[ARTICLE] Making Secondary Doc's - Glossy/Matte

kilobit

VIP member
Reaction score
Enjoy.

--kilobit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have several documents that could be considered secondary ID such as a health insurance card and library card that are printed on paper that is glossy on one side and matte on the other side. These cards are fairly flexible and permit one to write on the matte side.

I was playing around with these and here is what I did to reproduce this kind of card:

What you need:

- Double sided Teslin
- Inkjet Printer (I used an Epson C80)
- Laminator (I used a GBC 40)
- Matte Acid Free Self Adhesive Film (I got mine at Michaels Crafts)
- A GBC or Ibico Laminating Pouch (the cheap ones like you get at Office Supply Stores)
- An Exacto Knife or Rotary Cutter and ruler
- Corner Rounder (optional)

I first started by making a suitable document to print, library card, health insurance card, etc. Print both sides on a sheet of double sided teslin.

Next cut out the document about 1/2 inch larger all around.

Take your GBC laminating pouch (I used an ibico business card size or you could use a 5 mil glossy pouch). Separate the two halves of the pouch, we only need one side.

Position your laminate on the side of the card that is to be glossy and attach with a small piece of tape. Put this in a carrier and laminate it using heat. I run mine through the laminator immediately after the hot light goes on.

Now let your laminator and pouch cool down, at least a couple of hours (I do mine the next day).

Cut a piece of the matte laminating film about the same size as your oversize card. Peel off the backing on the film and position it on the matte side of your card. I peel back about 1/2 inch and position this on the document and then use a ruler to push down the film and slowly peel back the rest of the backing.

With a cold laminator (this is important or the matte film will bubble) run your card in a carrier through the laminator.

Remove the card from the carrier and trim using the exacto knife or rotary cutter. Round the corners and you are done! Some times some of the adhesive film glue will come out and deposit itself on the face of the card. Remove this with an alcohol wipe or cotton pad wet with a small amount of alcohol.

You can use a ball point pen to complete the information on the matte side of the card. In my case I wrote my name on the library card and my name and SSN on the health card. These are just like the ones given to me by the issuer.

Good luck!