you keep the same name, height, weight you really have.

==============================================

How to build a fake College ID #2

article by Epi

Ok, so you just got a new ID and ya want something to go with it. College ID's are really simple and you only need these materials:
1. Laminator (ya don't got it then I can't help)
2. Computer art program (i.e. adobe photoshop, I used Polaroid Photomax Pro and it works fine)
3. Butterfly pouches (10 mil)
4. 8-up teslin (or pvc card)
5. Printable transparencies
6. Inkjet printer (at least!!!!!!)
7. A scanned card or template
8. The colleges logo
9. Colleges fight song
10. 3m glue spray (optional)
11. Passport photo
Ok, first, search the internet and get the logo once you do that, resize and place it in one corner (depending on the template). change the colors of the lines one the id into the college's colors. put your photo on and outline it with one of the college colors. Next, fill in all of your info (birth date, student #, etc., whatever you think you need).

For the back, write the fight song on it and out it in the team colors. Some colleges use this, some dont, no clerk is gonna know this unless they went there. To finish up the template, put any finishing touches on it, its your choice.

Now that your template is finished, you hav a choice: print it out on the teslin or print on the transparency. I'm not sure which works better, so sorry, your on your own for that.

Once you print it, just laminate with the butterfly pouch. If your laminator only says 5 mil pouches, most will still laminate 10 mil, just run it through 3 times. The GBC docuseal will not, it bubbles. If you want to make it look even more real put a holo on it or someting. I don't know of any colleges that have a holo, but it just makes it look more real.

Good Luck!!!

Who Are You? How To Be Someone You're Not

article by Bela_Lagousi

Fake IDs
Why do I need a fake ID?
You may be asking yourself "Self, Why do I need a Fake ID?" Well There are several reasons, the most common being age. But there ARE other reasons. If you want an account at an Entertainment store you need some form of photo ID, Want to check out the Pool balls at the Hotel, We need to see some ID. You Get the picture. BUT if you can make a Fake ID you can keep the stuff. You can be 17, 18, or even 21.

Can't I just buy one?
Yes, you can! BUT there are ways that are Cheaper, Less Risky, More Realistic, and If YOU make them, then you can sell them and make money!

Who Makes The Best?
Your local Tag Agency, you know the place where they make the REAL ones. Thats right you to can have an ID that will fool everyone, EVEN THE COPS! How do you conveince them to make you a fake ID?? YOU DON'T!! Simply go to friend of Legal age (If your 14 youll NEVER pull off 21!) and borrow there Social Security Card and Birth Certificate This works in like 40 states IT WILL NOT WORK IN CALIFORNIA! In California they require a fingerprint!

Want To Make Your Own?
Of course you do thats why your reading this Article!! This is a little more tricky. Here it goes...

THINGS YOULL NEED:
TEMPLATES
COREL PHOTO PAINT / DRAW
PHOTOSHOP
TELETYPE FONT
TIMES NEW ROMAN FONT
A COLOR PRINTER (PREFERABLY LASER)
A SMALL PHOTOGRAPH OF YOUR SELF
AN IMAGINATION

1. Find a Template, always the hardest part.

2. Open your template using Corel Photo Paint or Adobe PhotoShop

3. Most of these Template don't already have any Text if they don't SKIP THIS STEP!
A) Select Draw start line and appropriate size (usually about 24) Erase the pre-recorded info
B) Proceed to step 4

4. FONT! Use Teletype or some other font that resembles a type writer or Dot Matrix printer. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!

5. FILLING IN THE BLANKS: Now for the Text THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Use you REAL height and Weight. MAKE SURE YOU LINE THESE UP EXACTLY!!!

6. NAME, ADDRESS, AND SSN. To generate SSN numbers I recommend a Carding Prom such as Credit Wizard or FakeID.exe. FakeID is a better program but it IS NOT IN ENGLISH. Make up a Birthday. DO NOT USE YOUR OWN INFO!!

7. PRINTING. Use as good a printer as possible this will take some time paper and ink to get the sizing right size it to match your REAL ID.

8. The BACK. I don't have any back templates scan the back of yours or copy the text be sure to but change the state names!

9. LAMINATING You will need a pouch laminator, but you don't have one and you don't have $2,000 to cough up. GET A FRIEND AT BLOCK BUSTER! Or Use a Razor to Open your Block Buster Card and insert Fake ID.

10. USE. THERE ARE SEVERAL TRICKS TO USING IT.
A) It werks best at night in not well lit places.
B) COPS ARE TRAINED! You can't fool a cop
C) MOST WALLETS HAVE AN ID SLOT WITH A THICK VYNIL WINDOW! Use it! It will distort a real ID even a little more difficult to see Imperfections

International ID Cards

article by {hxxp://www.counciltravel.com/idcards/default.asp}

{How to Apply for your International Identity Card: hxxp://www.counciltravel.com/idcards/apply.asp}

IYTC FAQ
What is the International Youth Travel Card? -
The International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) is an internationally recognized identification card for anyone under 26 years of age who is not a student. The card is administered internationally by the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) and is administered in the U.S. by Council Travel. The IYTC in the past has been known as the GO25 Card but its name has been changed to better fit the card.

I am under 26 years old, but why do I need the IYTC? -
IYTC is officially endorsed by international organization, national governments and student organizations. With the IYTC, you'll have access to special discounts on airfare, accommodations, transportation and much more!

Where can I get a list of these special discounts? -
Details of the benefits and discounts for the card are outline in the free Z-Card that is distributed with each card or visit the International Student Travel Confederation's (ISTC) Web site for specific discounts.

How long will my Identity Card be valid? -
The IYTC is valid for one year from the date of purchase.
How can I purchase the International Youth Travel Card (IYTC)? -
To purchase the card in the U.S., see the How to Apply page. To purchase an ISIC outside the U.S. visit the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) web site to find the Issuing Office nearest you.

What if I'm not under 26 years old? -
If you are a student, you are eligible for the International Student Identity Card

If you are a teacher, you are eligible for the International support Identity Card

{Order Now}hxxp://www.counciltravel.com/idcards/OrderCard.asp?Agree=1&name=go%2B25

ISIC FAQ
What is the International Student Identity Card? -
Endorsed by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the International Student Identity Card, often called the ISIC (that's "eye'zic"), was initiated to give traveling students a document that would be readily accepted worldwide as proof of their student status.
I already have a student ID, why do I need the ISIC? -
Your regular college or university ID won't be readily recognized internationally –and sometimes not even understood. ISIC is the world's most widely accepted student identity card. It is issued in over 90 countries to over 4 million students yearly . With the ISIC, you'll have access to special discounts on airfare, accommodations, transportation, basic traveler's insurance and much, much more!

Details of the benefits and discounts for the card are outline in the free, 128-page International Student Identity Card Handbook that is distributed with each card. Worldwide discounts are also listed on the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) web site.
How long will my 2001 International Student Identity Card be valid? -
Your ISIC is valid from September 1, 2000 through December 31, 2001.

How do I purchase the International Student Identity Card? -
To purchase the card in the U.S., see the How to Apply page. To purchase an ISIC outside the U.S., visit the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) web site to find the Issuing Office nearest you.
What if I'm not a student? -
If you are under 26 and not a student, you are eligible for the International Youth Travel Card (IYTC)
If you are a teacher, you are eligible for the International support Identity Card (ITIC)

{Order Now}hxxp://www.counciltravel.com/idcards/OrderCard.asp?Agree=1&name=isic

ITIC FAQ
What is the International support Identity Card? -
The International support Identity Card, often called the ITIC (that's "eye'tic") was initiated in 1984 to give traveling teachers/faculty a document that would be accepted around the world as proof of teacher status. ITIC is administered internationally by the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) and is administered in the United States by Council Travel. Issued in over 40 countries and endorsed by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), the ITIC is a basic travel document for faculty member at all levels.

I already have a faculty ID, why do I need the ITIC? -
ITIC is officially endorsed by international organization, national governments and student organizations. With the ITIC, you'll have access to special discounts on airfare, accommodations, transportation and much more!

Details of the benefits and discounts for the card are outline in the free International support Identity Card Handbook that is distributed with each card. Worldwide discounts are also listed on the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) web site.

How long will my 2000 International support Identity Card be valid? -
The ITIC is valid from September 1, 1999 through December 31, 2000.

How do I purchase the International support Identity Card (ITIC)? -
To purchase the card in the U.S., see the How to Apply page. To purchase an ITIC outside the U.S. visit the International Student Travel Confederation's (ISTC) Web site to find the Issuing Office nearest you.
What if I'm not a teacher? -
If you are under 26 and not a student, you are eligible for the International Youth Travel Card (IYTC)
If you are a student, you are eligible for the International Student Identity Card

{Order Now}hxxp://www.counciltravel.com/idcards/OrderCard.asp?Agree=1&name=itic

Magnetic Stripes

article by TopHat

These only look like the magnetic stipes, they are not working magnetic stripes!

Ok, what you need to make magnetic stipes is just black elecrtical tape, scissors, and an iron. Now cut the tape so it is the width that you want usually about 1/4 of an inch. And cut it the entire length of the card, and tape it on. Now this is how the final product will look, but if someone were to examine it they would find that the tape is elevated off of the card Now what you need to do is place a soft cloth over the card and iron the tape. Waht you want to do is melt the edges of the tape onto the card so that when you run your fingers over it you cannot feel the difference.

Keep at it, this sounds A LOT easier than it really is. and also do in on TOP of the lamination, duh.

ID card Holograms

article by TopHat

A hologram can greatly affect the look of an id, since holograms are incredibly hard to reproduce, one will almost surely validate the credibility of your card. To make holograms you will need:
Titanium Dioxide Powder (look in chemistry catalogs,labs, some art stores)
Acrylic Base (most art supply stores) Razor Blade ( Revco, your friend for life)
Now mix the powder and base, it be like a paint
with sparkles in it. Now spread it out over the spot
where you want your hologram to be, and use the razor blade
to scrape off the design. Scrap off the paint where you want
just the card to shine through. If you mess up, scrap it all off
and start again. Study the hologram you want to duplicate
throughly so you are able to copy it well. What this basically
is is just paint that has sparkles in it, and when held at an angle
will shine, just like a hologram. Do this UNDER/BEFORE you laminate.
If you plan on mass producing these, I suggest that you make
a stencil out of cardboard or plastic, it will greatly affect
the time and the look.

Holograms peel offs can also be purchased from paper companies, or
police supply catalogs. These are better looking, easier, cheaper,
but come only in limited styles (not likely to find state seals and the like).

other ways are:

Here's what you do: Take the seal off of the template that you are using. Copy and paste it as a new image in the same location that you took it from on the template. (hint: most graphics programs show the coordinates of your pointer in the bottom-left corner of the screen) Copy the shape and contents of the hologram and paste it exactly where it should be on the new image you have created just like you did with the state seal. Once this is complete, print this out on a transparency sheet. (I usually print out a whole page them at a time so I don't have to waste transparency sheets) The easiest way the cut-out the transparency is to lay it right on top of your printed license (paying attention to the location of the seal and the hologram image) and cut around the edges of the license with an Exact-o knife. Once you have the transparency sheet cut-out, here's how you turn the hologram into a believable one: Go to your local office supply company. (Officemax is great) Look for presentation foil sheets ( they are usually right next to the laminating supplies ). The come in a variety of colors, find one that matches the color of your state's hologram. Gold colored works for most holograms. Cut a piece of foil big enough to cover your hologram and then place it in a carrier and run it through your laminator. When it comes out, peel off the foil paper and you'll be amazed at the finished hologram. Put this back on whatever you are going to laminate and then put the whole thing in a pouch a laminate it. You will never notice the transparency sheet being there. Don't be cheap and use an iron to laminate, spend $50 and buy one (use a minimum of 5 mil laminating pouches) One more thing, Scotch makes a rePayPalable adhesive glue PayPal so you can paste a remove your photo, or whatever, as many times as you want to ensure that you get the photo on straight. (to paste the photo on --if using Polaroid's) IMPORTANT: Make sure to let the Polaroid's sit for at least 30 minutes before you peel the back layer off of them. If you don't give it time, pieces of the Polaroid ink will stay on the backing paper leaving you minus facial features. But, make sure you take the backing off of the Polaroid or else it won't look genuine, the picture will PayPal out.

or...

First your going to need the real thing if you can get a holo. Go to walmart or any Photoshop, and invest in some of the 3D Film. Now you can buy the cheap kind that comes in the disposable camera or you can buy the real stuff at most photoshops. As always, the more money you spend usually the better its gonna look. Now while your there look for the transparency paper. any transparency plastic sheets will work, but if you buy the ones from the photoshop your chances of a better look HOLO go up.

Once you got your supplies, expose a whole role of film on your holo. 3D doesnt always come out the greatest so you'll probably get 4 or 5 good ones out of a role of film. Now when you go to get these developed you want to get them printed, and you want to keep the negatives. This way you can find the best ones and know which negative they corespond to. When you choose your best negatives, Here comes the hard part.

You need to have some sort of access to a dark room, and hopefully you know how to develop pictures. Any old Darkroom will work. As long as you have taken photography or know the basic gist of it, you will be fine. Now what what you want to do is make your own prints on the transparency sheets. This is tricky, becuase if you move it at all when it is being developed the HOLO's will blur. So basically get a bunch of time and a bunch of negatives and a bunch of transparency sheets. Try to have someone who knows hwo to develop film with you. This helps. Also when you ary drying the photo try to keep all light away from it. when you normally print you can turn the lights on a and let them dry. With holo's let them dry completely in the dark. Dont use a hairdryer or anything to speed the process up, that will fuck things up. be prepared to spend some time before you get the hang of it.

Primer on Electronic Card Technologies

article by CyberChix

Yesterday, I used a magnetic stripe credit card to pay for a purchase at a local clothing store; at the same time, I presented my storage-only contact card to add my frequent buyer points. Next, I used my memory chip with register contact card to make a prepaid phone call.

Later in the day, I stopped at the bank and used my microprocessor contact card to withdraw some money from my checking account. (Thankfully, I remembered my PIN number.) Then, I stopped by the daycare to pick-up my son; I used my contactless card to enter the building.

Next, we entered the transit station and caught the bus to head home. I am so glad I finally got those combi cards to pay our toll. It sure makes getting around quick, simple and hassle-free.

I needn’t bore you with anymore details of my life. But, I’m sure you get the picture.
How many times today did you use an electronic card? What type of technology did it employ? What purpose did the card serve?

ELECTRONIC CARD TECHNOLOGIES IN TODAY’S MARKETPLACE
Let’s take a quick look at the electronic card technologies being used in today’s
marketplace and what applications commonly use these technologies. With a basic
understanding of how these different types of cards work, you will begin to see the
endless possibilities for their application.
• MagneticStripeCards
• Memory and Microprocessor Smart Chips
• ContactCards
• ContactlessCards
• Hybrid/Twin Cards
• CombiCards
• Proximity Cards
• OpticalCards

Magnetic Stripe Cards
Magnetic stripe cards are everywhere. This well-established technology is common in industries with low- to medium-data storage needs.

The most common applications for magnetic stripe cards are financial cards, transit tickets, and ID cards.
• Bank credit and debit cards.
• Prepaid telephone and vending cards.
• Subway, railroad, bus, toll road, and airline cards.
• Driver licenses, employee ID badges, membership cards, and door keys.

Magnetic stripe cards have a black or brown magnetic stripe made up of magnetic particles of resin. These types of cards can be either low-coercivity (LoCo) or high-coercivity cards (HiCo).

Coercivity is the ability of a property to resist demagnetization. It is measured in oersteds (Oe). The material used for the particles determines the coercivity of the stripe: low- coercivity stripes at 300 Oe are made of iron oxide and high-coercivity stripes at 2750 to 4000 Oe are usually made from barium ferrite. The higher the coercivity, the harder it is to encode information — and to erase information.

Memory and Microprocessor Smart Chips

Before we take a look at the many types of smart cards, it’s important to understand the various chips found in these cards. The chips used in contact, contactless, hybrid/ twin, and combi cards fall into two categories: memory and microprocessor.

Memory Chips

A memory chip is similar to a small floppy disk. This type of chip primarily stores information, access control, or a value that can be “spent.” It holds anywhere from 103 bits to 16,000 bits of data.

Memory chips are less expensive than microprocessors, but they also offer less security because they depend on the security of the card reader. Because of this, memory chips are ideal for use in applications requiring low- to medium-security. Memory chips can be divided into two categories: Storage-Only and Memory Chip with Register.TheStorage-Only Memory Chip has rewriteable memory. It is often used in loyalty applications to store a buyer profile. The buyer earns points as they spend money and these points are later redeemed for various rewards. The Memory Chip with Register begins with a value that decreases with use. It is not
rewriteable; once the value is exhausted, the card is discarded. The most common applications for this chip are prepaid telephone and vending cards.

Microprocessor Chips

A microprocessor chip can add, delete, change, and update information. It is
basically a computer with an input/output port, operating system and hard disk.
Microprocessor chips come in 8-, 16-, and 32-bit formats with data storage
capacities ranging from 300 to 32,000 bytes.
Microprocessor chips offer a high degree of security to the user. They have the
ability to verify the cardholder with a PIN (or other secret code). Banking,
identification, healthcare, and other industries that require high security are
currently utilizing microprocessor cards.

Contact Cards

A contact card has a gold chip embedded in the card; the dimensions and location of the chip are standard and are defined in ISO 7816-2. This kind of card requires insertion into a smart card reader and a direct connection with the physical contact points on the card to transmit data. Contact cards are used frequently in banking, communications, healthcare, loyalty, and storing automotive service histories.

Contactless Cards

Contactless cards have an antenna coil and a chip embedded in the card. This type of card must pass within varying degrees of proximity to a smart card reader. The embedded antenna communicates with a receiving antenna at the transaction point. Access control, student identification, electronic passport, vending, parking, and toll are common applications for contactless cards.

• Immediate proximity smart cards must pass less than 1 millimeter from the reader and be precisely aligned.
• Close proximity smart cards must be between 1 and 2 millimeters from the reader in a specific orientation.
• Remote coupling smart cards can function in a range from a few centimeters up to 3 to 5 meters from the reader in any orientation.
Hybrid/Twin Cards

A hybrid/twin card has two chips embedded in it: a contactless chip and a contact chip. The chips may be memory or microprocessor chips. The contactless chip is for applications demanding fast transaction times — like mass transit. The contact chip is used in applications requiring higher security. The two chips are not connected to each other. Instead, one chip serves the consumer needs and the other the card issuer needs. This type of card also offers a temporary solution for contact card systems switching to contactless.

Combi Cards

The combi card — also known as a dual-interface card — offers a contact and contactless single chip. This is a popular form of smart card because it extends ease-of- use to both the card issuer and the consumer. Mass transit is expected to be one of the more popular applications for the combi card. In the mass transit application, the contact interface may be used to place a cash toll value on the combicard whilethecontactlessinterface isused to remove atollvalue.

Proximity Cards

Proximity cards utilize contactless technology. They are growing in popularity because of the convenience they offer markets like identification, mass transportation, security, and access control. Contactless cards, hybrid/twin, and combi cards are examples of different types of proximity cards.

Here's how they work:
• An antenna is embedded in the card.
• The card passes within range of a reader, which activates the reader. Immediate proximity cards must pass less than 1 millimeter from the reader and be precisely aligned. Close proximity cards can be read up to 10 centimeters from the reader in a specific orientation.
Vicinity cards can function in arangefrom30to70centimetersfromthereader in any orientation.
• The embedded antenna communicates with a receiving antenna in the reader. The reader then sends the data to the host computer for processing. Proximity card technology is employed in a variety of markets including identification, analysis, transportation, distribution, industrial, security, and access control.
Optical Cards

Optical cards employ a CD-ROM type of technology to store information. A section ofthe lasersensitive mediaislaminatedinto acardand isused to storedata.The mediaisawrite once read many(WORM)media.

An optical card stores between 4 and 6.6 MB of data. This makes it an ideal carrier for graphics such as photographs, logos, fingerprints, x-rays, etc. Data is encoded in a linear x-y format. ISO/IEC 11693 and 11694 standards cover the details. Optical cards currently are utilized to store prenatal-care records, medical images, and personal medical records.

They are also commonly used in the following applications:
• High-security drivers’ licenses and access/entry cards.
• Auto repair/warranty records.
• Secure bank debit cards.
• Immigrant ID cards.
• Automated cargo manifests for the Department of Defense logistics.

=============================================
Guide to US & Canadian
Drivers License Security Techniques!

article by {Egg}

The following is a state by state (and Canadian province) list of tricks that are used on drivers licenses to prevent forgery.

One other thing. One the most common and easy to use security checks in use today is the Soundex system. You will notice that many states incorporate this into their licenses. I feel that everyone interested in the topic covered by this file should be made aware of this systems simplicity and also it's danger (to the unknowing), so I have included, at the end of this file, an explanation of the Soundex system.

- UNITED STATES LICENSES
- CANADIAN LICENSES
- SOUNDEX SYSTEM

------------------------------------
UNITED STATES LICENSES

Alabama:

This license is a photo ID card laminated in plastic. The driver's photograph is on the lower left corner, and overlapped by the state seal. The drivers license number and birth date are embossed at the top, and license of minors under 21 are further identified by a star embossed after the birth date.

Alaska:

This license is encased in plastic. If needed, "CDL" and the appropriate class appear in the class box. The manufacturer is Polaroid.

In the Minor's license, a red vertical "ALASKA" is on the left side, "UNDER 21" on the right side of the laminate and "UNDER 21" or "*U21*" is below the photo. Prior licenses have birth date only.

The state seal and camera number overlap the photo. There is a raised hologram on the current license.

The license number is up to 7 digits, without spacing, and it is not coded.

The license expires on the person's birthday five years after it has been issued. The certificate of the extension, found on the back of the license, can extend the expiration for one 5-year term for drivers under the age of 69. The operator must be atleast 16 years old.

This license is also a photo laminated type, but the lettering on it may be typewritten or "computer type," which offers the forger a choice. The signature of the Commissioner overlaps the photo. An additional safeguard is that the state seal overlaps the driver's signature.

Arizona:

This is a polyester photo ID card, but it is not laminated. The state seal is on the front of the license surrounded by a printed orange pattern which overlaps the type. The Assistant Director's signature is on the bottom. The driver's name, address, and other data may be typed or written in by hand.

Arkansas:

The current license is in credit card style with a ghost image and a yellow header. It has a 2d bar code and magnetic stripe on the back. Prior licenses are digitized with magnetic stripe on back. For CDL, blue map enclosing "CDL" and "Commerical drivers License" at right. "Commercia Drivers License" in green ink for prior CDL

Current license has a red header, a red border around the photo, birth day in a red box, "UNDER 18" and "UNDER 21" statements. Prior license uses same statements

This is a laminated photo ID, using the state seal overlapping the photo as a safeguard.

California:

The two newest formats have a pattern of the state seal and the DMV logo, which is in an optically variable gold ink in the newest format. The license may have a bar code and a magnetic stripe on the back, or just a magnetic stripe. The prior license has a retroreflective laminate on the front. The CDL has "COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE" in brown.

The Minor's license has the photo on the right. One license has "Provisional" and "Age 21" highlighted in blue or red color, respectively. Another license has "PROVISIONAL UNTIL AGE 18 IN (date)" in white letters on a blue bar, or it may have "PROVISIONAL UNTIL AGE 18" in red letters, for those under 18 years of age. The under 21 licenses have "AGE 21 IN (date)" in white letters over a red bar or in red lettering, or "UNDER 21 UNTIL (year)" in red or black.

One license has the state seal and DMV logo in an optically variable gold ink, microprinting and a secondary photo. Another license has a translucent hologram of the state seal and the DMV logo. Prior licenses have hidden reproductions of the state seal and "California" on the surface.

The license number has one letter, and 4-7 digits, which are unspaced and uncoded.

The license is valid for 4 years for an original license, or 4 or 5 years for a renewal license, which expire on the birth date. An accompanying certificate can extend the license for two 4 or 5 year terms. The operator's minumum age is 16.

This license is photograpghic, with a high-tech lamination the front. Type may be typewritten or computer type. The state seal and the name "California" are hidden in the laminate.

Colorado:

One license is made of durable plastic with a scenic backdrop of mountains, a digital photo at the left, and a ghost image on the right. Another license is photographic and encased in plastic. "COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE" for the CDL is below the state heading for the first license, and in a yellow band below the heading for the second. The first has a magnetic stripe and 2D bar code on the back, and the second just has the magnetic stripe.

The Minor's license is in the vertical format, and has "UNDER 21" in red above the photo, along with a ghost image on the right. A probationary license has a gradient gray background. The other license has a profile photo prior to 8/94, but now features a full-face photo. "UNDER 21" in a yellow bar, or "UNDER 18" in a red bar is on the right. The prior license has license numbers prefixed with an M for those under 18, and P for those between 18-20, along with "UNDER 18" or "UNDER 21" in a box to the right of the license number.

The first license has the state seal in a continuous row across the center, and the other license has a row of state seals across the bottom. Prior licenses have the state seal at the top of bottom edge of the photo and data area.The license number has 9 numbers, and prior licenses usually have 1, but up to 5 letters and up to 6 digits.

The adult licenses are valid for 5 years, and for 4 years if commercial licenses, which all expire on the birth date. Under 18 and Under 21 licenses expire 20 days after the 18th and 21st birthdays, respectively. One-year extensions are available for out-of-state renewals, and 2 extensions are available for out-of- the-country applicants. The operator's minimum age must be 16.

This is a photo-Id with a polycarbonate (Lexan) coating. This makes it very durable, as well as unusually flexible. The material gives it a different "feel" from most photographic materials. The state seal is in the center, and the Director's signature is in black.
The Colorado Id has about 5 holograms on it, all on the bottom of the ID. They are not true holograms, instead if you tilt the Id you will see these five holograms that simply look like gold. There is not a full color spectrum in the hologram. The hologram is of the state seal, and each one is a little more then a half inch in high.

A trick used on the Colorado Id is that of the information field "Hair." On most Ids it is actually spelled 'Hair', but instead on the Colorado it looks to be spelled with an 'e' instead. So sometimes bouncers will look at this and if it looks like it is spelled 'Hair' then they will pull out the Id book.

Connecticut:

This license is laminated, has a digitized shadow image of the driver, and the commisioner's signature overlapping the photo, which may be omitted on some. The CDL has "COMMERCIAL/DRIVER'S LICENSE" in green on the upper-right corner.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 21 UNTIL XX-XX-XX" in red over the picture instead of the two flags commonly seen on regular licenses.

The current license has a row of state seals at the bottom of the license, and an outline of the state with the state name diagonally through it, which is visible under black light. Another version has a rectangular security feature which overlaps the photo, ghost image and the data area. Both versions have authorizing signatures overlapping the photo, even though some issues of the other version failed to include this. There is also a ghost image. Finally. the state seal and camera code are visible over the lower right corner.

The license number is 9 digits without spacing. The first two digits are 01-12 according the month of the driver's birth if the birth year is odd, or 13-24 if the birth year is even.

The license is valid for 3-5 years, and expires on the person's birthday. The operator's minimum age is 16.

This is a Polaroid photo card, laminated in plastic with the gold printing "CONNETICUT" on the plastic. A gold "Y" is in the typed area for minor's licenses. There are several other tricks and kinks to this license:
The Commissioner's signature is on the edge of the photo. The first two digits of the nine-digit license number are coded. For drivers born in odd years, the first two numbers denote the month of birth by the numbers 01-12. Those born in even years have the numbers 13-24 to denote birth month.

Delaware:

This is also a photo-ID with lamination. The safeguards are the
Director's signature on the edge of the photo, the date and fee at the bottom, and a red background for the photos of those under age 21.

District of Colombia:

The proposed license is a credit card style with a blue header bar, which is not embossed. The driver's photo is on the left with a shadow image on the right side for all licenses. The current license is photographic and encased in plastic. "CDL" appears in the type box on both licenses is applicable.

The Minor's proposed license will be in the vertical format for those under 21. The graduated license will be issued to those under 21. The current license has a profile photo used for those under 21. Restriction 3 is applied to those under drivers under 18.

The proposed license has a security overlay with "WASHINGTON DC A CAPITAL CITY". The current license has an authorizing signature above the photo, a District seal in the data area, and a DC outline and ussuing office number which overlaps the photo. The District of Columbia emblem (3 stars above 2 bars) is in red at the bottom right. "WASHINGTON DC A CAPITAL CITY" is in a gold, repetitive pattern.

The license number is the social security number or an assigned number consisting of 7 computer-generated digits.

The license is valid for 4 years from the date issued, and may be valid for 5 years, expiring on the birth date. The operator's minumum age is 16.

DC issues photo-laminated ID with the Administrator's signature or the outline of the district map on the edge of the photo. The license number may be the Social Security number or one assigned by the issuing agency. The trick in this license is the code number "3" in the space for "Restrictions" to identify minors under 18.

Florida:

This license is made of PVC and has a holographic overlay and a magnetic stripe on the back. Prior issues are encased in plastic with variations in the statement above the signature. The CDL has "*CDL*" below the license number in the previous issue, and the current issue has "CDL" followed by the class on a blue bar on the left.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 21 UNTIL (date)" in a red bar below the photo. Prior issues have a yellow photo backdrop and after July 1989, a red vertical "UNDER 21" overlaps the photo's right edge. A vertical license is currently under consideration for 2000.

The current license has a holographic overlay of "Florida" and the state outline. Previous issues have the state seal and the camera number overlapping the photo, along with a vertical "FLORIDA" visible in ultra-violet light. Another issue has a state seal and a radiating security pattern in the data area.

The license number has 13 characters using the Soundex system. The first is the first letter of the driver's last name. The next 3 digits are the last name in Soundex code, and the next 3 are department coding. The next two are the year of birth, the next three are the coding of the birth date and sex, and the last digit is a check digit, which may not appear. Previous issues have 12 characters, set up as 4-3-2-3 also beginning with the first letter of the last name.

The license is valid for 4-6 years, expiring on the birthday with an 18-month early renewal option. A PayPaler can extend the license another 4 years if the license was issued between November 1985 and November 1989. The 4 and 6-year extension program was reinstated in 1992. The non-digital licenses can have two extensions. The operator's minimum age is 16.

This state issues photo-laminated ID with the state seal and camera number overlapping the photo. The license number follows the Soundex system and begins with the first letter of the last name and looks like this: J123-123-39-123. The two digit group is the birth year. An additional trick is that minors under 21 have a yellow background on their photos. The most difficult to overcome trick used with this license is state seals printed in ink visible only under ultraviolet light.

Georgia:

The license is photographic and laminated. Current licenses have a bar code on the back and a holographic patch in the front. On prior licenses, the photo runs from top to bottom on some issues, and the data box titles may vary. Current licenses have "Georgia" followed by "COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE" in a goldish- yellow. Prior issue has a yellow "GEORGIA" followed by "COMMERCIAL LICENSE" or "COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE" in smaller black letters with the same words in yellow across the data box.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 21" vertically to the left of the photo, the 21st birthdate, "UNTIL (21st birthdate)", a picture border, and heading all in red. The prior issue had "UNDER 21" in red on the front.

The current license has "Georgia" in a holographic patch over the driver's date of birth and the state seal. The prior issue has the Commissioner's and the Governor's signatures, and the state seal overlapping the photo.

The license number is up to 9 digits, and not coded. The Social Security number or a control number is used.

The license is valid for 4 years, expiring on the birthday. An honorary veteran's license may be updated by having the department PayPaler attached to the back. The operator's minumum age is 16.

This is a photographic laminated card with the blue state seal on the front, surrounded by a pattern of orange lines. The safeguards include both the Governor's and Commissioner's signatures, but not overlapping the photo. Drivers under 20 have a red bar at the top of the card.

Hawaii:

This license is a plastic card with a rainbow on the front. The CDL has "CDL" in red letters below the "CTY" field at the right side of the license.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 21 UNTIL (month-day-year of 21st birthday)" in red below the license number.

The current license has a holographic overlay of a hibiscus flower and "Aloha State" repeating over the face of the license. The prior license has a hologram with "ALOHA STATE" over the date of birth which encroaches into the picture area.

The license number is the Social Security number. The license number may change to an alternative system beginning in 2001 if pending legislation approves it.

The license is valid for 6 years for those 18-71 starting July 1997, expiring on their birthday. The license is valid for 4 years for drivers 15-17, and for 2 years for drivers 72 and older. Before 1997, people between 15-24 and adults 65 and older were issued licenses valid for 2 years, and all others expired after 4 years. The license can be renewed 6 months prior to expiration, even making some licenses (depending on birth date) valid for over 6 years. The operator's minimum age is 15, which may change to 16.

This looks more like a bank card than the typical drivers license because the data is embossed. The photo is at the upper right, embedded in the plastic card. An additional 10-digit number is at top right, above the photo, and minors under 17 are identified by having their photos in profile.

Idaho:

This license is photographic and encased in plastic. Older issues have date in boxes. The CDL has a notation above the signature, or "SEASONAL CDL" printed vertically in red on the left and right sides of the laminate.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 18 UNTIL (date)" in the donor area for those under 18 and "UNDER 21 UNTIL (date)" below the birth date for those under 21, starting January 2000. "UNDER 21" is also stamped in red to the right of the address for drivers under 21. Previous issues might not have the red stamp and some of the oldest issues may have profile photos. Drivers who are 15 are restricted to only driving during daylight until they are 16.

There is a repetitive gold state seal on the license, and the camera number splits the line on the right edge of the photo. An additional number must appear below the driver's license number.

The license number has 9 characters: 2 letters, 6 numbers, and 1 letter, starting May 1993. Before that date, the Social Security number or an assigned number, starting with 910, 920, or 940 and then 6 digits, was used.

The license is valid for 4 or an optional 8 years for those between 21 and 62, starting January 2000. Before that date, licenses are valid for 4 years. If a renewal PayPaler is attached to the back of an expired 4-year license, the license is extended for one more 4-year term. A separate 1-year extension is available. The operator's minimum age is 15 with driver training, with a daylight restriction until 16.

This license is a laminated Polaroid with a gold pattern in the lamination. Minors under 19 are identified by a photo in profile, instead of full-face. The license number may be the Social Security number. Otherwise, it's 9 digits beginning with "910" or "911". Only the Social Security number is hyphenated.

Illinois:

The current license is digitized with a retroreflective hologram. The CDL has a notation above the photo. The Social Security number may appear beside the birth date on the current license or above it for prior issues, but this is optional.

The Minor's license has a red headbar, and a red aura around the state seal. "UNDER 21 UNTIL (date)" is in the headbar, and the birth date is blocked in red. Prior licenses have a red photo backdrop, red bars at the top and bottom (in the laminate) and "UNDER 21" on the right side of the laminate and on the back for those under 21.

Current licenses have a hologram that says "A Safer State with .08" repeating across the bottom, and .08 is inside the state outline. Prior licenses have a raised hologram over the birth date area and the photo edge. Prior licenses have a small repetitive pattern of "ILLINOIS" across the data area.

The license number is the first letter of the last name, followed by 11 digits. XXX for the last name coded, XXX for the first name and middle initial coded, XX for the year of birth not coded, and XXX for the day and month of birth and sex, which might be different if two drivers have the same name and birth date.

The nonrenewal licenses are valid up to 5 years, and the renewals are valid for 4 years, expiring on the birthday. The Minor's license expires 3 months after the 21st birthday. The license can be extended for 4 years with a renewal PayPaler, as of January 1997. The operator's minimum age is 16.

This is a laminated Polaroid photo-ID with the repetitive letters "ILLINOIS" on the laminate. This license is full of tricks. As a start, the photo has a number overlapping it. The license number itself is coded. It begins with the first letter of the last name, followed by three digits coded on the last name. The next three digits are a code based on the first name and middle initial. The next two digits are the year of birth and the last three digits signify the person's sex, and the month and day of birth, again in code. The number is hyphenated in a misleading way, though: A123-4567-8901.

Indiana:

The current license is digitized with a security coating. The prior license is photographic and encased in plastic. The prior issues use slash marks in some date fields and the donor field may not be present. The current license uses red shading and "COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE-CLASS X" for CDL. The prior issue has a yellow headbar and has "COMMERCIAL/ DRIVER'S LICENSE".

The Minor's license has "Under 21 Until (date)" below the photo in red. Starting January 1999, drivers under the age of 18 have "PROBATIONARY" under license type. The older issue has a red photo background for drivers under 21.

The current license has a torch-and-stars pattern on laminate which is visible when tilted. The prior issue has the camera number overlapping the photo edge and a gold "INDIANA" pattern repeating on the laminate.

The license number is a 10-digit number spaced as XXXX-XX-XXXX and is not coded.

The license is valid for 4 years, expiring on the birth date, beginning January 1998. Before that date, the license expires on the last day of teh birth month. Drivers who are 75 or older receive 3-year licenses. The minimum operator's age is 16 years and 30 days.

This is a photo ID with a laminate on the front, which gives it a silky texture. There's nothing significant about the license number, which may be a Social Security or other number with 9 digits. One trick used in this license is listing both the expiration date and the date for re-examination. If they don't match, the license is fake. Additionally, there are state seals hidden in the plastic.

Iowa:
These licenses are the credit-card style, with bar codes and a magnetic stripe on the back. The prior license is enclosed in plastic. The CDL has a green header and a picture border, along with "IOWA COMMERCIAL/DRIVER LICENSE". The prior license has "CDL" down the right side of the license.

The Minor's license has drivers under 18 receiving a first-level operator license with a fuchsia header and a picture border, titled "IOWA INTERMEDIATE/DRIVER LICENSE". "Under 18/ 21 Until MM-DD-YY" apprears under the photo. Older formats have "UNDER 21" or "MINOR" down the right side. Current licenses have name and address in red below photo, and the last two digits of the date of birth are in red under the expiration date.

The director's signature and station number overlap the photo. There is also a multicolored state seal and a DOT logo repeating in the security laminate.

The license number is the Social Security number, or a combination of 3 numbers, 2 letters, and 4 numbers.

The license is valid for 2 or 4 years, expiring on the birthday, with a 60-day grace period. 2 or 4-year extensions take effect when they are accompanied by a renewal certificate. Also, two 6-month extensions are available. The first-level operator's license is good for up to one year. The operator's minumum age is 16, but the restricted license is available to those who are atleast 14.

This is a photo-ID laminated in plastic. The tricks employed in this license are that the Director's signature and the station number overlap the photo. The license number may be the SS number or nine digits and letters. Minors under 19 have their photos in profile. An additional trick is the lettering "IOWA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION" in the plastic.

Kansas:

This license is encased in plastic with or without rounded corners. A holographic rectangle is on the front, and and there is a magnetic stripe on the back. The Administrators' names may vary. For the CDL, "CDL" is on the headbar.

The Minor's license says "NOT 21 UNTIL XX-XX-XXXX" in white letters on a red band below the photo or "NOT 18 UNTIL XX-XX-XXXX" in black letters on a green band beginning July 1997. Drivers 14 to 16 have J02 or J09 in the restriction field or "Age Restricted to 16" or "Farm Permit".

The license uses a holographic rectangle which shows "KANSAS" in blue to the right of the photo.

The license number is the Social Security number or an assigned number of K and 8 digits.

The license is valid for 6 years for drivers between the ages of 21 and 64, which expires on their birthday, with a 2-year early renewal option, beginning January 1998. Before that date, licenses are valid for 4 years. Beginning July 1995, out-of-state licenses can be extended up to 6 months. The operator's minimum age is 14, which is restricted until 16.

This license is a laminated photo-ID with the state seal in front in the data area. Two signatures overlap the photo. There are a couple of tricks: Those under 21 have red backgrounds in the photos. The letters "KANSAS" are repeated on the laminate.

Kentucky:

This license is photographic and encased in plastic. The older issue features a repetitive pattern of "KENTUCKY" across the data area, and the current issue has a running horse as part of the state name. The prior issue has "CDL LIC" or "CDL LICENSE" printed above the photo. The current issue license shows "CDL" in the license type area.

The Minor's license has "UNDER 21" in blue on the sides of the laminate, and "UNDER 21" above the photo. The prior issue has blue bars at the top and bottom in the laminate, and the same words on the back.

The current issue has a large ghost seal and a stylized laminate, plus a vertical signature at the left side of the photo. The prior issue has a state seal above the data area, and the signature and camera number overlapping the photo edges.

The license number is a 9-character number beginning with a letter (usually the first initial of the last name), then the 2-digit year the license was issued, and then a sequence of 6 numbers. Before November 1996, this number was not hyphenated. Before November of 1995, the Social Security number or an assigned 9 or 10-digit number was used.

The license is valid for 4 years for drivers age 21 and over, expiring on the last day of the birth month. For those under 21, it is valid for up to 5 years, but it expires 30 days after the driver's 21st birthday. T